Which Brand AR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Brand AR?

So been shopping for a complete rifle, don't really wanna DIY it. Kinda narrowed it down to 3 choices and wondered what opinions / experience you folks have had.

Option 1 would be a used Olympic Arms, flip up rear sight, flat top upper, single mag. $699 ish.

Option 2 would be a new Del-Ton, http://www.del-ton.com/DTI_16_Carbin...th16-moeod.htm comes with 2 mags, hard case, sling, cleaning kit, about $850 after pick up.

Option 3 would be a new Spikes Tactical, http://www.spikestactical.com/z/inde...roducts_id=387 about $830 after pick up.

I like the way the MOE style rifles feel so the DT rifle is my initial leaning since its already assembled with the furniture and I won't have to mess with it but a little concerned since I don't know anyone personally who owns one.

Not seen too much negative on Spikes but I would have to send more money to get the furniture I like.
    Jon

Spikes or Delton

Cheaper Delton:

On the Spikes use the coupon code Arfcom at checkout.

Comment

Gun showing coming up at Dallas Market hall. There will be plenty for you to check out there if you want.
      WRX

Comment

My upper is a Del-ton...no complaints

Out of those three, I would stay away from Olympic Arms. They have been known in the past to be of poor quality.
        كافر

Originally posted by sc281
        Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
        Originally posted by Trick Pony
        ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

I'm going DIY on this next build, but only because I want what's not available off the shelf. Don't worry, that affliction will come.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Check out classicarms.us you can get a pretty good deal from them.

Comment

I can only speak from experience. I've owned and used Colt and Bushmaster in the past with no complaints on several hundred, if not thousand rounds through each. I've just purchased a DPMS, but have had no shoot time with it... yet.

Comment

Originally posted by JSTA2V View Post
                My upper is a Del-ton...no complaints

Out of those three, I would stay away from Olympic Arms. They have been known in the past to be of poor quality.
                My wife's AR is a del-ton upper on an Olympic lower. Never had any trouble out of it. Finish is crap but it shoots great.
                You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                  I can only speak from experience. I've owned and used Colt and Bushmaster in the past with no complaints on several hundred, if not thousand rounds through each. I've just purchased a DPMS, but have had no shoot time with it... yet.
                  Bushmaster was my first Ar in 05. It never let me down. They were going for $699 a while back.
                  You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselSmoke View Post
                    My wife's AR is a del-ton upper on an Olympic lower. Never had any trouble out of it. Finish is crap but it shoots great.
                    I think the majority of the issues I've heard of were related to the upper in some way, but not 100% sure. I don't have in first hand experience with it so everything I say about them is hearsay.
                    كافر

Originally posted by sc281
                    Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
                    Originally posted by Trick Pony
                    ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

I don't see how you can screw up an AR honestly. They are so easy to build anyone that screws it up must actually be retarded.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by DieselSmoke View Post
                        "My wife's AR..." I love that!!! I should marry such a woman! My wife cannot understand my interest in more than just a few guns. I cannot imagine a woman with her own AR....
                        2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Inaugural Edition
                        2011 Harley Davidson F150
                        2003 Harley Davidson Road King 100th Anniversary Edition

Comment

I like my spikes due to the price but the finish blows compared to other companys.

Id like to build one of del-tons cheap 16inch m4's.

Comment

The AR is a gun I have not gotten to yet in collecting.

Can one make an AR be so configurable as to be a sniper rifle and also good for close combat with changing a small number of parts? Is the primary appeal the military look or the high magazine capacity? I mean a Browning semi-auto hunting rifle will shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger and can be very accurate and is much prettier and can be in a much more formidible caliber.... So I am trying to understand the fundamental difference that makes them so popular. I remember I used to read the writings of the late Col Jeff Cooper who called the M16 and all its variants the "poodle shooter". LOL Apparently he did not think much of the 223 caliber....
                            2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Inaugural Edition
                            2011 Harley Davidson F150
                            2003 Harley Davidson Road King 100th Anniversary Edition

Comment

Originally posted by TexasVert View Post
                              "My wife's AR..." I love that!!! I should marry such a woman! My wife cannot understand my interest in more than just a few guns. I cannot imagine a woman with her own AR....
                              She also has a XD9, Bersa 380, Browning Silver semi auto 12g, Derringer 22 and a Mossberg Maverick 88 when daddy's not home, lol.

edit: besides the AR, all the others she bought herself.

Comment

Working...
                              X