Are the days of the $5k Foxbody over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the days of the $5k Foxbody over?

It's been several years since I looked up the price of a fox body mustang. Last I checked you could still find plenty of them in decent shape for $5k or better. I guess since they're now old enough to be "classics", most of the owners/sellers have lost their goddamn minds.
    "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

I don't think so. I don't focus on fox bodies, but I regularly search FB marketplace for 65-66 Mustangs and foxbodies filter into that search. It looks like there are still 5K foxes out there in decent shape to me.

It makes sense that they would eventually rise in price, but they're nowhere near as high as the 60's cars. Those are unfortunately pretty expensive now. Used to find a decent v8 coupe for 5k all day, now people are asking 15K. Don't know if they're selling for that, but that's what they're listed as.

Comment

Try looking for a stock 3rd gen Nova coupe or 240 Z. Geeez, cars are starting to become collectible again and a sellable asset. I think Motor Trend TV and Discovery have made these once cheap cars skyrocket now and people are hoarding them.

Comment

Originally posted by asphaltjunkie View Post
        It's been several years since I looked up the price of a fox body mustang. Last I checked you could still find plenty of them in decent shape for $5k or better. I guess since they're now old enough to be "classics", most of the owners/sellers have lost their goddamn minds.

People are IDIOTS right now on prices. Don't believe me, look for an 88-98 Silverado. They're asking these prices, but nothing is selling. Just be patient and look for a deal, that or lowball the crap out of these people.

Comment

Fox body cars are ridunkculas right now. Not that I would want to buy one of these rattle traps and even the 93 SVT Cobra wouldn't make me want to buy one.
          Someone sent me a link of a nice, low mileage, clean Fox couple for $15k, I couldn't stop laughing.
          I'd spend $20k on a nice Terminator before I'd drop that kind of coin on a Fox of ANY year...
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
            Not that I would want to buy one of these rattle traps and even the 93 SVT Cobra wouldn't make me want to buy one.
            I love Foxes for what they are, and being rattle traps is part of the charm. That said, I can think of a dozen fun cars off the top of my head that I would get/build before one of them.

But if that's what you love or grew up with or whatever, I get it. There's something to simple, light and fun.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
              People are IDIOTS right now on prices. Don't believe me, look for an 88-98 Silverado. They're asking these prices, but nothing is selling. Just be patient and look for a deal, that or lowball the crap out of these people.
              I'm about to put classic plates on my 96 Z-71. I see a regular cab short bed on CL for $16k right now, I'll take $12,995 since mine has a lot of hail damage.

Comment

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/199...-svt-cobra-30/

Comment

I bought a Z3 M Roadster a year or so ago for 9200 the dealer had for months, some magazine ran a article on how rare they are and it added about 5k to the value in a week for high mile cars and doubled the value of the low mile ones.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                    I'm about to put classic plates on my 96 Z-71. I see a regular cab short bed on CL for $16k right now, I'll take $12,995 since mine has a lot of hail damage.
                    Hell yeah dude, 13K is a steal. I used to get those damned things with blown intake gaskets for $1000 every week, now people want $5k for rollers.

Comment

I've got my fox insured for agreed value of $15k but that was like 3-4 years ago I bumped it up to that knowing it was way more than it was worth but couldn't build it again for less than that. And it has crap paint right now but I'm still thinking of bumping it up to $20k.
                      Originally posted by stevo
                      Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Car prices seem to be doing much better than I expected. I thought for sure they would be at a low...but my trucks estimated trade in value is identical to my purchase price 3 years ago...

Must be those low interest rates.

Comment

All of this is being driven by very low interest rates. That is why you see so many people who "don't have to sell".

The only real cheap mustangs right now are the SN95s, the new edge cars and the Mustang IIs. Everything else is high as shit. Even 71-73 cars which are hated by a lot of people are high.
                          Originally posted by racrguy
                          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                          Originally posted by racrguy
                          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Yes, those days are far gone. $5k might get you a very clapped out fox. You ain’t touching a clean stock one or one that has good work put into it for $5k.

Comment

You could however take your pick of ‘65 stangs for much less than $5k.

Comment

Working...
                              X