WRL Hallett Oct 18/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WRL Hallett Oct 18/19

Anyone going? We will be there with a few small changes to our car and hopefully have a good weekend of racing/camping.

The weather looks to be perfect and they have about 30 something cars signed up to run which is a great amount for that track. The entry list has some interesting hardware listed and I'm interested to see the quicker cars deal with the slower ones. (cough, cough, us....)

1985 Porsche 944
    1992 Mazda Miata
    1985 Bmw 325E
    1977 Triumph Tr7
    1992 Nissan 240Sx
    1986 Bmw 325
    1995 Bmw 325Is
    1991 Bmw 318Is
    1991 Ford Mustang
    1992 Nissan 240Sx
    1994 Ford Mustang
    1999 Mazda Miata
    1992 Acura Integra
    1991 VW Golf
    1997 Honda Accord
    1992 Mazda Miata
    1990 Mazda Miata
    1993 Mazda 626
    2003 Mazda Miata
    1990 Mazda Miata
    1987 Bmw 325
    1987 Porsche 924S
    1985 Toyota Celica
    1986 Nissan 200Sx
    1987 Chevy Corvette
    1997 Porsche Boxster
    1999 Porsche Boxster
    1991 Honda Civic Si
    1975 Opel Ascona
    1990 Mazda Spec Miata
    2013 Subaru Brz
    1997 Porsche Boxster
    1989 Ford Mustang

How the hell are Porsche Boxters allowed?
    www.hppmotorsports.com
    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by momo View Post
      How the hell are Porsche Boxters allowed?
      It's not a $500 car race. It's scca lite.

13 brz. and 7 miatas. 5 E30/e36 Bmw's. 3 Boxters.

It is cool that there is a 1975 Opel Ascona and a 1977 Triumph Tr7 listed.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

i completely missed the BRZ.

if that triumph TR7 is yellow, i know and hate that car! i had a back and forth battle with it for ~20 laps last year.
        www.hppmotorsports.com
        ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by momo View Post
          i completely missed the BRZ.

if that triumph TR7 is yellow, i know and hate that car! i had a back and forth battle with it for ~20 laps last year.
          LOL

I was told not to bother signing up, since my car isnt racey-looking enough for WRL. Ive since been told through others that he has recanted that, and explained that he didnt want images of his series to have a junky looking car racing with nicer looking cars in photos.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I need to read up on WRL, sounds pretty interesting.
            Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

I'm pretty sure you could run a CMC car as long as you put on a 180tw tire and could find three or four people to help. I have no idea how the classing in WRL will play out. I can't imagine a scenario where a car like ours for example is not in the slowest class. I saw a fox body at AMP about a year ago with chumpcar that had Maximum Motorsport PHB and TA and some kind of non-stock cam in the motor, but you never know what kind of lap penalty they had.

Comment

We had without a doubt one of the best weekends of racing at Hallett during this event. First of all Hallett is such a fun place to run these cars. This is our second time at Hallett and it is a very fun layout that has a little bit of everything. The new surface has made it even better and there is plenty of room to go off if you make a mistake. WRL ran it CCW on Saturday and then CW on Sunday. The track woks great in either direction which makes it something new for each day. WRL rules split the field into three groups. GP1 being the quickest and GP3 being the slowest. Our car weighed in at 2430lbs. and with a 90hp factory rating and minimal changes to our engine we were as expected classed in GP3 which ended up with six teams/cars. On the track the speed differentials were not that huge even with an FRS, C4, and the Boxsters. Everyone ran very clean and we only had one mark on the driver side door that was just a minor deal where a miata tracked out a little too far coming out of T1. The car could give anything out there all they could handle in the corners or braking zones, but just let them motor by on the straighter sections.

Our car and team was "on" this weekend. It handled, stopped, a ran better than it ever has and we had only two small mechanical issues the entire weekend. On Saturday we had the GP3 field covered by six laps when we put our last driver in for the day. He was just turning laps when we decided to have him come in and put a camera inside the car. While he was in we noticed three of the four zip ties holding the engine cooling fan to the radiator were broken. No big deal we popped the hood and replaced them and sent him back out. Less than 15 minutes later we get word that the car is running warm and doesn't cool off when he backs it down. So we bring him in and the cooling fan is stopped and it doesn't have power to it. Fuck. The car had been completely re-wired and I know the shit like the back of my hand at this point so it has to be something simple. Sure enough when we (I) zip tied the fan earlier I used too much juice on the ties and it had distorted the fan shroud just enough to drag the fan blades against the shroud which worked for a bit until the 40-amp fuse cleared along with melting the fuse holder. We kept the driver strapped in and had him back out pretty quick, but by then he was two laps down from the leader in fourth place. On kill mode he made it back to P2, but we would have needed another 10-15 minutes of racing to catch the first place team. We ran consistent 1:38-1:40 with a best time of 1:35.

Sunday we used the same driving order and the two teams in GP3 that had the field covered with lap time on Saturday started out strong, but one fell way off pace after about two hours. Most of the day was uneventful, but there was fairly serious wreck with two GP1 cars. An SN95 Mustang popped a front brake hose going into T1 and used the C4 for brakes instead. No one was hurt and both cars returned to the race after repairs were made. The other GP3 car was building a nice P1 cushion and had over three laps on us by the time I climbed in the car. Whoever they put in the car was off the pace by more than ten seconds a lap. By the time my two hours was up we had put three laps on them, but I got black flagged for the fucking exhaust pipe dragging the ground. The team was on the spot with a coat hangar fix while we did driver change and we only lost a lap or two dicking around with it. Soon after our driver was up to speed we did some quick math and figured out we were going to come up short unless something happened. P2 was on the same lap now and gaining ground. It was only a matter of time and our goal was too at least not go a lap down. And that is exactly how it played out. When the checked flag dropped we were in P2 (again) with the P1 car right behind us. The car ran about the same times with a best of 1:36.

Everything considered it was a great weekend. The weather was perfect for camping at the track, WRL and Hallett put on a great show, and we were thrilled to have been competitive both days. Now if we can just find something from Hawk Performance to spend our $200 on...

Notice the Opel's front tire. That car/team was great fun to follow and race with.

Last edited by jw33; 11-07-2014, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Axis power Volkswagen twin

The camera guy also took some slow motion video that I will have to upload later. It's kind of cool to watch the cars slide around in slow motion.
                  Last edited by jw33; 11-07-2014, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Awesome.
                    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                    86 SVO - Sold
                    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Sweet.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the great write up, and pics! Glad to hear you are getting that car dialed in, 1:35 is moving for that thing!
                        Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Working...
                        X