Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting a new line of youtube videos. Need feedback.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a new line of youtube videos. Need feedback.

I've done how to videos for beginner mechanics for a long time now. I've done alright with them, helped out a lot of people. Now I am starting up a line of videos that detail the known problems with used cars. Trying to do it with my own brand of humor.

So yeah, against my better judgement, I am looking for feedback. What am I doing right, what am I doing wrong, etc? Most importantly if you didn't know jack about these cars and were looking to buy, would you find it helpful?

These videos are NSFW due to language.

Hire a hot chick to point at items to look at.

Comment

The reverse cooling is not why regular unleaded can be used. It's because of the knock sensor. LT4 motors have their own knock module which does not pick up the same frequencies as the LT1 making it less sensitive where premium is a requirement. The reverse cooling is one of the best traits for the LT1 because you can run up to 11.5CR , and some go a bit higher on the street.
      Also, there has been a lot of misconceptions about when optis are wet they are trashed. That usually is not the case. I had waterpump leak onto the opti for a week before I figured out why my car was running like shit. Dried it out and it was fine. You'll probably run into that more with the pre-vented optis, however. The biggest problem with the opti are the rotor screws. They are extremely small can would back out causing the rotor to spin freely and fire whatever cylinder at will. Delphi still makes a good unit. My SVO moment came when I threatened legal action against Frank Parra. They would not fix my opti issue under warranty stating the aftermarket heads on the engine at the time were to blame. My lawyer got the service manager to admit over the phone the heads were not the reason. Two weeks before court they settled and reimbursed all expenses. Great videos. Lovely Jorts.

Comment

Is this real?
        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

I think your style is fine, you just need to add production value. Edit it so you're not hitting record and walking to take your mark. Invest a little bit of cash into a decent lav mike so the sound is better. I've had luck with Rode brand sound equipment. I would also do your best to minimize camera shake for your detail insert shots.

Otherwise, I think you have the hard part down. You seem comfortable in front of the camera and that's the hard part.

Comment

Get a nice microphone, record in a quiet room, my main issue was audio quality. You are going to need to do some editing to overlay your nice audio with video.
            Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Perhaps offer a summary slide at the beginning and a detailed summary slide at the end. It's a lot to ask someone to watch a 9 minute video of you just standing there and talking.
              WRX

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                The reverse cooling is not why regular unleaded can be used. It's because of the knock sensor. LT4 motors have their own knock module which does not pick up the same frequencies as the LT1 making it less sensitive where premium is a requirement. The reverse cooling is one of the best traits for the LT1 because you can run up to 11.5CR , and some go a bit higher on the street.
                Also, there has been a lot of misconceptions about when optis are wet they are trashed. That usually is not the case. I Great videos. Lovely Jorts.
                Interesting, always heard that the lower combustion temps is what allowed for regular gas at that compression. I can put that in the video notes. Most people just let the opti go until it's too far gone. Yes, I know about the jorts, my sister always jokes that Stone Cold Steve Austin called and wants his shorts back.

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                Is this real?
                Yeah...

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                I think your style is fine, you just need to add production value. Edit it so you're not hitting record and walking to take your mark. Invest a little bit of cash into a decent lav mike so the sound is better. I've had luck with Rode brand sound equipment. I would also do your best to minimize camera shake for your detail insert shots.

Otherwise, I think you have the hard part down. You seem comfortable in front of the camera and that's the hard part.
                I agree about the production value, the camaro video was my first one and I started taking more time between shots so I could fade it in. Will look into those mics.

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                Get a nice microphone, record in a quiet room, my main issue was audio quality. You are going to need to do some editing to overlay your nice audio with video.
                Agreed 100%, the audio is a huge problem. Not just with wind noise, but i have neighbors mowing, rooster crowing, dog barking, etc. Been considering narrating some of the basic auido.

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
                Perhaps offer a summary slide at the beginning and a detailed summary slide at the end. It's a lot to ask someone to watch a 9 minute video of you just standing there and talking.
                Good point. I try to keep the video's under 5 mins, but sometimes I really have to cover a lot of different engine combos and what not.

Comment

Glad you're getting after it. Takes initiative, and stones.
                  Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Originally posted by barronj View Post
                    Glad you're getting after it. Takes initiative, and stones.
                    Pretty much stems from not giving a crap about what people think of me. Heck, being a member on here has pretty much given me the hide of a rhino.

The how to videos are work, I'm just having fun with this series.

Comment

Glad to know that theres another youtuber on the board. I started doing vids in Feb and my channel is starting to do really well. Good job on the videos.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
                        Glad to know that theres another youtuber on the board. I started doing vids in Feb and my channel is starting to do really well. Good job on the videos.
                        Yep. 20K views away from 1 million hits on my channel. 450K of them came last year and my viewership is up this year. Hoping I can get this new series to doing as well as my how to videos.

Comment

While I am not a YouTube expert I have watched what a lot of successful Youtubers have done over the years. From thousands to hundreds of thousands if not millions of subscribers.

Here is my list of suggestions ( what has also been repeated by well known Youtubers):
                          - You need better quality i.e. Video and audio
                          - Make your titles more specific that will trigger searches
                          - Upload more frequently i.e. Weekly then once you're more popular multiple times a week
                          - You need some sort of referral / shoutout / or "collab" with a recognized you tuber with a following i.e. Eric the car guy (this will really fast track your process)
                          - Figure out how to use an editing software and up the production of your videos
                          - Be enjoyable to watch

Good Luck

* Just looked at your channel. Bullet two and three applies the most in your case. Look at what has the most views, specific problems. I bet that's where your subs came from. Stick that route and upload more. Out of all those videos why would you post the ones you posted? Lol You do have some solid views though. Stick that route, forget the rest until you're bigger. You want 100k videos, not 82 view videos.
                          Last edited by 347Mike; 04-19-2016, 01:36 AM.
                          Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                          Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                            Yes, I know about the jorts, my sister always jokes that Stone Cold Steve Austin called and wants his shorts back.
                            You mean, the jorts weren't intentional???

Comment

Kill the fucking rooster.

Comment

Working...
                              X