Buying a car sight unseen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
    It's in New York, that's a 24 hr drive back. Don't really have that kind of time available right now. I'm taking vacation soon, so I could cut a few days from that but I'd rather not. Also the car is a 15 yo project. It might not make it
    Ive got some contacts up there, what part?
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
      I thought I was the only one that did that...invest in numerous replacement parts and then sell low, lol.

Never bought a car sight unseen, but sold two that way years ago on eBay...a '67 Galaxie and a '67 F100. Someone in New York state bought the F100 and sent a car hauler with cash to pick it up. I received a letter from the New York State Police a month or so later that "my" vehicle had been found broken down and abandoned on the New York State Thruway, and did I want to come pick it up from impound. Never heard any more about it. Someone in Ohio bought the Galaxie and I hope gave it a good home. Again they sent a car hauler with cash. The only thing I heard later about that car came from the Ohio DMV or their equivalent sending a letter wanting to know what the buyer paid for the car so they could charge him tax. Never responded and never heard any more about that one either.
      You can arrange for the shipper to pay for the car at pick up? How does that work?
      1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

You can arrange for the shipper to pay for the car at pick up? How does that work?
        The buyer authorized the shipper to pay the previously agreed upon price on his behalf, once the shipper determined that the vehicle was as described by the seller (me).

Comment

Oh really? I wonder if this is common. Like does any shipper on uship do that or is that a special arrangement?

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
            Ive got some contacts up there, what part?
            Westchester

Comment

Oh really? I wonder if this is common. Like does any shipper on uship do that or is that a special arrangement?
              The buyer for the F100 knew the transport driver, and he showed up with a full-size auto transport trailer behind a semi rig. The second buyer used what appeared to be a for-hire service. Of course this was about fifteen years ago or more so things may be completely different now, and eBay obviously predated Craigslist.

Comment

Westchester
                the bestchester

Comment

Westchester
                  Just so you know New Yorkers don't look at rust the same way someone from Texas will. They'll drive a car with the 1/4 panels rusted completely off and are used to replacing brake lines and exhaust every few years.

If you do decide to fly and drive I'd try really hard to get them to meet you in Philadelphia. Flights are cheaper and you won't have to deal with the tolls. Baltimore would be even better but further for them.

Comment

Working...
                  X