Home theater audio questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home theater audio questions

Hey, dipshits! I just bought a new house and decided I needed a big ass tv. So now I have an 85" tv with crappy sound. I am thinking that I want a sound bar, sub woofer and 2 satellite speakers (wired). Should I buy a receiver and buy the speakers separately or is there a magical site where I can put in what a want and see what is out there? I are dumb. Thanks!

Originally posted by BradM View Post
    Hey, dipshits! I just bought a new house and decided I needed a big ass tv. So now I have an 85" tv with crappy sound. I am thinking that I want a sound bar, sub woofer and 2 satellite speakers (wired). Should I buy a receiver and buy the speakers separately or is there a magical site where I can put in what a want and see what is out there? I are dumb. Thanks!
    While there are some surprisingly good soundbar systems out there I don’t think any of them will do justice to an 85” home theater system. I prefer a separate receiver with good speakers and separate powered sub. My Boston front towers sound phenomenal and each one has its own powered subwoofer built in with its own amp. Found em at a pawn shop for 75 bucks. Bought my Boston surrounds on eBay for 40 bucks shipped and mounted them to the ceiling. Bought my Klipsch Center channel at a pawn shop for 45 bucks. Bought a Yamaha Aventage RX-a1000 receiver on eBay for 150 and this system sounds better than some movie theaters I’ve been to. Shop around and do it right. Good deals are out there.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
      While there are some surprisingly good soundbar systems out there I don’t think any of them will do justice to an 85” home theater system. I prefer a separate receiver with good speakers and separate powered sub. My Boston front towers sound phenomenal and each one has its own powered subwoofer built in with its own amp. Found em at a pawn shop for 75 bucks. Bought my Boston surrounds on eBay for 40 bucks shipped and mounted them to the ceiling. Bought my Klipsch Center channel at a pawn shop for 45 bucks. Bought a Yamaha Aventage RX-a1000 receiver on eBay for 150 and this system sounds better than some movie theaters I’ve been to. Shop around and do it right. Good deals are out there.
      Shit, I need to go pawn shopping with you! I haven't been to a pawn shop to look at anything other than guns.... maybe ever.

Comment

I've done it two ways, the home theater in a box and the custom system. I turned my garage into a man cave, I measured and set up my speakers perfectly. Got a Denon 5.1 receiver, Yamaha L/R/C channel, Sony powered sub, and Kenwood surround. I can match a theater in quality with a very budget minded system.

The theater in a box is OK, good for a small living room, but nowhere near the quality of what I built.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
          Shit, I need to go pawn shopping with you! I haven't been to a pawn shop to look at anything other than guns.... maybe ever.
          I actually found a set of my Boston towers on Craigslist last week for $120 bucks in perfect condition. They fucking rock. When I go to pawn shops looking for specific things I usually do some research and know what I'm looking for. I don't hit up ghetto pawn shops in rough parts of town..usually the ones around Love Field/Oak Lawn area have good quality merchandise.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
            I've done it two ways, the home theater in a box and the custom system. I turned my garage into a man cave, I measured and set up my speakers perfectly. Got a Denon 5.1 receiver, Yamaha L/R/C channel, Sony powered sub, and Kenwood surround. I can match a theater in quality with a very budget minded system.

The theater in a box is OK, good for a small living room, but nowhere near the quality of what I built.
            Yeah I've tried the HTIB systems....most of them suck.

Comment

With that size TV you need to skip the sound bar and do at least a 5.1 surround.

Comment

If you can wait a couple of weeks Best Buy will be loaded up with superbowl restocks on all kinds of home theater stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                  If you can wait a couple of weeks Best Buy will be loaded up with superbowl restocks on all kinds of home theater stuff.
                  I like the way you think!

Comment

I have the Klipsch 7.2.4 Reference Premiere Home Theater System with a Marantz SR7013 9.2-Channel AV Receiver and a NAD T 777 V3 amp with my projector setup. Sounds amazing...not cheap though.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                      The sale is on now, just checked their website, 4 day sale ends Sunday. Before the SB is always a great time to buy home theater shit.

Does the media room or wherever the TV is have a ceiling you can put speakers in so they are overhead? Ours is that way, I like the sound separation I get from each speaker.

I've always had good luck with Yamaha receivers too.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                        I have the Klipsch 7.2.4 Reference Premiere Home Theater System with a Marantz SR7013 9.2-Channel AV Receiver and a NAD T 777 V3 amp with my projector setup. Sounds amazing...not cheap though.
                        NICE! I don't have that kind of scratch to spend on more stuff for this tv right now.

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                        The sale is on now, just checked their website, 4 day sale ends Sunday. Before the SB is always a great time to buy home theater shit.

Does the media room or wherever the TV is have a ceiling you can put speakers in so they are overhead? Ours is that way, I like the sound separation I get from each speaker.

I've always had good luck with Yamaha receivers too.
                        Yes, it is already wired for 2 overhead speakers in the back. Thanks for the tips. I will check the best buy website and see what's up.

Comment

Spend the bulk of your budget on center channel, amp, and sub if you go 5.1 or 7.1. You can upgrade satellites later. Honestly, some of the monoprice in wall/ceiling stuff is pretty good.

I have a pretty solid Yamaha amp with my projector, old JBL Northridge EC--35 center, in walls for surround and front sides, and 2 Jamo powered subs. It does great.

Comment

Harmon Kardon 7.1 w/ JBL sats and self powered sub, shit will rock your fucking face off!

And I didn't spend under $1K...
                            Originally posted by Silverback
                            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                              Harmon Kardon 7.1 w/ JBL sats and self powered sub, shit will rock your fucking face off!

And I didn't spend under $1K...
                              My Harman Kardan died a few years ago. I found a nice Yamaha on sale but miss that HK. Good stuff!

Comment

Working...
                              X