Sinkhole swallows 8 cars at National Corvette Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinkhole swallows 8 cars at National Corvette Museum

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. -- Eight Corvettes at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green are gone after a sinkhole opened under the Skydome portion of the facility Wednesday morning.
    According to a news release, the museum's security company alerted officials around 5:44 a.m. Wednesday when movement in the Skydome set off motion detectors.
    Museum officials said when the arrived at the building they discovered the sinkhole and the Bowling Green Fire Department secured the area.
    The release stated the following cars were affected:
    1993 ZR-1 Spyder on loan from General Motors
    2009 ZR1 “Blue Devil” on loan from General Motors
    The other six vehicles were owned by the National Corvette Museum including:
    1962 Black Corvette
    1984 PPG Pace Car
    1992 White 1 Millionth Corvette
    1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Corvette
    2001 Mallett Hammer Z06 Corvette
    2009 White 1.5 Millionth Corvette
    Stuctural engineers are being called in to survey the damage.
    The museum is open to the public, but officials said the Skydome is closed to everyone, including employees, until it is deemed structurally sound.
    BARBIE LOVES BULLITT991 3.17.07
    I'm a Barbie girl...In my Barbie world...
    PROUD OWNER: '04 AZURE BLUE MACH 1

Sinkhole swallows 8 cars at National Corvette Museum

Wow.

Multiple sources are reporting that a large sinkhole has opened up inside the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green Kentucky this morning and eight cars have been swallowed into the (estimated) 20-foot deep pit. It has been reported that the hole opened up at roughly 5:30 this morning and the apparent motion of the cars triggered a security alarm causing guards to investigate the area. We honestly do not believe this story to be a hoax as multiple news-gathering organizations in the area are reporting on it. The hole is apparently about as large across as the pedestal area where the 8 cars were being displayed.

The sinkhole is located in the Sky Dome portion of the museum. We are going to update this story with more information as we gather it. Surely this is one of the most bizarre things we have ever heard of or reported on here at BangShift.

UPDATE: Museum officials were allowed to remove one car from the Sky Dome, which was the only 1983 Corvette ever produced.

Update: Here are the eight cars currently in the sinkhole – (this from a Corvette Museum statement) -

It is with heavy hearts that we report that eight Corvettes were affected by this incident. Those cars include:

1993 ZR-1 Spyder on loan from General Motors
    2009 ZR1 “Blue Devil” on loan from General Motors
    The other six vehicles were owned by the National Corvette Museum including:

1962 Black Corvette
    1984 PPG Pace Car
    1992 White 1 Millionth Corvette
    1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Corvette
    2001 Mallett Hammer Z06 Corvette
    2009 White 1.5 Millionth Corvette
    None of the cars affected were on loan from individuals. We have contacted a structural engineer who is arriving today to assess the existing damage and stability of the surrounding areas. While the Skydome area is closed, the remainder of the Museum is still open.

Thanks to Haley for the tip!

Comment

I was first!

Comment

I was first.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
          I was first.
          No you weren't.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
            No you weren't.

Prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbie View Post
              I was first!
              No you weren't.
              2015 Premium GT (50th Anniversary Package)
              2014 Lincoln MKT

Comment

I was first!

Comment

2015 Premium GT (50th Anniversary Package)
                  2014 Lincoln MKT

Comment

Dayum! I've driven past the museum multiple times, but never stopped-in. It's literally a mile away from the Bowling Green assembly plant.

Comment

Looks like Eric is winning.

Comment

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post

Maybe it's just my computer, but I've been trying for ten minutes to get the feed working on this. Anyone found any pics yet?

Edit: Got 1 to work but they took the Skydome feed down.

Comment

It took awhile to load the feed, but after it loaded all it shows is what looks like the entrance to the are where it happened. When you choose the skydome camera it just says camera is down.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                              Maybe it's just my computer, but I've been trying for ten minutes to get the feed working on this. Anyone found any pics yet?

Edit: Got 1 to work but they took the Skydome feed down.
                              it never came up on my phone either, I assume they are getting crazy amounts of people trying to view the cams.
                              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X