Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gun storage question: Muzzle up or down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun storage question: Muzzle up or down?

Can't remember if I read it on a blog, message board, or saw it on YouTube; but it was suggested that storing guns in a gun safe/locker you should have them pointing muzzle down. I've always stored my guns muzzle up. And that's how I've always seen everyone else doing it. The reason this was suggested is that any kind of oils/lubricants would tend to go down because of... you know... gravity... and collect in the receiver which can cause problems (I assume). Thoughts? Have I been doing it wrong all this time? I've never had any problems but I was curious as to what everybody else thought.

I'd rather it leak down into the receiver, something I can easily clean, than to trip down on the carpet of my safe.

Comment

with an ar not cleaned the oil will collect in the buffer tube, gum up over time and cause it to start misfeeding
      heard aks never need cleaning and keep going

Comment

Shouldn't be a worry unless you are storing it soaking wet for an extended period of time. All of my rifles are stored muzzle up and I never leave them soaking wet with oil. Wet patch through the barrel followed by a dry patch to remove the excess.
        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

I don't really care how that shit sits in there. It's all jut stacked in there to allow the door to close.

Comment

Military stores their shit muzzle up, doesn't seem to matter. Get an AK and it won't matter how you store the PoS. It'll go bang every time.

Comment

After cleaning, my guns are never that "wet" to drip anything worth worrying about. Use light "Rem" oil (barrel) and small amounts of gun grease (innards) before I put in the safe. --- muzzle up here.
              Last edited by likeitfast55; 03-03-2017, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
                After cleaning my guns are never that "wet" to drip anything worth worrying about. Use light "Rem" oil (barrel) and small amounts of gun grease (innards) before I put in the safe. --- muzzle up here.
                Pretty much this...

While I personally don't use gun grease on an AR, as long as the barrel and BCG are relatively clean a light shot of Remoil with a quick wipe is just fine.

When you don't clean and\or over-lubricate them is when you might come into issues with storage.

Comment

Man, this is one of the downsides of the internet.. People come up with some lame idea that 'makes sense' in their head and put it out there as if it's some revelation. People (including the military) have been storing rifles muzzle up forever.. This is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Comment

Heavy end down so when everything falls out while I am trying to fish the rifle I want out of the back of the safe it doesnt hurt as much when I lands on me.
                    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                      Man, this is one of the downsides of the internet.. People come up with some lame idea that 'makes sense' in their head and put it out there as if it's some revelation.
                      motherfucking TRUTH.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Thanks everybody. I thought this was stupid and now I'll have to figure out where I heard this to see if the guy has been shamed/bashed or not yet. I thought it odd that I've been doing this like forever and had never seen it done differently for this to somehow make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                          Man, this is one of the downsides of the internet.. People come up with some lame idea that 'makes sense' in their head and put it out there as if it's some revelation. People (including the military) have been storing rifles muzzle up forever.. This is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
                          Right up there with engine break in methods, what effin motor oil to use, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                            Right up there with engine break in methods, what effin motor oil to use, etc.
                            Please tell me how to break in a new engine.

Comment

Yes, engine break in is some serious shit. You have to use the right effin motor oil or ur as good as fucked.

Comment

Working...
                              X