Mini rant - Freakin cars.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini rant - Freakin cars.....

I had my Cobra up for sale because with the CL coming back and the new (to me) Acura that it really wont get used much. I start it up Friday and its battery is dead. Whatever, it happens. I go to take it back to work Monday and it sounds like the battery is weak as it starts but something isnt right....cant put my finger on it. Get a few hundred feet down the road and the engine all the sudden sounds like marbles in a dryer. So I shut it down and tow it in. I am figuring ring lands on 2&3 cause thats the missfire and its noise on the top end passenger side. I do some calculations and come to the conclusion it will be better (less loss) to sell it as a roller than to replace the motor.
    Guy I sold it to has already opened her up. Passenger bank secondary chain broke as well as the cam gear and that broke the cam which sent valves into the pistons and scard the walls.
    Damn, really liked that car and she was a beauty plus its engine never gave a hint of issues.

So I have the E55 sold and dude is coming next week from Ohio to get it. Hes a friend and I want to make sure the car is solid. Well turns out the reason its now pulling to the right is because the control arm bushings took a vacation. Super, we already agreed on a price and I wasnt about to jack it up on him but I went ahead and threw almost a grand of new parts at it and alignment. Next morning cars battery then takes a dump..... BOTH of them. Hate this car. So there goes another $300.
    After I do this we get slammed so I cant work on its no heater issue. I know what it is (well thought I did) and had the part so I drop it off at Benz knowing its only 1.4 hour book time to fix. Well car had different plans. Turns out there are 13 mode doors in the dash and 5 actuators failed so dash had to come out and that will be $2600.......*cries* They call me a couple days latter to say only one door had failed and that the valve was weak so since I gave them the part they installed it so its only $600. Kinda think it was just the valve but I pulled the center stack and could see a new actuator on on of the many many blend doors.
    Since the car has broken nearly every time it goes out I decide to not drive it AT ALL.
    But this last Wed night I am asked by a dozen friends to bring it out to the car meet for pictures. I am hesitant to do this but my buddy (whos buying the car) says to bring it. Fine. As I leave the meet it gives me a warning "Convenience features disabled due to charge" and then the climate control, the stereo, non-essential gauges, ambient lighting and whatever else is not needed shuts down. 10 seconds latter gauges turn red and the screen says "Charging failure, brake system failure in 5 minutes" Dafuq? So I am by my shop and I hook the scanner up and see (new record for me) 122 error codes. I see there is no charge and think fine, $140 alt. Whatever.
    So I leave it there and figure I will work on it the next morning. Get it in the air and realize the alt change is a fugging cee u next thursday. I also notice I can spin the belt by hand.....Dafuq? Crankshaft pulley is spinning freely. Turns out dipchit that had the car prior reused the damn TTY bolt and it backed out enough for the crank pulley to slid forward and destroy the keyway. So I am staring at this car just MF'ing it and out of freakin nowhere the heat exchanger for the intercooler just starts pissing on me. I turn on the pump and sure enough the heat-exchanger spit out of a couple of its fins. Hadnt leaked a drop ever and it decided "screw it, since you are in this area working on crap....." Shops too busy and with surgery next week I just dont have the time so I sent it over to Mercedes so they can install a pin/dowel kit in the pulley and change the crappy Eurocharged cooler for a stock AMG one. Since last weeks bill for it was only $600 for the heater to work where they first quoted $2600 I was fine with letting them do it.

Well tonight I figure I will take the nice reliable Acura out for dinner. Car has other plans. Battery is dead. Fine whats a third battery in a week, right? Jump it and get a low tire warning. See that 3 tires are really low and then notice its because they are 7 years old and dry rotted on the treads which also feel hard as a rock. So guess that will be tomorrows fun. Needed to do an oil change anyway. Guy said it was just done, computer says 98% but the black oil tells other stories.

On the bright side the CL is done and will be here tomorrow morning. It is being sent on a safe tune and then they will fly down in a couple weeks and throw it on a dyno that bolts to the hubs because as soon as it hits 800rwhp it sends the tires up in a haze due to the 1000+ rwtq. So tuner just wants to verify the 2-3 and 3-4 WOT shift cause he cant do it on the road. Car will be at 120 and at half throttle it just hazes the tires he said.

