I'm oddly fascinated with this car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm oddly fascinated with this car.

I'm stoked that they're bringing jobs to Americans. I'm doubly stoked that it will rely heavily on American suppliers. It helps that they bought the GM plant in Shreveport.

http://www.eliomotors.com/ for pics and info.

An article for reading pleasure.
    The trust responsible for selling and cleaning up former General Motors properties has reached an agreement to sell the shuttered GM plant near Shreveport, La., to a start-up carmaker that plans to hire 1,500 new workers.

An ultra-small carmaker called Elio Motors signed a deal to buy the former GM Shreveport Assembly and Stamping plant in Caddo Parish from the Revitalizing Auto Communities Environmental Response (RACER) Trust.

The deal was heralded by Louisiana politicians as an economic victory for a community devastated by GM’s contraction. The state was expected to provide incentives for the project, but details were not immediately available.

RACER said Elio plans to use 1 million square feet of the 1.8 million-square-foot property to manufacture three-wheeled vehicles. Officials said production would start in mid-2014.

A Shreveport TV station quoted a local politician saying the plant would not be unionized.

On its website, Elio doesn’t list information about its investors but describes its $6,800 vehicles as “the next big thing in transportation.” The company sought to raise $10 million in a fall 2011 offering, but only raised $150,000 initially, according to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing.

The company’s cars, which will have two wheels in the front, will get an average of more than 60 miles per gallon and will come with three airbags, according to the company.

“There were three driving factors in the purchase of the plant: The business-friendly economic environment; the quality of the local experienced workforce; and our unwavering commitment to build Elio vehicles in America, with American workers,” Elio CEO Paul Elio said in a statement. “We can’t wait to begin our journey in Louisiana.”

GM, which most recently made the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon at the plant, stopped making vehicles there in August. The company gave up the property in 2009 as part of its Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization and then leased it back from the trust until it stopped production last year.

RACER declined to reveal details about the transaction but said it has now sold 25 former GM properties for $27 million.

The trust, which was assigned responsibility for 89 former GM properties in 14 states, is still trying to sell several high-profile sites like the Willow Run powertrain plant in Ypsilanti Township and the Buick City properties in Flint.

Comment

its like a CanAm Spyder with a cab

Comment

Damn thing looks like a 3 leg frog.

Comment

It's like a modern day Morgan cyclecar.

Comment

Interesting concept, butt-ugly car.

Comment

ugly as shit.

Comment

gay

Comment

3 cylinders of 70 hp fury! Top speed of 107mph.

Comment

elio+F350=ouch

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      gay
                      ^^
                      Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
                      3 cylinders of 70 hp fury! Top speed of 107mph.

Comment

I wouldn't drive that around here, I'd hate to have a coal trucks MACK emblem on my face.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
                          elio+F350=ouch
                          The tub is a roll cage. Sure, the occupant will bang around in the cab, but they're supposedly going to get a 5 star safety rating. 3 airbags will deploy to try and keep the occupants from banging inside the car too hard.

Comment

OccupantS??? Can that thing seat more than 1?

Comment

I want to see Jeremy Clarkson flip one a few times.

Comment

Working...
                              X