Making your own wiring harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What year RX-7 are you working on?
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
      You still have the pop up head lights?
      Yeah but with led headlights

Last edited by abecx; 11-08-2017, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatass View Post
        I do the shit for a living and have to agree, it can be a motherfucker. But if your still up for it, I'd start by buying a good label maker and start making a wire list of what runs where, make drawings of the connectors and ID each wire on each connector diagram. Then start deleting the specific wires/connectors. Then I'd start extending what's left and solder every connection. Fuck crimping connections unless it's at a power source or ground location.
        I too do this for a living and agree this is probably the best info in the thread. Take your time, take notes, and pictures. It's not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatass View Post
          You'll be fine, you are correct about the time consuming part but it sounds like you've thought it out well enough that you more than likely won't have any trouble shooting to do. Document everything and take pictures for future use is about the only other thing I'd recommend in case you want to make a change later.
          This. I went overboard writing things down. Made spreadsheets, power points and large drawings of my own on large poster board. Label everything with label maker. Catalog it all on your spreadsheet with what color wire has what function and in what connector. Pictures saved my ass many times.
          Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
            So far I've bought a label maker, relays, relay/fuse box, a shit load of varying cable ( 8-18 gauge ), some bridges, heat shrink, a ton of connectors, a butane solder, a nice side of crimpers and wire strippers. I'm going to be reusing some of the cable thats already there ( rear lights mainly ), and will be running new stuff up front reusing the factory connections for the headlights. The Computer is all using its own separate shit so there isnt anything I have to do there.

My minds already made up, I'm going to tackle this. I really dont think it'll be that bad just time consuming. I've already wrote out a diagram for where the wires are going to be routed.

This. In spades. Anything exposed to the elements use mastic lined heat shrink to eliminate any corrosion. You are in for an asswhoopin', but if you TAKE YOUR TIME and think everything thru before you start, it makes life a lot easier. Make sure you leave yourself some slack in any of the routing where things get tight. Last note, on some Jap stuff, the grounds are A) in series & B) not indicated by a black wire.

Comment

Working...
            X