Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How old is "too old" to decide to be a police officer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CRASH View Post
    Any current LEO care to give your opinions?

Too much past thirty make your retirement age sketchy.

Even any non-LEO, what's your take on deciding to be a police officer at say, the age of 36?
    Make sure you look at 20 and out departments, some are 25 and out, some are age and years.

Originally posted by The King View Post
    50 is getting to the "too old" point in my opinion, at least for a patrol officer.
    Yes and the cut off for civil service departments is 45 IIRC

Originally posted by FastFord19 View Post
    I know plenty of officers starting their LEO career in their mid 30's.
    I have seen a few. Usually more well rounded since their entire adult career was not LE. I started at thirty and wish I would have got in 5 years earlier maybe. I would be out!

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
    Steady pay, great perks, lots of days off, and retirement after 20ys. Not a bad gig
    If you make it to retirement it is decent. 25 years is way better money wise if that is still around. Lots of days off but lots of BS to go with it. I have seen lots of turn over in this job. maybe two other guys I started with out of 12 still in the field. Some have been prosecuted and most just fired or quit. Also, you still work all the hours just in a lump sum and not all spread out. I do like twelves though and I am back on them now. Nice being able to burn 16 hours and take your short week off.

You must have thick skin to do this job, especially nowadays.
    Last edited by kingjason; 07-24-2017, 02:29 PM.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I've got a close friend that interviewed with a bunch of cities (roughly 10). He got through the PT every time, made second rounds of interviews several times and never got hired. He was roughly 36 when he started trying and he finally went the jail route after not making it so many times over a 5 year span of trying.

He did say there were times when 400+ people showed up for 1-4 positions. The odds were slim at best and he was sitting in a room with experienced LEO looking for a different city, young Marines, etc. and he was a nearly 40 year old guy with a ton of experience in sales.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
        I've got a close friend that interviewed with a bunch of cities (roughly 10). He got through the PT every time, made second rounds of interviews several times and never got hired. He was roughly 36 when he started trying and he finally went the jail route after not making it so many times over a 5 year span of trying.

He did say there were times when 400+ people showed up for 1-4 positions. The odds were slim at best and he was sitting in a room with experienced LEO looking for a different city, young Marines, etc. and he was a nearly 40 year old guy with a ton of experience in sales.
        Not anymore. Plano used to pull 400 for one opening. Somewhere around a quarter of that now. Lancaster and RO were lucky to pull 40 for three to ten openings. Dallas will most likely be lowering their standards soon since they are getting wiped out. There are just not that many people wanting to be a cop. Which is a shame because the news media is probably scaring off the guys we need and want.

When I applied in Lancaster in 02, they had about 40 or so apply and they were taking 11. I had a group of guys that all knew each other telling me don't worry it would take a bunch of attempts before I could get hired on. Made it on the first try but probably only because they needed 11. They usually take experience first, pre certified second and guys they need to send to the academy last. Not all departments will do that but I got lucky on both accounts. Red Oak was kind of willey nilley back in the day and I got on based on my experience, they no longer do that. Red Oak is more in line with civil service now. My current department needed experience and appreciated the fact I have no BS in my background in 15 years. My background could almost look like a gypsy cop but I have always burned out on good terms looking for a better opportunity. I had 12 years of retail and sales, 10 with a grocery store, and two with a statewide sales agency.
        Last edited by kingjason; 07-24-2017, 02:30 PM.
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
          I had a friend look into this at 40. He went the fire department route instead.
          This guy made the right decision!
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
            If you make it to retirement it is decent. 25 years is way better money wise if that is still around. Lots of days off but lots of BS to go with it. I have seen lots of turn over in this job. maybe two other guys I started with out of 12 still in the field. Some have been prosecuted and most just fired or quit. Also, you still work all the hours just in a lump sum and not all spread out. I do like twelves though and I am back on them now. Nice being able to burn 16 hours and take your short week off..
            I'd rather work 12's and have a three day weekend and then a four day weekend. Not ideal for everyone, but beats the hell out of an 8-5 in my opinion. I guess the BS just depends on the department and what position you are in.
            2012 GT500

Comment

Is your back going to hold up, Aaron?
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                They'll just shoot you in the back as running made them fear for their life.
                Gotta remember to wear the vest on the back instead!
                Originally posted by David View Post
                I had a friend look into this at 40. He went the fire department route instead.
                I didn't think they took ppl that old, I've thought about it, I like fire!

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
                  Gotta remember to wear the vest on the back instead!

I didn't think they took ppl that old, I've thought about it, I like fire!
                  Think it depends on if the department is civil service or not. My buddy was just tired of his business and looking for something else to do. And have benefits. So 9 days of work a month and $50k extra a year in income.

Comment

Lots of dudes do the military gig at 18, get out at 38 and do the cop thing, get out at 58, and pull in double pension. Tons of hard ass work but those suckers have one hell of a retirement.

My wife knows someone who did that, and his wife gets a teacher pension too.

I imagine the burnout rate is pretty high over the years as the stress takes its toll, but i wouldnt worry about it. Hell, where i work I had around 16 people doing my role all ahead of me in seniority 2 years ago, and right now im 3rd in seniority.

Comment

A lot of departments have an age cut off but it's like 42. If you go that route or fire, be completely honest and don't lie about anything. They will find everything out about you. They'll call your references, then call you're references, references. Also start working out and get in shape if you're not already.

Comment

So what I"m hearing is I'm not too old to be a cop.......Officer Frost......
                        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                          So what I"m hearing is I'm not too old to be a cop.......Officer Frost......
                          I forgot to mention they check your mental health as well.

Comment

I kinda doubt 36 is too old
                            WH

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
                              I forgot to mention they check your mental health as well.
                              I'm golden. I can shoot a dog from 150 meters like a boss. Do I have to bring in ears or do they take my word?

Also, when I tried out in Killeen, I passed the mental oddly enough.
                              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                                Is your back going to hold up, Aaron?
                                I could stand to lose a little weight currently but I think with dropping some weight I would be fine.

I'm not in terrible shape right now but would definitely get to work on it before I even thought about applying or trying out.

I went on a ride along with an unnamed board member here last Saturday night and found it very interesting/intriguing, not to mention challenging.

Comment

Working...
                                X