DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > The Garage > Tech

Tech Automotive Tech, Ford, Chevy, if it's tech, it's in here.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
lowthreeohz
lol wut

Question Ecoboost turbo whistle at WOT?

Just happened recently, noticing MPG a few tenths down on my usual drive and the truck feels a little sluggish as well. No strange noises or anything until wide open. All of the cold side connections feel good and solid. Could a faulty wastegate be to blame? What else should I look for?

Thanks y'all
lowthreeohz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:33 PM   #2
4king
---E

Inspect air filter element for restrictions.

Have you noticed any excessive oil consumption that could indicate a damaged turbo charger
Old 08-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #3
lowthreeohz
lol wut

I'll once over everything again tonight after I get done at the FD. I also got to thinking maybe it's a belt issue, but since the truck limits rpms in park or neutral, I can't spin the motor up in the driveway to isolate it much further.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
cool cat
Lifer

Change your name to Bubb Rubb and live with it.

Are you still making the same amount of boost as before?
cool cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #5
lowthreeohz
lol wut

no boost gauge so it's hard to tell.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
DON SVO
The Bad
VIP Member

Similar to the issues I had with my Mazdasoeed when the wastegate failed internally. Mazda replaced the turbocharger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtuckteezy
dont downshift!!
Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.
DON SVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:56 PM   #7
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex
VIP Member

Sweet, free shit!
Rick Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #8
lowthreeohz
lol wut

I'll drop it by the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. Looks like turbo failures are a bit more common than I would have hoped.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:34 AM   #9
lowthreeohz
lol wut

I checked the oil this morning and noticed it smells pretty strong of gas. Only about 1300 miles on this oil change too. It's at the dealer now, so we'll see what they say.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #10
lowthreeohz
lol wut

Finally heard back from the dealership - good news is the turbo is fine.. one of the CAC hoses failed and that's where the noise was coming from. I think there's a TSB for this but I didn't get the number from the advisor.

The more important one - gas "smell" in oil - is also covered by TSB 14-0014, 14-0040 and finally 15-0003 which is rectified by new PCV, brake booster hoses, a PCM reflash, oil change, and a block heater (that I thought I'd never need but may be nice to have on those 0* mornings here)

Happy that this is all covered by warranty and I should have the truck back tomorrow afternoon.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #11
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex
VIP Member

That's great!

What year model is your truck?
Old 08-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #12
lowthreeohz
lol wut

Henry, it's a '13. Looks like any 11-14 models may be affected by it.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #13
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthreeohz View Post
Henry, it's a '13. Looks like any 11-14 models may be affected by it.
OK Kyle, thanks. I have a few friends down here that have that year model F-Juan Fiddy, I'll pass this along to them.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #14
Darren M
Horse Trader
VIP Member

The BOVs have been known to develop leaks too. May not be your issue, just an fyi. 2015 SHO here. Love my SCT handheld for this exact reason.
There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.
Darren M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #15
ELVIS
Disturbingly Handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthreeohz View Post
Finally heard back from the dealership - good news is the turbo is fine.. one of the CAC hoses failed and that's where the noise was coming from. I think there's a TSB for this but I didn't get the number from the advisor.

The more important one - gas "smell" in oil - is also covered by TSB 14-0014, 14-0040 and finally 15-0003 which is rectified by new PCV, brake booster hoses, a PCM reflash, oil change, and a block heater (that I thought I'd never need but may be nice to have on those 0* mornings here)

Happy that this is all covered by warranty and I should have the truck back tomorrow afternoon.
man i changed my own oil for the first time in decades....that shit smelled so strongly of gas, i could have poured the old oil back in the tank! i guess i will be heading to the ford house. 2014 fx2 ecoboost.

god bless.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #16
Darren M
Horse Trader
VIP Member

Get a catch can?
There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:19 AM   #17
lowthreeohz
lol wut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren M View Post
The BOVs have been known to develop leaks too. May not be your issue, just an fyi. 2015 SHO here. Love my SCT handheld for this exact reason.
I actually picked it back up and they didn't fix the issue. Long story short, the tech told me he didn't have time to troubleshoot my truck even though the issue was present and easily reproducible on the road. Something about warranty not paying diag time. I opened a case with corporate, filed a complaint with my local dealer, and will be taking it to another place (45 min away) when I find the time. Guess I got a new CAC hose out of the deal though.. But I agree, and honestly it sounds like a BOV failure but aforementioned tech swore up and down they were actuating properly, I asked if he confirmed the pressure they were opening at but this dude was dumb as rocks so I didn't get much ground covered with him before giving up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
man i changed my own oil for the first time in decades....that shit smelled so strongly of gas, i could have poured the old oil back in the tank! i guess i will be heading to the ford house. 2014 fx2 ecoboost.

god bless.
Yeah dude, take it in and get them to do the TSB. If they argue with you about it tell them that the oil level has been rising over the course of 1-2k. Reference the 15-xxxx TSB number I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren M View Post
Get a catch can?
I didn't, however that will be next on the list after I get this thing sorted out. Supposedly the new flash and stuff helps eliminate the need for one, however, I haven't seen any reason NOT to put one on.

Will update when I get it into the new dealer and hear something back. thanks for all the suggestions guys.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:52 AM   #18
Darren M
Horse Trader
VIP Member

It may be a bit out of your way but Charlie Mann at Southwest Ford in Hudson Oaks is THE only guy I go to.

3000 Fort Worth Hwy, Weatherford, TX 76087

Tell him I sent you.

Edit: Mod friendly, just don't upgrade the turbos
Old 09-08-2017, 07:07 AM   #19
lowthreeohz
lol wut

Appreciate that, but I live in Virginia now.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #20
Darren M
Horse Trader
VIP Member

Lol, my bad

Tags
150k mile turbos, autozone tune