Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL GTG Tuesday March 1st

Updated an copy/pasted my facebook post:

I am going to be giving a MySQL class next month at my place ( or somewhere else if too many sign ups ). So far I have 4 people wanting to come and I would like to extend it to my Facebook friends. I plan on starting with the basics and getting as far as we can into the more difficult topics. My forte is performance and troubleshooting, however I have knowledge in many data and performance related subjects and we can deviate as needed. There is no prerequisite required for you to show up, ignorance is appreciated and questions are welcomed. There is no charge for this as teaching helps me better articulate myself and deepens my understanding of the subject material.

If there is something you would like covered, please ask and I will add it to the list. If we have more than 8 people sign up, I will get us a conference room or something probably at central market as that is the only place I know of that can do that.

As far as to my own experience, I have been doing Linux since 1999, and self-taught myself MySQL around 2001 for making a guestbook. From there I started fixing other peoples problems instead of creating my own, ranging from performance to query structure. I have roughly 10 years of professional experience with various database platforms such as hadoop, redis, mongodb, solr, my/maria/percona/postgres, netezza, and the list goes on. As for my teaching experience, I provided consolidated classes at Hostgator to a few hundred employees and created teaching material for others to teach with. This endeavor helped me realize the importance and benefit of teaching. Since then I have taught others on one on one basis. My knowledge comes from 10 years of practical implementation and academic research through MySQL Internals and the MySQL High Performance books.

Tuesday March 1st at 7PM
    7700 Cody Ln, Sachse Tx 75048

Signed up:

TxRedneck
    Unicorn Jeff
    Craizie
    FunFordCobra Skype'd in
    Chili

Here is a preliminary listing of some topics I can cover, this is roughly 4 hours, we will cover as much as we can though. If people ask questions ( which I prefer ) we can cover the rest of it later.

Code:
    1. General Overview
    	- What is MySQL
    	- Who made it and why
    	- Basic principals
    	  . Relational understanding 
    	  . Indexing 
    	  . Reporting vs Analytical
    	  . Replication

2. Engine overview
    	- MyISAM / Aria 
    	- InnoDB / XtraDB
    	- Federated
    	- Temporary / in-memory
    	- Archiving/Compression and Data Partitioning
    	- Views

3. SQL Query Structure
    	- Basic query
    	- joins and group bys
    	- unions and merges

4. Performance
    	- Importance of finding root cause
    	- Locating and resolving bottlenecks
    	- Data Aggregation

5. Questions?
    	- DBA vs sysAdmin
    	- MariaDB
    	- Other platforms
    	  . Netezza
    	  . Hadoop
    	  . keyValue stores
    	  . docSearch
    Last edited by abecx; 02-10-2016, 10:54 AM.

Is this an altruistic offer or a group *buy?

Comment

You can pay me by asking questions on the topic matter as that is the true benefit of teaching.

If we have to pay for a conference room, I can cover that as long as its not over like $50, otherwise we can split it. I also dont want to put that much effort if only 2 people show up, I would prefer at least 3.

Comment

I must say Cruz, that's an extremely generous offer man. I'm 99.9% ignorant, but I'd like to attend for the opportunity to learn about it and meet you.

Comment

Go ahead and add me to the list. Just figure out the day, time and where. I'll make my arrangements around that. Hopefully we can get this going asap!

Comment

I would be interested, but I don't get off until 1900 M-F.

Comment

I have a guy at work that is also very interested in attending. Only downside is that he has church stuff on Wednesday nights.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                I must say Cruz, that's an extremely generous offer man. I'm 99.9% ignorant, but I'd like to attend for the opportunity to learn about it and meet you.
                For sure, would be fun.

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                I would be interested, but I don't get off until 1900 M-F.
                What part of town do you live in?

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
                  For sure, would be fun.

What part of town do you live in?
                  Bedford but I work in Coppell.

Comment

I'll be coming from FTW and hitting 161 from 183 so I could pick some of you niggas up if needed.

Comment

Tuesday at 7 or 730 would be ideal, maybe a couple of weeks out, like March 1st? The day of the week doesnt matter for me, I just thought it would nice to break up the work week with something fun early in it to make it go by faster.

Comment

I'm good with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                          I'm good with that.
                          x2

Comment

why couldn't you do this while I was in the dirty. setup a skype and ill be there
                            sigpic

Comment

I can probably do that, I have a pretty good webcam and mic.

Comment

Working...
                              X