Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to store gun with a kid in the house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
    He's 2? Well in future years, how about just put a lock on the bedroom door and deny access to him and his little friends. You could do one of them fancy fingerprint locks for you and the wife, for convenience. That way the only way he could go in there is if you're in there.
    That is the approach we took as well when ours started moving around but before he could understand why guns can be dangerous, tbough we just used a regular door lock. I had the small safe more to protect against theft at that point but like I said we moved and I have not installed it yet, though I should. I still don't leave a loaded pistol on the night stand where my son can reach it, but I also feel comfortable that he is educated enough about guns that if he comes across one here or somewhere else he will leave it alone and inform an adult. I feel so strongly it is important to educate them with guns very early because your shit can be locked down better than fort knox, but a friend or relative may just leave them lying around another house. The excuse of "he found his dad's gun" is bullshit. If you hid something and make it this secret hidden object kids want to find it and see what it is. Make it a known public object and they lose interest. Just like Area 51 vs Lackland Air Force base in San Antonio. No one gives a fuck about Lackland, but people sure want to sit on mountains and get pictures of Area 51 because it is top secret and is a cool hidden mythical place. That is how I see kids and guns, anyway.
    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

As has been said, education is key. My kids know, but they are also 14 and 10. They've known for years. As Casey said too, it's your kids' friends that can be a problem. With that said, here's what I do...

I have a safe similar to the Sentry above attached inside my drawer in the kitchen (the one with the change bowl, a basket for my wallet, keys, etc.). In it is my XDS and LCP for whenever I'm carrying. It opens quickly whenever I need it.

I also have a nightstand with a hidden compartment that my boys know nothing about. I keep a G17 there. You would never know the nightstand had this compartment.

All other weapons are locked in the big safe unless I hear craziness going on outside -then I just put something on the end table next to me on the couch temporarily.

Comment

He's 2? Well in future years, how about just put a lock on the bedroom door and deny access to him and his little friends. You could do one of them fancy fingerprint locks for you and the wife, for convenience. That way the only way he could go in there is if you're in there.
        That probably would have seemed like a good idea before I had a kid...but now that I have one I see why it's not.

For that to be effective, you would literally have to lock the kid out of your room while you're getting ready, watching TV...etc. it's substantially more practical to just get a small safe than to try and turn an entire living space into a safe. What is the benefit of that over a safe anyways?

What I'm curious about is the speed and effectiveness of these small biometric safes which sound like the best solution if they work as advertised.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
          That probably would have seemed like a good idea before I had a kid...but now that I have one I see why it's not.

For that to be effective, you would literally have to lock the kid out of your room while you're getting ready, watching TV...etc. it's substantially more practical to just get a small safe than to try and turn an entire living space into a safe. What is the benefit of that over a safe anyways?

What I'm curious about is the speed and effectiveness of these small biometric safes which sound like the best solution if they work as advertised.
          Speed, ease of access, and practicality. For something that's going to be bedside that you may have to fumble around to open in the dark while in a panic, you may not want to mess around with a tumbler lock or even a key that some of the smaller gun vaults have. You want something you can open by "feel". I haven't messed around with any of them that have a fingerprint or RFID reader but my Gunvault has been bulletproof for close to 15 years. and I've only had to change batteries on it once.

This is what mine looks like. It's a Gunvault GV2000. Easily fits two handguns plus magazines and a flashlight. I've easily stuffed four handguns into it in a pinch when my niece and nephews were younger and came over.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
            Speed, ease of access, and practicality. For something that's going to be bedside that you may have to fumble around to open in the dark while in a panic, you may not want to mess around with a tumbler lock or even a key that some of the smaller gun vaults have. You want something you can open by "feel". I haven't messed around with any of them that have a fingerprint or RFID reader but my Gunvault has been bulletproof for close to 15 years. and I've only had to change batteries on it once.

This is what mine looks like. It's a Gunvault GV2000. Easily fits two handguns plus magazines and a flashlight. I've easily stuffed four handguns into it in a pinch when my niece and nephews were younger and came over.

Thanks for a thorough answer.

How quick to open and have you ever had troubles getting into it?

Comment

What is the benefit of that over a safe anyways?
              Being able to just reach over and grab a gun, vs having to get into a safe. Even if the safe is easy to open, there is no way its ever going to be faster than just reaching and picking up a gun. If you're laying in bed asleep, someone breaking in has the advantage. If they don't make a loud enough noise, you may not ever notice them.

