"Deep Sea" fishing trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Deep Sea" fishing trip

So I am looking to have a dude's day with my cousin when I head out to Alabama next month. He lives about 2 hours from Panama City, FL. I was wanting to do a "deep sea" trip, but have never been on one. I've gone a few miles out to go diving, but that is about it.

What is considered "Deep Sea"?

How long would be enjoyable, but not get old or boring. I don't drink booze so that is different than most people.

What if you catch something, but don't want to eat it?

Alternative options for a day activity instead of deep sea fishing?

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
    So I am looking to have a dude's day with my cousin when I head out to Alabama next month. He lives about 2 hours from Panama City, FL. I was wanting to do a "deep sea" trip, but have never been on one. I've gone a few miles out to go diving, but that is about it.

How long would be enjoyable, but not get old or boring. I don't drink booze so that is different than most people.

Deep see is typically an 8-12 hour gig with a majority of the time spent to & from.
    Marlin may be a better choice. If you don't want to keep the haul, you can release (of course) or many of the guides will buy your catch and sell it back at the dock, depending on the catch.

David

Comment

Deep Sea means just that, the water is deeper. Around 100 feet or more. You go out a few miles and away from shipping channels.

It doesn't sound like you'd really get much out of it though. It's an excuse to drink, hang out and hopefully fight some fish. Check out the Sea Screamer. http://www.seascreamer.net/ It's a whole lot cheaper but still a blast. There is also some kind of pirate ship tour you can take.

There is plenty to do in PC.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
        Deep Sea means just that, the water is deeper. Around 100 feet or more. You go out a few miles and away from shipping channels.

It doesn't sound like you'd really get much out of it though. It's an excuse to drink, hang out and hopefully fight some fish. Check out the Sea Screamer. http://www.seascreamer.net/ It's a whole lot cheaper but still a blast. There is also some kind of pirate ship tour you can take.

There is plenty to do in PC.
        I totally just want to hang out and shoot the breeze while occasionally reeling in a fish. I like to fish, just dont like to eat them. I was just going to bring a cooler full of water and Dr. Pepper...I'll check out that link though.

Comment

It's fun, but more fun on a larger, catamaran type boat, and with as few people as possible. It also depends on what is in season. Snapper, grouper, Mahi, and such are great, which is bottom fishing, for the most part. I've never had as much luck drift fishing, but I know it has been good at times.

Statements above about the trip out and back are important, as is taking meds for motion sickness, which can make the trip the longest hours of your life.
          sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
          17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
          13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
          86 SVO - Sold
          '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
          01 TJ - new toy - Sold
          65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

My wife and dad have been looking at 6 hour trips out of Gulfshores. I'll see what they've come up with and post it up.

They're looking at a party boat in lieu of a charter due to the cost.
            G'Day Mate

Comment

I totally just want to hang out and shoot the breeze while occasionally reeling in a fish. I like to fish, just dont like to eat them. I was just going to bring a cooler full of water and Dr. Pepper...I'll check out that link though.
              You can catch some pretty big stuff fishing from piers or in the jettys. https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...ndrews#Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                Statements above about the trip out and back are important, as is taking meds for motion sickness, which can make the trip the longest hours of your life.
                We had a group go out in the gulf, and it was about 10 hours total. One guy that went spent the first 6 hours hung over the rail heaving... Turns out he gets motion sickness on ferry's but thought it would be fun. He ended up catching a good size black tip shark and was grinning ear to ear after that.

Comment

Didn't we have a semi pro deep sea fisherman that liked to dip his lure into bloody waters?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
                    Didn't we have a semi pro deep sea fisherman that liked to dip his lure into bloody waters?
                    yeah, i ran into him at norther tool yesterday at lunch.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I know a guide in that area if you are looking for one, Wild Orange Charters

Comment

depends on what you want to catch. When I said deep sea, I wanted marlin, and the guide out of Destin said it would be a two day trip because it would take 7-8 hours to just get out there, one way out to the real deep areas.

Honestly I'd go bay fishing or just offshore, you can have plenty of fun catching reds, grouper, etc close. If you go deep, make sure folks wont get sea sick, that can ruin a trip, been there, done that. If you want to go deep out of Mobile or the Northern Florida panhandle, just know its a good haul to get out to the deep water. That particular trip I decided to just have the guide take me out in the bay and we caught some serious fish and had a great time. 4 hours was plenty, 6-8 can be long especially if you aren't catching fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                          yeah, i ran into him at norther tool yesterday at lunch.

He arrest you for running into him or just tell you how he would have to get his side of the story first?

Comment

I stick to the intracoastal for the fish I like to eat. Offshore can be shit show sometimes.

Comment

I'm going next month, change in plans no longer going to Port A. Going to Pensacola Beach.
                              sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                              🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Working...
                              X