All-season or Summer Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All-season or Summer Tires

In short, my summer tires need to be replaced. I purchased these when I lived in Florida, but with the colder winters we get in the DFW area I'm not sure if I can still get away with summer tires.

My mustang isn't technically a DD, but I do try to drive it as much as possible.

Are y'all getting away with summer tires year round on a DD?

If not, what all-seasons do you use?

As long as you have access to another vehicle, I'd stick with summer tires. I had some mean Michelin summer tires on my stang, and it was terrifying trying to drive on the ice we had a few years back.

Comment

In the cold weather it's only driven short distances never on highways. I had the same tires in Denver and they were a blast to drive in the snow.

I'm mostly worried about degrading the tires.

If ambient temperatures drop to near- or below-freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks.

Comment

Some of the all season tires out perform race tires of 15 years ago so you are not giving up much.

My personal favorites are the Continental Extreme Contact DWS and the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I almost pulled the trigger on some all seasons like the ones you mentioned svo. However, I decided that if I ever drive in the snow I too should be allowed to plow into pedestrians.

I grabbed some Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. They had great reviews and didn't break the bank.

Comment

Fun cast? 200 TW or bust. DD get all seasons.

Comment

Working...
            X