Boat Stereo system corroded, need to replace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat Stereo system corroded, need to replace

I've got a 2007 Supra 24SSV with a Kenwood marine unit and 2 marine remotes for it (helm and transom for swimming) that will no longer power on or work at all. My boat guy looked and said it's corrosion and should be replaced, possibly my PPI DCX800.5 amp too (which would SUCK).

What are my options? I'd really like to get another kenwood if it will work with the existing remotes but not sure if they are gonna be compatible with today's stereo head units.

If I have to replace the amp, it currently runs 10x Alpine Type S 6.5" speakers and 1x 10" sub. It originally ran my JL 10W7 but that died so I just put in another 10" sub I had on hand for now. When new it was seriously a bad ass system that had great sound and tons of volume. I'm not looking to spend a ton here, already spent a lot on it this year and I'm hoping that for now I can just do a head unit.

EW, you out there?
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

EW is the man, but it looks like you know that already.

I picked up a couple pair of alpine marine speakers for a friend's boat, and it looks like the amp may be dead. I need to go by and troubleshoot it.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

You're lucky as hell it lasted this long. I take it that ssv has low hours.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
        You're lucky as hell it lasted this long. I take it that ssv has low hours.
        I think like 280ish hours, it didn't get used AT ALL last year due to the flooding everywhere I didn't even bother to de-winterize it. Also with 2 kids the previous couple of years it just didn't see a lot of use but we are looking to really get back into it this year as we now have a covered private slip with a lift for it, no more having to put it in and out of the water with me being the only one who can/will drive the trailer and stuff.

Stevo

Comment

Cool man. Those ssvs, along with the late early 2000s xstars and Nautiques are my favorite wakes. I looked at new Nautiques about a year ago and they are 150k+now lol..
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
            I think like 280ish hours, it didn't get used AT ALL last year due to the flooding everywhere I didn't even bother to de-winterize it. Also with 2 kids the previous couple of years it just didn't see a lot of use but we are looking to really get back into it this year as we now have a covered private slip with a lift for it, no more having to put it in and out of the water with me being the only one who can/will drive the trailer and stuff.
            What marina did you go to? I put in at the Little Elm ramp but it gets old having to use the ramp every weekend. I have a friend that has a slip in Lake Dallas but they are all so high I haven't found one that was that great of a deal. Theres a house over by me for sale with a boat house but its out of my price range

Comment

I've got a Kenwood Bluetooth Marine HU in my Nautique that I got about a year ago and love it. I'll look at what model it is when I get home. And, I wanted to add a transom remote but honestly I don't want or need it with the bluetooth. My I-Phone is in a waterproof case so I just leave it in the back cup holder that I can reach from the swim platform. Works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
                Cool man. Those ssvs, along with the late early 2000s xstars and Nautiques are my favorite wakes. I looked at new Nautiques about a year ago and they are 150k+now lol..
                Oh yeah, prices have gotten STUPID on these boats. I got mine at the beginning of 08 (07 model) for like $80k and it was the most loaded out one they offered. Now even the entry level ones are over that price, but hey it keeps the value up higher on the older ones.

Originally posted by kpc01 View Post
                What marina did you go to? I put in at the Little Elm ramp but it gets old having to use the ramp every weekend. I have a friend that has a slip in Lake Dallas but they are all so high I haven't found one that was that great of a deal. There's a house over by me for sale with a boat house but its out of my price range
                My uncle has like 4 lake houses on the same street up at Texoma and two private boat slips in the cove right by the houses. That's where I keep my boat for the last few years as I got tired of towing it back and forth from here to Texoma.

Originally posted by Treybiz View Post
                I've got a Kenwood Bluetooth Marine HU in my Nautique that I got about a year ago and love it. I'll look at what model it is when I get home. And, I wanted to add a transom remote but honestly I don't want or need it with the bluetooth. My I-Phone is in a waterproof case so I just leave it in the back cup holder that I can reach from the swim platform. Works for me.
                My boat has the radio in the glove box, a wired remote at the helm, and a wired transom remote. Ideally I'd like to keep both remotes working and just put in a new head unit but not sure if the new head units will work with my two older remotes? Here's the setup in question.

Stevo

Comment

I know ive said this before, but that's a pretty badass boat.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Excuse my ignorance, but why would corrosion be the issue? Is it due to that type of boat taking on a lot more water than other types? Had mine in a covered slip, but still got wet the last couple years...etc and the wiring seems fine 'cept the battery cables are showing some wear. Yours is older though...and a boat mech will know more than me - just seems a little suspect.
                    Originally posted by MR EDD
                    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Just humidity will cause tons of corrosion. If the boat is stored in a slip, the electronics take a beating. Most name brand marine products have conformal coatings on the board to slow corrosion but with time...I think you'll have to replace the deck and remotes. All the current Kenwood units are DIN. If you have to buy a new amp, the JL Marine stuff is good.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
                        Just humidity will cause tons of corrosion. If the boat is stored in a slip, the electronics take a beating. Most name brand marine products have conformal coatings on the board to slow corrosion but with time...I think you'll have to replace the deck and remotes. All the current Kenwood units are DIN. If you have to buy a new amp, the JL Marine stuff is good.
                        Crap...should read better. it's the electronics - not the wiring really that is hurting.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                          I know ive said this before, but that's a pretty badass boat.
                          Thanks man, I really love the boat... we should setup a day for 5-10 guys to go up and surf for the day, but Texoma is a long ass way for you!

Originally posted by EW View Post
                          That kinda sucks, hopefully any new remotes will come in a similar size to fit the same places I have the old ones.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                            That kinda sucks, hopefully any new remotes will come in a similar size to fit the same places I have the old ones.
                            More or less a long shot, but have you given some searches a try to see if used/replacement units are available out there? Sometimes if there are - they are either priced dumb or dirt cheap so buy multiples for spares.

Comment

Working...
                            X