Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northwest OHV park deserves it's own thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
    And they're absolutely impossible to find right now, so buy online and have the receipt e-mailed to you.
    I got mine at the gate, you save $5, but I'd call them to make sure they have the stickers in hand. There are a few local shops that sell them also, their website has a link I think.

Their website refers to the OHV site, here is that one... You still can get them at thew gate in the park tho

Shit, it's $16 on line! Buy it there and get it mailed, the recipet is proof you need to get in.

2018/2019 OHV (Off Highway Vehicle Permits)
    TX Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) decal is valid from Sept. 1 thru Aug. 31. Delivery of the decal can take up to 15 days. The receipt from the sale of the decal should be retained with the vehicle(s) until the decal(s) is received and mounted on the vehicle.

Comment

Well, I aint got a winch yet, so the next best option, a Hi Lift jack. Can be used as a winch pretty easily! Got the jack and accessory kit from Amazon, not bad for a tad over $115
      So now if we get stuck, I can pull us out!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        Why cant you just take the 150?
        its a lowered FX2 supercrew. i mean it does have a rear locker i guess! haha

god bless.
        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
          its a lowered FX2 supercrew. i mean it does have a rear locker i guess! haha

god bless.
          You sure, our 16 XLT has one, pull the knob!!! Lowered is better for mud too, won't splash as much

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
            Well, I aint got a winch yet, so the next best option, a Hi Lift jack. Can be used as a winch pretty easily! Got the jack and accessory kit from Amazon, not bad for a tad over $115

So now if we get stuck, I can pull us out!

Very handy but be careful.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
              No. You need a sticker for any vehicle on Texas OHV land.

Edit: so to drive my f150 at a public ohv park like bridgeport... I still need to cough up $20.
              I didn't see the edit part. So you buy the OHV sticker, that gets you into any OHV park. Then the park has a fee of $25 that is charged each visit. Sticker is good from Sept 1 to Aug 31 each year. Each OHV park has some charge, they need to pay the people that work there, keep the park running, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                Very handy but be careful.

Yep. Be very careful. Practice with the Hi-Lift and know exactly how to use it when it counts. Even when you know how to use it, don't let your guard down. Always assume it wants to kill you.

I've been in a situation where the Hi-Lift was the only thing that would get me out of it (spit out a front coil spring on a trail). I had the spring back in and was moving again in less than 15 minutes. Without it, I would have been stranded for a while.

I've also had it fail and my truck came crashing down next to me onto the rotor. Would have killed me if I'd have been under it, but I know better. I learned my lesson that day that the load rating is significantly decreased when you get towards the top of the bar.

Comment

I am actually taking a class on recovery May 4.5 in the OHV park. Doubt I'll need to use one before then, I still am going into areas I feel I could make it back out. Sunday there are a couple others going, so if I do get stuck, I can at least hook up the tow strap and get pulled out if needed.
                  But yeah, agree it needs respect! Watched some YouTube vid's of good and bad experiences.

And DAMN Jared, that definitely coulda done a number on you.

Comment

Dang. Never seen a bent one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                      Dang. Never seen a bent one.
                      They initially tried to blame it on user error. They told me that I must have had it at an angle or the load must have shifted. Neither of those was true. I blamed it on a defect, which they denied. After further research (reading the fine print in the manual), I learned about the load rating being dramatically less in the top 8 inches or so of the bar. So, shame on me for not realizing that sooner, and shame on them for not making that abundantly clear or putting an asterisk next to their load rating claims. It's still weird to me that they didn't suggest that as the problem right off the bat instead of trying to blame it on the other stuff. It's almost like they don't want people to know about that, as if it makes them less useful, but shit, that's reckless and dangerous to be anything less than extremely forthcoming about it.

But anyway, they sent me a new bar quickly for free with no shipping, and I still carry and use it. It's the only way I can get the front end suspension to droop enough to change springs or shocks.

I have limit straps now, so no more losing springs on the trail.

Comment

I just don’t use the damn things. I’ve got an ARB jack block that lets me use my regular scissor jack.

I’ve thought about getting an X-Jack airbag for lifting my Jeep in more unstable situations. $250 but possible safer than any other option out there.

Comment

Oh, so I also managed to screw up my soft top last weekend. I didn’t realize there was a release lever at the back of the top. So, while pulling it down, I ended up bending one of the support bars. I didn’t even put much effort into it. It folded pretty good.

So I used my finest redneck engineering skills for a quick repair with PVC and Gorilla Tape. I’ve got a new part on order, but who knows how long that may take.

Comment

Yike's Sarg! At least the weather was nice today, no top needed!

Went out the the park with a couple guys from Soft Roaders FB group. Had a blast!

Few pics and vid's uploaded.
                            Pics: http://tinypic.com/a/fkz4t5/3

Vids: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxV..._as=subscriber

Comment

Fortunately it was just a $150 part (the entire hinge assembly, not just the rod) and 30 minutes of my time. All good again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                                Fortunately it was just a $150 part (the entire hinge assembly, not just the rod) and 30 minutes of my time. All good again.
                                That aint too bad.

I wanna head out the the OHV park again, but it will be a few weeks out probably, definitely not this weekend. Need to plan on something and get a few of us out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X