Need help from my brethren deal finders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help from my brethren deal finders

When I was 17years old my dad sold his 1968 canary yellow mustang to put a down payment on a house for us, it was his pride and joy much like our cars have became to us. It was a in line 6cyl automatic but he loved that thing. Since then I moved out got married and made a little family but I still don't forget going to that little car lot that we sold it to and seeing his heart break as we drove away leaving it behind. But he bought a house for us to live in, instead of jumping from apartment to apartment.

Well enough of that, it's almost Father's Day and I would like to buy him a "classic" as he calls them. I would like for it to be a v8 transmission don't matter if all possible red. I know he would love to have a 65 but he will settle for anything from 64.5 to 68. I could even do another in line 6.

So if you have a lead or have one or know anyone selling one. As far as price id like to pay for the car not the memories that the car made.
    I could even do work or install new sprinkler system for one.

So if anyone has a lead please let me know.

Originally posted by junior View Post
    When I was 17years old my dad sold his 1968 canary yellow mustang to put a down payment on a house for us, it was his pride and joy much like our cars have became to us. It was a in line 6cyl automatic but he loved that thing. Since then I moved out got married and made a little family but I still don't forget going to that little car lot that we sold it to and seeing his heart break as we drove away leaving it behind. But he bought a house for us to live in, instead of jumping from apartment to apartment.

Well enough of that, it's almost Father's Day and I would like to buy him a "classic" as he calls them. I would like for it to be a v8 transmission don't matter if all possible red. I know he would love to have a 65 but he will settle for anything from 64.5 to 68. I could even do another in line 6.

So if you have a lead or have one or know anyone selling one. As far as price id like to pay for the car not the memories that the car made.

Wow. You're dad is rich beyond measure in having a son like you.

Comment

I like what you are trying to do. I always wanted to find my dad his first car, a 48 Ford.

If my 65 wasn't in pieces and buried I would make you a deal on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastback View Post
        Wow. You're dad is rich beyond measure in having a son like you.
        Thanks!!!

Originally posted by homealone View Post
        I like what you are trying to do. I always wanted to find my dad his first car, a 48 Ford.

If my 65 wasn't in pieces and buried I would make you a deal on it.
        I can help you dig it out!!

Comment

Shit, if I don't get a new car, I told Lyn I want a classic again. Anyone finds one you don't want, I may call dibs!

Comment

Good on you dude!

Comment

how much do you want to spend

Comment

That is very cool of you man.

I am EXTREMELY in touch with what the market is for classic Mustangs (your dad calls them "Classics" because that's what they're called).

Lots floating around on Craigslist and I'd be happy to give you an evaluation of condition and price based on any ad you're interested in.

Ballpark things to consider:
                - A decent running V8 coupe is anywhere from 8,500-12,000 depending on condition and options. Asking price for really nice coupes is high teens, but I don't know what they actually go for. I personally wouldn't spend that much on a coupe, but that may just be me.
                - 6 cyl cars are generally more affordable, and there curiously seems to be lots of very clean examples that are asking 12-15k which seems crazy to me. I'd be more interested in a decent driver that could use some tinkering for less than 7k if I were going that route.
                - Verts and fastbacks are about double the price and go up from there.
                - It's possible to buy something that needs work for cheaper, but you have to be careful, and almost without fail, you'll end up putting more money into it than it would cost if you just bought a nicer one.

Edit: As Scoot said, it would be helpful if you had a budget to narrow the search.

Comment

Depending on how much work you're willing to do, I know (through another forum) the guy selling this car. He just accidentally dropped a bearing from the carb down the intake, and wants it gone. If you have access to a trailer, I think the price could go down on this car and this thing is a junkyard Explorer 5.0 swap and a few hundred bucks worth of interior parts/upholstery away from being pretty cool. I don't love the color myself, but that's in the eye of the beer holder.

Put another way, if I had the room and the cash, I'd consider buying it just for the fun of getting it back on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post

What's up buddy? I have no help to offer, just wanted to say you are awesome. Growing up, my Dad always used to joke that he always wanted a Corvette but had 4 kids instead. My brother took it to heart, and for his 65th birthday, bought him a Corvette. The gesture nearly killed him. You're a good man, Junior!
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                      Depending on how much work you're willing to do, I know (through another forum) the guy selling this car. He just accidentally dropped a bearing from the carb down the intake, and wants it gone. If you have access to a trailer, I think the price could go down on this car and this thing is a junkyard Explorer 5.0 swap and a few hundred bucks worth of interior parts/upholstery away from being pretty cool. I don't love the color myself, but that's in the eye of the beer holder.

Put another way, if I had the room and the cash, I'd consider buying it just for the fun of getting it back on the road.
                      junior, buy that one and Ill make you a deal on the longblock I have on the stand.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Eek....my budget is about 5k so I will sacrifice it being a v8, we can do some work not scared of that, my main fear is rust. I can do engine swap and Trans later, I'd like for it to look pretty good ie: not much body work but I can entertain ideas, I have till June to get it to run and drive and can be a project for my pops and I to get it looking sharp while spend time together.

I know it's kind of a low budget but hopefully I get lucky with a find.

Comment

When asking about replacing the engine before sale to get more money for it, he just said this:

To be perfectly honest, I'm trying to figure out how I can do as little as possible. I spend way too much time dealing with things I shouldn't be dealing with when I should be working, eating, sleeping, or taking care of my kids. Even now, I'm supposed to be working, but I'm writing this because I really want to unload this car from my possession because I'm feeling overwhelmed. I'm in the same boat with my wife's old 97 chevy blazer. Got it listed for $1000, so far it's looking like we are going to donate it to NPR and have them pick it up. My wife and I both work. What a lot of people don't realize when everyone in a household is working is that, when you get home, someone still has to take care of the kids, cook, clean, do the laundry, maintain the house, maintain the cars, lol.

Man, if I had the money and a trailer, I'd be buying the thing.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                            When asking about replacing the engine before sale to get more money for it, he just said this:

To be perfectly honest, I'm trying to figure out how I can do as little as possible. I spend way too much time dealing with things I shouldn't be dealing with when I should be working, eating, sleeping, or taking care of my kids. Even now, I'm supposed to be working, but I'm writing this because I really want to unload this car from my possession because I'm feeling overwhelmed. I'm in the same boat with my wife's old 97 chevy blazer. Got it listed for $1000, so far it's looking like we are going to donate it to NPR and have them pick it up. My wife and I both work. What a lot of people don't realize when everyone in a household is working is that, when you get home, someone still has to take care of the kids, cook, clean, do the laundry, maintain the house, maintain the cars, lol.

Man, if I had the money and a trailer, I'd be buying the thing.
                            Wonder if he would take less cash in hand maybe 5k???

Comment

Working...
                            X