No announcement yet.

Home theater audio questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go with a good 5.1 (or 5.2) setup. I’d spend the bulk of the money on a badass receiver and then you can upgrade the speakers down the line. I was running 7.2 for a long time and recently switched to 5.2 and bi-amped the front towers instead. Much better, and I don’t miss the extra two rear speakers at all. When you start spending money on your speakers, don’t skimp on the front towers and center channel. You can piece stuff together, but try to match the towers to the center as best as possible. You can get pretty good subs for $200-300 if you shop around, or you can spend waaay more, but imo, I’d rather spend the money on receiver and front/center speakers first. If you skimp anywhere, let it be on your rear satellite speakers. I’m not a fan of mounting them in the ceiling or high on the wall, but to each their own. I say if you have the space, place them strategically at ear level.

I’ve got an older Yamaha RX-867 network receiver that was all the rage when it was new, and I still love it. I run a pair of Klipsch RP-260F front towers with a Klipsch RP-450C center speaker, R-15M satellites, and two Polk PSW505 subs. It sounds pretty damn good for being mid-level stuff. Klipsch makes very good speakers, and their super high end stuff is really, really badass, but way out of my budget.

I have screen envy, though. I’m still rocking an old 73” DLP. Sure would like something 82+.
    Last edited by jluv; 01-24-2019, 08:11 PM.

Comment

I’m rockin JBL Studio 2’s with my tiny 75” on a Yamaha receiver. I have no complaints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Rocking Denon 2311 for about 9 years with some cheap ass Onkyo speakers I got from HTIB and Polk PSW505 that pounds for me.

Plan on upgrading to Klipch sometime this year maybe

Comment

Just picked up a Denon AVR-S540BT at best buy over Christmas to replace my old receiver that finally died. It's pushing a 5.1 setup - Polk RM-6750 - and getting it done nicely

Highly recommend skipping the soundbar route ...

Comment

I may get 2 of these and call it good for now.

My wife hit me with a pretty big ask tonight so it looks like full on surround is on hold. Thanks for your input everybody and I am glad I got to gloat about my giant tv. What do you guys think about those in the link?

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post

My wife hit me with a pretty big ask tonight so it looks like full on surround is on hold. Thanks for your input everybody and I am glad I got to gloat about my giant tv. What do you guys think about those in the link?
              Those are great speakers, and that’s a great price. Do it! I have the smaller version of those (two 6” vs two 8”), and I still paid almost double that a few years ago. At that price, they are worth every penny and then some.

That said, you still need a good receiver (if you get a 7.1 receiver, you should be able to run it 5.1 and then bi-amp those speakers, which i highly recommend), a center channel (extremely important), and a decent sub. A pair of towers alone is fine for listening to music, but it’s not a solution for movies/tv. Keep in mind that all of the dialogue and much of the other important audio in movies comes through the center channel. Some receivers allow you to go without a center and use the front R/L to create a “phantom” center, but that’s hokey shit.
              Last edited by jluv; 01-24-2019, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Those horns for some is horrible sound.
                If you get a reciever make sure that it has room for two subs. Also enough hdmi inputs that you need. My phone I can't bluetooth to my Denon, so I have to use my chromecast to cast YouTube unless you have a smart which I'm sure everyone has. If you do 5.1/2 or 7.1/2 dont do anything wireless.

Comment

Some of those high end bose sound bar systems are flat out amazing. I hate the look of a full system so that's my vote, but im not an audiofile. I care more about a clean appearance and simplicity.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                    Those horns for some is horrible sound.
                    If you get a reciever make sure that it has room for two subs. Also enough hdmi inputs that you need. My phone I can't bluetooth to my Denon, so I have to use my chromecast to cast YouTube unless you have a smart which I'm sure everyone has. If you do 5.1/2 or 7.1/2 dont do anything wireless.
                    Klipsch has the horn design nailed. I think they sound awesome, personally.

Comment

Have you tried hitting yourself?

Comment

The RP280F's that I have rock...add the 12" sub at some point and you'll be good.

Comment

Again...soundbars as a theater system are not going to do justice to an 85" tv if you really want the home theater experience. That said...several years ago when Costco was doing clearance before Black Friday I picked up a Vizio 42 inch true 5.1 soundbar that included a subwoofer and 2 rear speakers with remote for $169....I was astounded that it could produce the sound quality that it produced...in a medium sized bedroom. Moving back to Dallas I packed up my Yamaha receiver, Advent Heritage towers, Boston surrounds and Klipsch center channel and decided to try the soundbar in my new smaller living room. It was decent until I wanted to have any real volume with movies at which point it was very unhappy. I started searching for front speakers that I could squeeze into my entertainment system beside the TV screen which led me to the Bostons I have now which makes my system a 5.2 It sounds FAR better than the Vizio 5.1 soundbar system...and if I want volume it can provide more than enough. Soundbars have come a long way in the last few years...but they won't match a well setup true separates system IMHO.

Comment

Here's the cheapest option, make it sound more personal too.

Click me

Comment

I've got the Sonos set up for the tv in the living room, and it does the job, even in the relatively large room. Super easy to set up too, especially being that there isn't carpet to run wires under.

That said, movie nights are had in the theater room with full 7.2 and 120 inche projected on a Slate screen. Can't compare the two, but for more casual viewing the Sonos isn't a disappointment.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X