Chef's knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chef's knife

Say i want to spend $150 or so on a chef's knife. What would you recommend?

You might reach out to Yale, he just bought some white power knife for like 20 bucks.

Comment

I'm venturing in to Japanese steel. I've got a Shun Premier and a Miyabi Kaizen II. Of the two, I prefer the Shun.

There is another brand that seems to be making waves. Let me see if I can remember the name. I'll get back to you.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Another vote for Shun. I've had this set for 2 years now and have 0 complaints.

If you're ever in San Antonio and want to fondle some serious knives don't miss Rodriguez Butcher Supply
        Vacuum Sealers, Meat Grinders, Japanese Cutlery, American Cutlery, German Cutlery all in San Antonio TX, Custom knives, Kitchen appliances, Knives

Comment

Go to Sur La Table or something and see touch and feel. The way a knife feels in your hand is as important as how it's made. Get what feels balanced and comfortable. There are some things to take in to account when buying a knife. Like material, forged/stamped, full tang, etc.

Now that I'm on a PC I'll elaborate on the Shun vs Miyabi. I saw several people saying the Miyabi was a superior build quality. I happened to catch the chef's knife on sale for like $50, so I bit. I don't dislike it. The blade is lighter, and thinner. Which can be good for certain tasks. But I don't want my large Chef's knife to flex like this one does. I want that kind of flex out of a boning or paring knife, but not a large Chef's knife.

The Shun is not without it's own problems. The Premier can be prone to chipping at the edge, and I've even seen some flaking before. It's a mass production take on a hand hammered blade, and as such, these flaws run the chipping and flaking risk. I like the heavier blade of the Shun. It feels more sturdy in your hand. My view here could be tainted. I'm coming from German steel, which are all significantly thicker and heavier blades. The Miyabi has the light blade, and it's more difficult to let the blade of the weight do the work. You have to use some pressure. Nothing outrageous, I'm just not used to it. The Shun is considerably lighter than the German steel as well, but you can still let the weight do the work. The Shun also feels sharper. I need to do a tomato test, but both need to be sharpened before hand.

This is the company I've seen several comment on. I don't know anything about them, but I know a lot of people in the BGE group like them very much.
          The ultimate workhorse! Perfect for fruits, vegetables and chicken breast. Curved blade allows the knife to rock for fine mincing.

I've considered a few carbon steel knives as well. I just don't have time for another hobby.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

My main use kitchen knives are a nice set of Henckel's but for filleting ribeyes, pork, fish and cow tongues, I use an Alaska Knives Steelhead fillet knife, its all stainless steel and has just enough flex to get all the meat and leave the bone and fat...
            Originally posted by Silverback
            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

christian has one of these, it's nice.

The Classic Ikon series delivers exceptional balance, beauty and the ultimate cutting experience. Shop now and discover its sophistication!
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I have several Tojiro knives and no complaints.
                For decades, Tojiro knives have served as a gateway into the world of high end Japanese cutlery for professional and home cooks alike. In the DP series, Tojiros excellent treatment of VG-10 core steel provides for extreme keenness without sacrificing edge integrity or retention. The core steel is laminated with softer stainless steel which enhances the ease at which the knife can be sharpened and provides an element of support and ductility to the harder core. These qualities, in concert with nice convex grinds which aid in food separation and a high level of fit and finish, make the Tojiro DP series regarded as one of the best values available in the knife world today. This gyuto in 210mm format is a heavier middleweight knife by Japanese standards though substantially lighter than many Western equivalents. The edge profile performs well through most cutting styles including rocking, push and pull cutting, and slicing. Being a touch longer than 210mm, this knife will be a wonderful transition for those used to working with 8"-9" Western chef knives and will be capable of handling all but the very largest ingredients. Brand: Tojiro Location: Sanjo City, Japan Construction: San Mai, Stamped Edge Steel: VG-10 Stainless Steel Cladding: Stainless Steel Handle: Western (Yo) Scales: Black Micarta Weight: 7.2 ounces Blade Length: 212 mm Overall Length: 340 mm Spine Thickness at Base: 1.9 mm Blade Height: 43.7 mm Photos by Jes Whiteford

We are the kitchen knife experts. Browse hundreds of your favorite Japanese chef's knives or find the perfect Wusthof knife set at Cutlery and More. We also offer a curated selection of premium cookware and knife sharpeners.
                2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Whatever salt bae uses

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                    Of the two, I prefer the Shun.
                    Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                    Another vote for Shun

So I went with a 7" Shun Santoku knife, and also a good honing steel. Sweet Jesus, this thing's sharp.

Comment

Very nice, what'd it run you?
                      Originally posted by stevo
                      Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                        So I went with a 7" Shun Santoku knife, and also a good honing steel. Sweet Jesus, this thing's sharp.
                        You develop a new respect for your kitchen knives after getting a nice sharp one lol. I let a buddy use mine to cut an avocado and it went through the pit and got his hand.
                        Last edited by GrayStangGT; 04-04-2018, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                          very nice, what'd it run you?
                          $100

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                            You develop a new respect for your kitchen knives after getting a nice sharp one lol. I let a buddy use mine to cut an avocado and it with through the pit and got his hand.
                            Seriously, I actually thought yesterday, "I'm going to have to unlearn some bad habits - this thing's too sharp for me to be a retard."

The complete lack of effort it took to dice tomatoes really blew my mind. Gravity did the work, I just guided it.

Comment

Global, shun, wusthof

Comment

Working...
                              X