They might even be able to pull off entering your bedroom without waking you. Thus, you need every advantage you can muster in that situation. Having to open up a safe and get the gun out, doesn't bode well for your chances if the guy has been staring at you for who knows how long before you even knew he was there. If you're able to just grab a gun and start shooting as soon as you realize what is going on, you may surprise him/them and win through.

Although with proper education and introduction to firearms this may never be a problem. If you totally trust the kid and their little friends. I don't like leaving things like that to chance.
              WH

Comment

I'm not so worried about my kids as I am their friends. My guns and ammo are on lock down and out of site.
                Originally posted by GE View Post
                Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                Thats the one I have. Works good.
                Thirded. Excellent safe.

Comment

Being able to just reach over and grab a gun, vs having to get into a safe. Even if the safe is easy to open, there is no way its ever going to be faster than just reaching and picking up a gun. If you're laying in bed asleep, someone breaking in has the advantage. If they don't make a loud enough noise, you may not ever notice them.

They might even be able to pull off entering your bedroom without waking you. Thus, you need every advantage you can muster in that situation. Having to open up a safe and get the gun out, doesn't bode well for your chances if the guy has been staring at you for who knows how long before you even knew he was there. If you're able to just grab a gun and start shooting as soon as you realize what is going on, you may surprise him/them and win through.

Although with proper education and introduction to firearms this may never be a problem. If you totally trust the kid and their little friends. I don't like leaving things like that to chance.
                  I can see where you're coming from but the probability of that happening in my house is just about 0 between alarms, animals and how light I sleep.

But the probability of a kid grabbing the gun off the night stand while I'm getting ready is much higher...hence wanting a quick biometrics safe.

Comment

My suggestion on safes is to go to youtube. Should be plenty of video reviews and demonstrations of speed access to help you decide. Also before you buy don't forget to measure where you want to stick it it.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                      My suggestion on safes is to go to youtube. Should be plenty of video reviews and demonstrations of speed access to help you decide. Also before you buy don't forget to measure where you want to stick it it.
                      Good channel suggestions?

I don't want to run into a channel that's actually paid to advertise the products because of the conflict of interest.

Comment

This is what mine looks like. It's a Gunvault GV2000. Easily fits two handguns plus magazines and a flashlight.
                        This is the one I have next to my bed, I keep the .40 with Talons in it for home invasion uses. It's been great, I have the half size of that one though.
                        Originally posted by Silverback
                        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Thanks for a thorough answer.

How quick to open and have you ever had troubles getting into it?
                          Literally like a second once my hand is on the keypad, it's that fast. It probably takes longer to reach in and grab my gun. They offer a model that "presents" the gun to your hand. Can't think of an easy way to describe it but when it opens the gun is in a position that you can easily grab it.

I had one problem with it that turned out to be a couple of almost dead batteries I was trying to use when the first set were going out (should have checked them first). It comes with a key to get into it if the batteries are dead or for some reason the buttons aren't working.

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                          This is the one I have next to my bed, I keep the .40 with Talons in it for home invasion uses. It's been great, I have the half size of that one though.
                          Right on! I have one by my bed and another in my office.

Comment

Good channel suggestions?

I don't want to run into a channel that's actually paid to advertise the products because of the conflict of interest.
                            No idea. I get the feeling most of the popular channels get free shit to do positive reviews for. I would be looking more for a demonstration on acces, how fast it reads prints, etc. Might try going by cabelas or bass pro, sometimes they have models out on demo to look at. Figure all of them should be sturdy enough to keep a kid out, so you are probably most concerned about size and speed of access.

Comment

Literally like a second once my hand is on the keypad, it's that fast. It probably takes longer to reach in and grab my gun. They offer a model that "presents" the gun to your hand. Can't think of an easy way to describe it but when it opens the gun is in a position that you can easily grab it.
                              I have one of those bolted to the side of my night stand. It's vertical and the door drops open, the pistol is stored in foam like it is in a holster, and there's a light inside. It's super easy and fast but keeps my kid safe.

Comment

I have a biometric gun safe, it requires just one swipe of a single finger to open. Also has combination and key for entry as well. I can open it in about 2 seconds. I your it at Costco a few years ago on sale for around $99 and couldn't be happier. I actually bolted it into my center console in my truck to store my pistols while I'm somewhere I don't want to carry.

Comment

Working...
                                X