What would you pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you pay

I've been asked a few times by people on the board for replicas of their car, or their project, etc. As I have gotten back into building models, I've realized that I honestly don't have much interest in displaying everything that I build, and what is the point of putting it in a box and storing it. There are lots of great subjects that interest me, and that I plan to build, however, what is the point of all of them sitting on my shelf!

I started poking around ebay and have seen some "basic" builds going for $100-200. These appear to be builds using kit parts, with the addition of some wiring and hoses. Things that could be produced in a week or two of off and on building and painting.

My question is this, what would a basic detailed replica of your car be worth to you?
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

I plan to test the market eventually on a high detail build. I'm planning to put my #11 Denny Hamlin car up on ebay and setting a reserve at $300-400 and see how high it goes.

Comment

Tough to say. I've built mine before, and it was really just for the fun of it. I personally would probably be out at anything above $100, but I'd be willing to provide the kit. I think I have a couple un-built versions laying around that would be close to perfect. Seats and especially wheels would be a huge challenge to match though.

Comment

I have a 1964 1/2 Mustang Pace Car replica (like this picture) and would love to have a scale model version of it. I bought a convertible Pace Car model many years ago with the intent of using the decals on a coupe version but I don't build model cars so...

Do you have a ballpark price you're thinking?

Comment

Unless this has changed in recent years, it's tough to find a decent coupe model kit. There was one from AMT, but it was weird. I much prefer the Monogram/Revell kits. I'm not expert though.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
            Tough to say. I've built mine before, and it was really just for the fun of it. I personally would probably be out at anything above $100, but I'd be willing to provide the kit. I think I have a couple un-built versions laying around that would be close to perfect. Seats and especially wheels would be a huge challenge to match though.

Kit provided, $75 to $100 would probably be the ballpark for a basic build, Minor wiring and detailing, with the primary focus being on the paint/exterior details as that is what is generally seen sitting on a shelf. What seats and wheels?

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
            I have a 1964 1/2 Mustang Pace Car replica (like this picture) and would love to have a scale model version of it. I bought a convertible Pace Car model many years ago with the intent of using the decals on a coupe version but I don't build model cars so...

Do you have a ballpark price you're thinking?
            Honestly, I haven't put a terrible amount of thought into it just yet. It would really depend on the amount of detail desired and the number of parts or scratch building that would be required to achieve said detail. The problem with that particular car as blake mentioned is that they are rare. The AMT is 1/16th scale, and from the box art, the proportions look "off". The Revell kits seem to be convertible or fast back. There have been some resin bodies, I think there is a 1966, though I'm not versed enough to know the nuances between the early years. It would probably require a coupe kit and a resin hood from say that 66 to make a complete coupe body. The problem with this kind of work is it gets expensive fast!

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
            Unless this has changed in recent years, it's tough to find a decent coupe model kit. There was one from AMT, but it was weird. I much prefer the Monogram/Revell kits. I'm not expert though.
            Revell is generally better than AMT in overall quality. However, AMT has a tendency to have more tiny details than revell.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
              Revell is generally better than AMT in overall quality. However, AMT has a tendency to have more tiny details than revell.
              I believe that. I just didn't like the way the AMT kit assembled. Just had some weird things about it. I actually didn't even bother finishing the coupe because I just didn't like it. I have built a few of the larger scale 64.5/65 coupes by AMT that were better, but still weird by comparison. That Revell/Monogram fastback/convertible is just great. Wish they would make a coupe.

Comment

Kit provided, $75 to $100 would probably be the ballpark for a basic build, Minor wiring and detailing, with the primary focus being on the paint/exterior details as that is what is generally seen sitting on a shelf. What seats and wheels?
                05ish Acura RSX seats (they're pretty distinctive looking) and US Mags Rambler Wheels in 17". Might get away with a Halibrand looking wheel at that scale.

Comment

These are close

Check out Foose Rims Shelby Cobra 1/25 by rolsen01 on Shapeways and discover more 3D printed products in Vehicles.

Revell released an RSX kit, though I've never seen the contents, so I'm not sure how accurate the seats would be. And this is where price tends to get out of hand, buying a single kit for one pair of seats!

It is a shame I didn't stick with learning solid works and 3D modelling!

Comment

These are close

Check out Foose Rims Shelby Cobra 1/25 by rolsen01 on Shapeways and discover more 3D printed products in Vehicles.

Revell released an RSX kit, though I've never seen the contents, so I'm not sure how accurate the seats would be. And this is where price tends to get out of hand, buying a single kit for one pair of seats!

It is a shame I didn't stick with learning solid works and 3D modelling!
                    Yeah I figured that's where it would get crazy. Shame to buy a poopy RSX model for the seats, lol.

Those wheels do look pretty close though.

Comment

I’d prob be interested in one for my car, as long as you’d be able to replicate the Goodyear billboard tires on it.
                      "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
                      http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
                      Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                      Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
                      http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
                      www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
                      sigpic

Comment

I bet if you offer CJ a handy he could 3D print you some cool shit for you.

Comment

I'd pay somewhere between jack and shit. That's no slight to yours or anyone's modeling capabilities, I just have no use for a model of my car. I'm more likely to get Christopher a matching Power Wheels when he gets old enough.

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
                            I’d prob be interested in one for my car, as long as you’d be able to replicate the Goodyear billboard tires on it.
                            I've got a cobra kit in the closet. Just let me know when you're ready! Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                              I'd pay somewhere between jack and shit. That's no slight to yours or anyone's modeling capabilities, I just have no use for a model of my car. I'm more likely to get Christopher a matching Power Wheels when he gets old enough.
                              They make Prius power wheels now?

Comment

Working...
                              X