Let's talk zero turns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk zero turns

So I am shopping around for a new mower, I have my eye on a bad boy but there seems to be so many options I'm kinda torn. I mow 2.5 acres with some hills so something around a 48-50 inch deck would be good. It needs to have a foot assist lift for the deck as I have a ton of places that I currently have to raise and lower to prevent from chopping the dirt. I am wanting to keep the price in the $4000 range+-. They sell Dixie choppers up the street from me but for some reason I am a bit turned off on them. Hustler seems to be a solid mower as well. I don't think I can afford something like a scag.

What do you guys use? Likes don't likes?

A buddy just got a Deere Z915B and it's a bad bitch, but it's over double your max. He did a lot of research and said he read a lot of negative about Bad Boy. The deck on the JD was a big selling point, as they don't clog. It's plenty fast, 60" deck, and seems pretty easy to maintain as everything is accessible.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Yeah I don't wanna spend that much. I've been searching and cannot find a lot of specific bad things about the bad boy mowers. I've heard the huskee mowers are really good and they have a few in my price range. I understand my price will limit the overall quality I can get, but it should definitely be better then a 1k throwaway model from lowes.

Comment

My dad has had a hustler raptor for a couple of years now. He cuts right at 2 ac a week with and no issues yet. We have a couple of bad boys the we use at work for the district office it's right at 6 ac of grass. We've replaced the blade bearings on both mowers and have had steering issues with one.

Comment

I have a Bad Boy Maverick 61". I like it but one of the hydraulic pump seals was leaking. The dealer ended up replacing the whole pump since they don't have the right tools to take it a part. (Under warranty)

For that money I think it was the best choice. I was looking for something with some type of suspension, which is why I went with the maverick model. Also added the Grammer suspension seat.

I mow about 3-4 acres

Comment

Originally posted by FastFord19 View Post
            I have a Bad Boy Maverick 61". I like it but one of the hydraulic pump seals was leaking. The dealer ended up replacing the whole pump since they don't have the right tools to take it a part. (Under warranty)

For that money I think it was the best choice. I was looking for something with some type of suspension, which is why I went with the maverick model. Also added the Grammer suspension seat.

I mow about 3-4 acres
            Feel free to mow 5 more next door.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

I bought the Bad Boy MZ Magnum 42" last year to mow our acre. I think it's a great mower for the money. I chose the 42" because I have a ton of trees to maneuver around.
              sigpic

Comment

Ive been eyeing these.

Best-in-class Zero-Turn Mowers including the award-winning Ultima ZT and the new Ultima ZTX series. Financing available.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

When I bought mine, I narrowed it down to Scag, Gravely, Bad Boy or Ferris. I ended up getting a good deal on the Gravely and price ultimately put it ahead of the competition.

I always tell people to go sit on it, ride it, mow with it, etc. You can listen to recommendations all day long and everyone has their opinion. I was really planning on the BadBoy Outlaw XP but after driving it, I didnt like it. The suspension wasnt as good as I thought it would be, the hydraulics felt mushy. Scag was almost $1500 more for the same specs with the other brands. Gravely ultimately won due to price and it had a suspension seat which was way better than the suspension on the Bad Boy. Ferris had a damn nice ride but the Gravely ended up being almost $1000 cheaper.

I didnt investigate Hustler like I should have. I have neighbors with them and they love them. They get a lot of praise online as well.

Comment

[QUOTE=bcoop;1636910]A buddy just got a Deere Z915B and it's a bad bitch, but it's over double your max. He did a lot of research and said he read a lot of negative about Bad Boy. The deck on the JD was a big selling point, as they don't clog. It's plenty fast, 60" deck, and seems pretty easy to maintain as everything is accessible.[/

We bought a JD for the ranch a few years ago, worst zero turn I've ever owned, hydraulics suck, broken welds ( first year ) other problems with the clutch etc..
                    Bought a gravely and a hustler at an estate sale and one of my mowing crews used them both all year with no problems, still working today . That's 90 lawns per week. Just FYI, I will never buy a commercial for my home lawn again, the residential ones will work fine. I will buy a gravely though, the blade speed was how my bunton ran, only mower with that blade speed I'd ever seen.

Comment

After a bit more research, I am leaning towards scag. They have a fairly new residential line be it a couple years old. They are just a touch over where I want to be price wise being in the $4200 range, but I think it will be worth the couple hundred. They also have the best warranty I have found with a 5 year 750 hour warranty.

Any input on kohler vs Kawasaki engine selection? From reviews the Kawasaki seems to be a smoother quieter engine but the kohler is suppose to have a better power curve. I've always been a fan of the kohler line but a lot of guys seem to like the Kawasaki. Thoughts?

Comment

Everyone will tell you Kawasaki.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                          Not sure how it compares to their push mowers, but I have had one for about 10 years now that I have done all of 3 things to.. Changed the air filter a few years ago, replaced the starter assembly after the cord and return spring broke a month ago, and replaced the blade a couple times after bending them hitting shit in my yard over the years. Engine-wise it has been solid.

Comment

my buddy turned me on to them has had a rider for many years without any issue. He's one of those guys that changes oil/belts/fluids regularly, so it isnt from lack of maintenance.

I want to go test drive one, he bought another brand and it isnt that great on the "zero" part. It wigs out a bit on hard turns. Still mows a lot faster than his rider.
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Zero turns are super fast but I can only do a true zero turn on the driveway or it will rut up the lawn.

Comment

Working...
                              X