Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airstream trailers

Hi fellas,

So my wife got this craw up her ass about getting an Airstream trailer. However I'm pretty much on board with it. The new ones can get hella expensive but I have seen some decent deals on used ones between 2001 and 2007 model years. I'm going to check out some even older ones to refurbish since I have most of the needed skills to do it but I think I'd rather go ahead and buy a more recent model and just save myself the work. I'm not 100% decided on that.

I'm looking at 25' to 28' models due to my truck being limited to 7600lbs max towing. The GVRW of the current 28' is exactly 7600lbs. The empty weight of the 28' trailer is just under 6000lbs.

Here are some I'm considering:
    ***** 7/5/15 SALE PENDING ***** 2001 Airstream Safari 27' with twin rear bedroom & custom front wrap-around dinette/lounge (converts to a queen bed). FEATURES: Smok...

This is probably the most expensive I might go with:

Here is a much older used one I might consider. Looks like a lot of the hard work has already been done and the parts for everything else are included:

Has anyone here owned an Airstream? What are your experiences? Do you have any advice. What should I be looking out for?

I also have some towing questions. If my trailer is just under the max towing capacity (and I don't exceed GCombinedWR) will I still have problems going through mountain areas like Colorado? My Ram does have a towing package with a transmission cooler, brake controller, etc. It also has an air suspension for leveling.

Thanks..

I would advise either a smaller trailer or a bigger truck. We had a 17 ft Prowler, and it was easy to throw almost 1k lbs of stuff in it to equip it for camping. Potable water, food, clothing,grills, outdoor lighting and leveling equipment just off the top of my head. Now if your main usage is in a campground that supplies water, electricity and a blue water dump, that takes a bunch of weight off.
    Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

Yeah the GVRW is a total weight rating of the truck, trailer, your family and all your shit. Buying a trailer that is already at your max is not a good idea. Get a smaller trailer, a bigger truck, or lose some lbs
      1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

I loved my airstream. Even though they look big, they aren't really heavy as they're all aluminum. Brilliant toys and generally comfortable but keeping one buffed out is a bitch. They also retain a lot of resale value unlike normal trailers.
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
          Yeah the GVRW is a total weight rating of the truck, trailer, your family and all your shit. Buying a trailer that is already at your max is not a good idea. Get a smaller trailer, a bigger truck, or lose some lbs

Actually, GVWR excludes the trailer and it's contents... You're thinking GCWR for Combined.. But we're picking nits here....

On my RAM the GCWR is 14000. The GVWR is 6400lbs.

Comment

7600 tow rating seems low. Arent the f150's 10k?
            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

I have owned a few RVs and have inspected many for claims. The build quality on the older ones is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                7600 tow rating seems low. Arent the f150's 10k?
                I'm getting conflicting information... the RamTruck towing website says MAX 7600lbs when I give my VIN number... the RamTruck specs, on their website, says the max is 9700lbs. My manual says 8150lbs but that is a hemi v8 with a 6 speed auto. My truck has the 8speed auto with hemi. That isn't even listed in my manual...

As for Ford, I looked at the specs on their website and it depends on what truck and engine you get. The SuperCrew EBv6 4x4 can have over 11000lbs towing. The V8 ranges between 8900 and 10900 depending on how you equip it.

I guess I'll run over to the dealership and get them to look it up in their towing book. That should give me exact numbers..

Comment

Yeah my shortbox 4x4 ecoboost is rated at 9900, 7600 seems low for a full size v8 truck

Comment

What rear end gears do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                      I'm getting conflicting information... the RamTruck towing website says MAX 7600lbs when I give my VIN number... the RamTruck specs, on their website, says the max is 9700lbs. My manual says 8150lbs but that is a hemi v8 with a 6 speed auto. My truck has the 8speed auto with hemi. That isn't even listed in my manual...
                      Yeah, something is definitely not right with those numbers. I have a RCSB Express w/Hemi (3.55 gears) and mine is 9,100 lbs. max trailer and 14,000 lbs. GCWR

If you have a Quad Cab w/Hemi you're looking at 6,600 lbs. with 3.21, 8,600 lbs. with 3.55, and 10,100 lbs. with 3.92

Comment

Damn, I have a 3.21. Well that just means a smaller trailer. The 23' Airstreams are big enough and have a GVWR of 6000. Empty they are 4806.

I could consider as large as a 28foot with an empty weight of 5979 (GVWR 7600) but that isn't practical. As stated earlier, that weight ads up quick. Filling the fresh water tank alone is 325lbs.

Glad I'm researching this now...

Comment

You could always do a gear swap..

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                            You could always do a gear swap..
                            yea, I'll look into it..

Comment

4x4? It won't be cheap either way, but picking up the extra payload might allow you a larger trailer for you and the family.

I've thought about throwing 3.73s into mine, but never did and recently sold my trailer. Still a consideration if I ever get another

Comment

Working...
                              X