Air rifles...junk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air rifles...junk?

My pops has been on an air rifle kick here lately. I bought a black ops 1200fps .177 on a whim for cheap and haven't played with it...anyone horse around with one?

the last one I had was louder than my .22 pretty fun
    Big Rooster Racing
    1985 Mustang GT

Comment

Well...I live in the country and have a large front and back yard full of wabbits...im just thinkin in a SHTF situation, I could have an inexpensive means of acquiring meat. I've read multiple reviews on how they are some what accurate, very inaccurate, highly accurate all depending on what rifle and pellets are being used..

Comment

Originally posted by appelingogt View Post
        Well...I live in the country and have a large front and back yard full of wabbits...im just thinkin in a SHTF situation, I could have an inexpensive means of acquiring meat. I've read multiple reviews on how they are some what accurate, very inaccurate, highly accurate all depending on what rifle and pellets are being used..
        High end air rifles are no joke in the 75 yard and under range. I haven't really messed with them in the last 10 years, but I'd imagine they have improved.

Comment

I really want one myself - but often find myself in Cabelas, the bargain cave -- eyeballing one and think for 50 bucks more or the same price I could have a single shot 22.

I end up "thinking about it" for another 6 months, return - rinse/repeat.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

my brother bought one 15 years ago, and we would occasionally pull it out and hit the stop sign 100 yards away.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I have this one and have killed all kind of pest with it including coyotes. If you decide to put optics on an air rifle make sure it is rated for that. You will kill the toughest non air gun rated scope with a quickness. Try the leapers bug buster line first and you will not be unhappy.

We've got a great price on the Seneca Sumatra 2500, 500cc Reservoir. Get a great price and expert advice at Pyramyd for your next outdoor adventure!
              Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 08-28-2015, 08:20 AM.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Check out the big bore pre-charged rifles, will take deer out past 100yrds , crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by SOLOW55 View Post
                  Check out the big bore pre-charged rifles, will take deer out past 100yrds , crazy.

That is Mr Quackenbush who build those and they are the shit. Pretty cheap too.

Lewis & Clark had an air rifle that would kill a buffalo and it is in the NRA museum I believe.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I'm curious, but is there any real point to this, other than being different? Or, being a felon.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                      I'm curious, but is there any real point to this, other than being different? Or, being a felon.
                      I have been interested in one for cheap and plentiful ammo as a backup for the .22 since the scare several years ago, plus the wife wouldn't bitch about me teaching my almost 4 year old to shoot it. I know they can get pretty powerful and have pretty much been in the same situation as Ceyko mentions.
                      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Yeah, that's another reason for one. Shooting at home/with the kids. I live on 2 acres and have houses on the side and front. In the back is ranch land though. If I were to take the kids in the back yard to shoot a 22, that would not go over as well as me just shooting an air rifle.

"It's just a pellet gun!"
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                          Many states have an extended hunting seasons for air rifles sort of the way that they do for muzzle loaders or bows. Some people just like the extra challenge too.
                          Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 08-29-2015, 10:54 AM.

Comment

If it's a spring driven piston, the biggest thing in accuracy is how your hold it. If you hold it tight, your accuracy will diminish because of the spring unwinding as it expands. A loose grip with an open palm supporting the fore end will allow the gun to absorb the twist. At least this was how I was taught. The piston driven guns don't have this problem and react as a normal rifle would.

I have a gamo bone collector and have been pleased with it, I just use it for plinking and pests around work mostly.

Comment

BUMP

I got an email from MidwayUSA with a discount for my birthday coming up (yeah, I'm old).

We're on 8 acres in the city and I've been toying with the idea of a decent pellet rifle since we moved in. I'm just looking to shoot rabbits, squirrels, etc. and I don't want a piece of junk.

I'm looking at something like this: Umarex Gauntlet PCP Air Rifle

List price on the .22 cal is $334 and my price is $264 with the discount.

Have any of you toyed with anything like this?

Comment

Working...
                              X