Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a set of snow chains I can borrow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
    I have all of the items that I listed except for the rims and tires laying around and assumed that many of the type of people who post here would to.

When going into rough country you can never be too prepared and you should carry everything I listed along with extra gas and food if there is even the slightest chance of getting snow bound and even if you have chains on your tires. I went to school up north and every year in the spring a few unlucky and unprepared people were found thawing out in their cars after being missing for a few months. I got stuck badly in upper MI once because the snow was too deep even for a 4x4 on 36" tires. I had to winch myself out 75ft at a time over a few days.
    I really wanted to give you shit but thought the same thing...what pickup owner doesnt have 3 of those 4 at least?

Not that I think it's a good replacement for chains...but who doesnt have a shovel, sand and recovery strap?

Comment

Colorado DOT will pull you over and make you turn around/write tickets depending on the severity of the road conditions depending on the mood of the officer. I know they enforce it at Wolf Creek Pass on big trucks..not sure on passenger vehicles. Never had an issue with my 98 4x4 GMC Z71...this 2WD model gets a little more interesting.

Comment

I have a set of the washer type chains you are welcome to borrow. It's only a set of two for the back. I also have a few cinder blocks if you want a little weight to put over the rear axle. The chains are from my 2006 GMC so should fit. I am in south Ft Worth.

Comment

Originally posted by kobuzz View Post
          I have a set of the washer type chains you are welcome to borrow. It's only a set of two for the back. I also have a few cinder blocks if you want a little weight to put over the rear axle. The chains are from my 2006 GMC so should fit. I am in south Ft Worth.
          Where at in S. Ft Worth? Might consider rolling out there in my truck one night this week and test fitting them if you can make time. Just looked at the Colorado DOT cameras for Wolf Creek and I'm thinking chains might be a good idea if the weather continues up there like it is now.

Comment

I am about 1/2 mile south of 20 and Mc Cart street exit. Your more than welcome whenever your ready. I will get them out of the shed and make sure everything is ok with them. Haven't used them for the last two winters.

Comment

Wolf Creek can be super sketchy in snowy conditions, and they will probably require either chains or 4wd with snow rated tires if it’s storming. That said, if you go over it during the day and it’s not actively snowing, you should be fine. The plows run 5 AM-7PM, and they do a great job. Once they’ve come through and there’s no more new snow, you shouldn’t have much issue, even with 2wd. Just be careful. But ya, if it’s actively snowing, you’ll want all the help you can get. If it’s after 7 PM and snowing, I wouldn’t go over it at all.

Where ya headed? Pagosa? Durango?

Comment

i rode my bike up the million dollar highway last october. woke up in ouray one morning and it snowed over night. pretty hairy getting to silverton. took awhile

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                  Wolf Creek can be super sketchy in snowy conditions, and they will probably require either chains or 4wd with snow rated tires if it’s storming. That said, if you go over it during the day and it’s not actively snowing, you should be fine. The plows run 5 AM-7PM, and they do a great job. Once they’ve come through and there’s no more new snow, you shouldn’t have much issue, even with 2wd. Just be careful. But ya, if it’s actively snowing, you’ll want all the help you can get. If it’s after 7 PM and snowing, I wouldn’t go over it at all.

Where ya headed? Pagosa? Durango?
                  I'm no stranger to Wolf Creek Pass...Been skiing there close to 20 times over the years. I have a house rented in Pagosa Springs. I've taken almost every car I've owned up there...83 Supra 5spd (fun), 94 400+hp Trans Am (scary), my old 98 GMC Sierra 4x4 (unstoppable), my GN back in its early days(not fun on ice unless you're playing)..and my current 2WD Sierra. The Trans Am was the most inappropriate car for obvious reasons...the old GMC was easily the best suited. I won't even attempt to go north of Pagosa at night..even the road to Durango gets slick at night but I will do that one. I keep watching the weather and it just keeps on snowing..great for skiing...not so great for a drive.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                    I have all of the items that I listed except for the rims and tires laying around and assumed that many of the type of people who post here would to.

When going into rough country you can never be too prepared and you should carry everything I listed along with extra gas and food if there is even the slightest chance of getting snow bound and even if you have chains on your tires. I went to school up north and every year in the spring a few unlucky and unprepared people were found thawing out in their cars after being missing for a few months. I got stuck badly in upper MI once because the snow was too deep even for a 4x4 on 36" tires. I had to winch myself out 75ft at a time over a few days.
                    Did you have to drink your own piss too, Bear Grylls?
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Cheap but a little drive for you probably

Comment

I am about 1/2 mile south of 20 and Mc Cart street exit. Your more than welcome whenever your ready. I will get them out of the shed and make sure everything is ok with them. Haven't used them for the last two winters.
                        Sent you a private message whenever you get a chance.

Comment

I know you said these would be a 1 time use item, but with your frequency in visiting colorado isn't there a fair chance you could use a set next season too? I'd be a strong advocate of just ponying up the $85ish bucks for a pair and keep them on hand for the winter months. I have a pair I bought years ago that live under the back seat with a recovery strap during the winter months, and go back on a shelf until the following season. They're one of those things that you dont need often, but sure are nice to have on hand when you do.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                            I know you said these would be a 1 time use item, but with your frequency in visiting colorado isn't there a fair chance you could use a set next season too? I'd be a strong advocate of just ponying up the $85ish bucks for a pair and keep them on hand for the winter months. I have a pair I bought years ago that live under the back seat with a recovery strap during the winter months, and go back on a shelf until the following season. They're one of those things that you dont need often, but sure are nice to have on hand when you do.
                            Probably will when I get back. Debating selling the truck later this year and trying to get into a 4x4.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                              Did you have to drink your own piss too, Bear Grylls?
                              No, I had lots of water, fuel, and a ton of food with me. Even if I didn't have water I could have melted some snow in a kettle. I was prepared for every possible scenario except for the snow getting insanely deep in one area that was a choke point that I had to get through.
                              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Got to give a big thank you to this guy for letting me borrow his chains. Hope I don't need them but I'd rather be prepared in case I do. Thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
                                X