Tax Cut and Retirement Savings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stng5Pnt8 View Post
    Shoot me a pm with your contact info and we can give you a call and give you a couple suggestions or recommendations. No obligation to make any investment or anything like that with our company. We're a little limited on what advise we give out on a public forum.

Tdominguez@allstate.com
    Text 214.244.1043

-Tony
    Lmao
    Originally posted by davbrucas
    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
      Because the Trump tax cuts expire in 10 years.

Edit: And your belief about tax rates dropping depends on a whole lot of factors with income level being a big driver.
      Keep in mind congress at any time can extend those tax cuts that are set to expire in 10 years. Theres nothing that says "these will end and you will have to come up with something new"

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
        Lmao
        What's so funny?
        Allstate Insurance
        Dominguez Agency
        1101 E. Bardin Rd. suite 141
        Arlington, TX. 76018
        817-405-2011
        tdominguez@allstate.com
        Give us a call so we can take a look at your insurance needs, we may be able to save you $$!!

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
          Max both. It's only 23.5kper year.
          Yeah I didn't realize the Roth was that low.

Good call.

Comment

Originally posted by Stng5Pnt8 View Post
            What's so funny?
            Sorry, I was still drunk.
            Originally posted by davbrucas
            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
              Sorry, I was still drunk.
              lol...it happens haha.

my broker dealer is super strict though haha
              Allstate Insurance
              Dominguez Agency
              1101 E. Bardin Rd. suite 141
              Arlington, TX. 76018
              817-405-2011
              tdominguez@allstate.com
              Give us a call so we can take a look at your insurance needs, we may be able to save you $$!!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Crawfish View Post
                I’d be careful taking financial advice around here! If a van down by the river sounds like your cup of tea then go ahead!
                One should also be careful taking "expert" sports wagering advice around here!

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                  One should also be careful taking "expert" sports wagering advice around here!
                  True just remember never bet more than you can afford to lose!!!

Comment

Max both. It's only 23.5kper year.
                    $24k($18,500/$5,500) this year and yes, I agree with maxing out both.
                    Anything above this amount, look into a brokerage account.
                    I personally prefer Vanguard due to the ease and low fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                      Yeah I didn't realize the Roth was that low.

Good call.
                      Yay it's low but after 5 years you can start use by it without penalties. Married max out the wives too. I'm lucky I was Roth clueless, but we have some really smart financial guys at work. Had a coworker get me to start doing it a few years back.

Comment

You can also contribute about $6,750 or so into a health savings account if you have a high deductible health plan. It is no different than a 401k really, it follows you if you leave your employer. The funds are only supposed to be used for medical expenses but there is very little oversight. Most of them let you invest the balance in mutual funds after you hit a certain dollar amount.
                        Originally posted by racrguy
                        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                          You can also contribute about $6,750 or so into a health savings account if you have a high deductible health plan. It is no different than a 401k really, it follows you if you leave your employer. The funds are only supposed to be used for medical expenses but there is very little oversight. Most of them let you invest the balance in mutual funds after you hit a certain dollar amount.
                          The dollar amount is your deductible. You need enough in the HSA to fully fund a medical emergency up to the deductible amount.
                          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                            The dollar amount is your deductible. You need enough in the HSA to fully fund a medical emergency up to the deductible amount.
                            My company lets us stuff the IRS maximum in there. I just looked it up and it is $6,900 this year. No idea what my deductible is.
                            Last edited by Broncojohnny; 03-03-2018, 08:17 PM.
                            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                              Thanks for the reminder. I think my HSA is nearly there but I'll double check.

Comment

Yay it's low but after 5 years you can start use by it without penalties.
                                Not quite that simple...

If you’re under age 59½ and your Roth IRA has been open five years or more, your earnings will not be subject to taxes if you meet one of the following conditions:

You use the withdrawal (up to a $10,000 lifetime maximum) to pay for a first-time home purchase.
                                You use the withdrawal to pay for qualified education expenses.
                                You're at least age 59½.
                                You become disabled or pass away.
                                You use the withdrawal to pay for unreimbursed medical expenses or health insurance if you’re unemployed.

I personally don't see a huge benefit(besides being tax free vs long term capital gains taxes(15%-20%)) in contributing to ROTH accounts due to the limitation of annual contributions. It's rather hard for compounding interest to work in your favor based on such small principal($5,500 yearly) but yes, it is rather nice avoiding the tax man anyway you can.

Comment

Working...
                                X