So all kinds of car fun!
    Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

It's the theory of "what can go wrong, will". It seems to be the trend in most, car guys, lives!

Comment

Could've sworn I read "mini" somewhere.
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Oh yeah, you have car dealer problems. Never fucking fails that the second the buyer is in the driveway, the car falls apart.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
          Could've sworn I read "mini" somewhere.
          LOL, my bad. Should have said moderate.
          Originally posted by JC316 View Post
          Oh yeah, you have car dealer problems. Never fucking fails that the second the buyer is in the driveway, the car falls apart.
          That E55 was a freakin nightmare car from day one. I only made the trade for the Vette because I had a buddy that wanted a silver really nice one bad and this one appeared to be that car. Well one transmission, radiator, intercooler, blend door, complete rewire of all added electronics, new tires, alignment, O2s, battery, hoses, belts, pulley dowel repair, control arms latter and hope nothing else breaks and it will be that good car.

Really though I knew nothing about them and didnt know that they are maintenance nightmares. Plus the guy was a douche and some of the stuff he did..... the wires, reusing TTY bolts, removing a crank pulley he was specifically told NOT to remove, using JB weld to repair the radiator which is how the trans fluid cross contaminated and took out the trans..... he knew the car had issues and I fucked up and didnt inspect the car hard enough.
          Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Wow! So many things make my brain hurt on the E55 story. The blend air stepper motors never go out on W211s. EVER. The W203 cars used to have bad linkages but that's about it. I'm sure the heater valve was all it was and 70% of the time they give a fault code. I haven't heard many good things about the Waco dealer. AMG control are bushings don't just go out. They crack slowly for years before they give out bad enough to make it pull. Torque strut bushings can go out instantly though if they are the updated hydraulic style. They usually thump when braking or over bumps and it's very hard to miss. Did the dealer do the work? Bushings don't cost more than $100 a piece last I checked. Could have bought the special tool and did all the Bushings for that price. Your Alternator wasn't spinning and caused all the fault codes of undervoltage. 122 codes is nothing to be alarmed about. I have no idea how the crank pulley walked that far and didn't throw the belt. It wasn't the TTY bolt, it simply wasn't tightened. You can reuse that bolt, there is a measurement spec on those older engines. JB weld on the radiator didn't have anything to do with the coolant and trans cross contaminating. Those early 211s were prone to that. Very common problem. I find it hilarious you call it a maintenance nightmare and you think your CL will be any better. It has twice the electronics the E has and it's designed by the same people. Good luck.
            Originally posted by Marisa
            we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

Damn, that sucks.
              That cold snap killed some batteries.

Comment

That was hard to read. Cliff notes: Sorry I always post shit bragging about what I have. Just to show you guys it's not all roses, see how things fucked up on all my shit.

Comment

^Jesus had to eat with the common folks too.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                    That was hard to read. Cliff notes: Sorry I always post shit bragging about what I have. Just to show you guys it's not all roses, see how things fucked up on all my shit.
                    Yeah, god forbid we talk about cars on a car forum right?

Merry Christmas!

Comment

Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
                      Yeah, god forbid we talk about cars on a car forum right?

Merry Christmas!
                      There is the garage where people discuss working on their cars and troubleshooting. Merry Christmas to you as well.

Comment

There is a reason why a Benz that is out of warranty is so cheap.
                        Originally posted by racrguy
                        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                        Originally posted by racrguy
                        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                          There is a reason why a Benz that is out of warranty is so cheap.
                          "The only thing more expensive than a NEW European car is an OLD European car."
                          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Damn what a nightmare. But you gotta take the bad with the good. Good read though. Whatever happened to the Audi you had/have?

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                              I read it differently

Cliff$:
                              I blew the motor on my Cobra
                              I blew a stack of cash on a Mercedes because I was lazy and didn't feel like looking at it
                              My car get back on the transport with the personal tuner
                              Choo-choo motherfuckers! I'm riiiich!
                              (He also says all this driving a truck full of newports)

Comment

Working...
                              X