Beef Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
    If you look at the prices of beef these days, it makes sense. Doesn't make it any less outrageous, but it at least makes sense. Jerky makers never have absorbed the cost of water weight lost, etc. It's just that beef is outrageous and jerky prices reflect that more than anything. And obviously, processing carries a cost as well.
    ..and it's one thing to pay 20-40 dollars a pound for good jerky. Some of this crap is horrible and still 20-30 dollars a pound. When decent jerky exceeded 20 a pound I went to making my own. Customization...etc...etc also makes it worth my time.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
      ..and it's one thing to pay 20-40 dollars a pound for good jerky. Some of this crap is horrible and still 20-30 dollars a pound. When decent jerky exceeded 20 a pound I went to making my own. Customization...etc...etc also makes it worth my time.
      True.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Rought numbers, jack link's is ~$21 a pound.

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Fischers in Muenster is $26lb I think and Peanut Shoppe in Durant is $23lb
          2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Rudolph's Meat Market in Deep Ellum is the best jerky I've ever had. Sucks not living across the street anymore. Goes for $30/lb.

Comment

Bucc ee at the new Ft. Worth store

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                Fucking stick to a Slim Jim then!
                Mechanically separated chicken!
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                  Robertson's jerky is the shiznit
                  By far my favorite jerky.. I like that it is thin and very dry and I chew it like long cut tobacco (except I swallow the juice, of course).. I absolutely despise juicy / moist beef jerky.

Comment

Y'all who think these chain store jerky meat is good - should take the time to start making your own. I make anywhere from 3-10 pound (Dried) batches and invest about 3-7 hours of time to make it. I'm guesstimating it is around 10 dollars a pound (dried) for my cost. (meat, wood, electric, seasoning and other materials.)

Even a cheap dehydrator is good enough, I upgraded since I tend to do a ton of meat at a time. Heck ovens can do the trick too if they have a low enough temp.

Anyway, if you really like jerky it is worth the time and financial investment to do it yourself - even with store bought seasonings and such. Make it is a thick, thin, dry, moist, smoked, salty, hot, peppery...etc as you want. My preference is very dry, salty with heavy-ish smoke along with the seasoning. So I just add extra curing salt.
                    Originally posted by MR EDD
                    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Texas Slabs in Mansfield has good Jerky. Much better yhan Woodys imo.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                        Normally I wouldn't bother talking about beef jerky. But my mom stopped at this place in the Hill Country and brought me back a pound of this. I ate it all in a week!

This jerky is real smoky, a little spicy, not too salty, and you can taste the beef it's made from. All I can say is it tastes like it should, not a bunch of processed crap. It was purchased at the store, where it came in a paper bag and cut into long strips. The online photos show it cubed and in a plastic bag, so not sure if it's exactly the same. But what I had would be worth a drive. It is so good I had to start a thread.

http://www.whittingtonsjerky.com/hot-beef-jerky/
                        You right, it is probably the best beef jerky I have ever had the pleasure of putting in my mouth. My wife was bitching about $35.00 a pound, but she couldn't stop eating it once we got into the car, haha! We were staying at the Domain in NW Austin, from there we went up to Cedar Park and took FM1431 to Marble Falls, stopped at the square and had a pretty damned good burger at Bills I think was the name of it.
                        Then to Whittingtons, loaded up on some jerky and headed to Luckenbach. We had a few Lone Star beers, listened to a local for a bit and then headed to Fredricksburg. Got back to the Westin by 8:15 and watched the sunset from our top floor sipping on a bottle of Rombauer Chardonnay, it was our anniversary after all.

Thanks for the hook up Danny...

ps Chili Parlor rocked my fucking face off too!
                        Originally posted by Silverback
                        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Man, that is a BAD ASS road trip you're on. My parents are moving to Wimberley and I'm stoked to spend a little more time in the Hill Country. Glad you liked that stuff too! I hope you brought some back for me
                          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                            Man, that is a BAD ASS road trip you're on. My parents are moving to Wimberley and I'm stoked to spend a little more time in the Hill Country. Glad you liked that stuff too! I hope you brought some back for me
                            Yes, it was a beautiful trip, I've/we've never been to that part of Texas and it was well worth the trip. We usually go out of state somewhere for our anniversary, but since we just bought a new house, we decided to do a stay'cation in Texas. Right before you get to the Travis/Burnet county line there is a road that goes to a state park ($5.00 honor system entry fee) with a boat ramp to the Colorado river, absolutely beautiful. Singleton road, also goes over Cow creek, which also goes over FM1431, crystal clear water on a small bridge, great pictures.

If you move there, I will be coming to visit! Oh and I would share the jerk, but then I have to share with everyone...
                            Originally posted by Silverback
                            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                              If you move there, I will be coming to visit! Oh and I would share the jerk, but then I have to share with everyone...
                              I'm not moving there; my parents are. I'm moving to Mexico!
                              When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                                Yes, it was a beautiful trip, I've/we've never been to that part of Texas and it was well worth the trip. We usually go out of state somewhere for our anniversary, but since we just bought a new house, we decided to do a stay'cation in Texas. Right before you get to the Travis/Burnet county line there is a road that goes to a state park ($5.00 honor system entry fee) with a boat ramp to the Colorado river, absolutely beautiful. Singleton road, also goes over Cow creek, which also goes over FM1431, crystal clear water on a small bridge, great pictures.

Hope you did the wine tours and tasting while in Fredericksburg. Always a good time. If you're still there stop in at 4 points and grab some jalapeƱo cheddar from Veldhuizen.
                                Originally posted by BradM
                                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                                Originally posted by Leah
                                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Working...
                                X