DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Armory

The Armory The definitive firearms forum of DFW Mustangs.

Old 09-16-2020, 04:40 PM   #21
Chili
Joe Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Modena View Post
You bought a Mustang?!?
Yeah, I caught that too.. I didn't know you had a Mustang Jose!
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:30 PM   #22
juiceweezl
Lifer

I'm not the expert here, but Your house is conditioned space. I've taken a cartridge from a 20+ year old box of ammo that was stored in a locked cabinet, loaded into my 30.06 that hadn't been fired in almost 10 years, and hit the bull first shot. I've never had a failure from shotgun shells that old either.

That being said, I store some ammo in safe, some in a traditional gun cabinet, and some in a locked closet in either the box it arrived in or a cheap Plano ammo box. I throw a few of those bean bags to soak humidity in the general area I store in (closet, safe, etc.). I've never had a problem. Load...squeeze...BOOM!
juiceweezl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:05 AM   #23
Chili
Joe Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceweezl View Post
I'm not the expert here, but Your house is conditioned space.
It's in his 'basement', which from what it sounds like, is not 'conditioned'. Maybe you missed this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Thanks everybody for their response.

Metal filing cabinet would be a no. I'm not simply looking for a place to stash my ammo, but a way to store it where it's protected from humidity. I'm storing my ammo in my basement, and although it's not terribly humid, I've found a couple of loose cardboard boxes of really old ammo in my dads old gun cabinet (not a safe but pretty much an open wooden storage cabinet) that were rusting.

Probably wouldn't trust a cooler for that either as I'd want something with a sealing gasket. I think the Action Packer offers that but I think they are more expensive than the ammo cans. I do want to pick up some good size ones for some of my camping gear (electronics and my drone).

I'm going to look into the ammo cans at HF and Costco. It'll match with what I have, stackable, I know they are sealed, and should be fairly cheap. Thanks.
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:06 PM   #24
Jose
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Modena View Post
That's a nice alternative to an ice shest/cooler. Even though I use a small soft cooler when I go to the range, it makes it easier to carry my ammo to and from. This would be a better case and its lockable (or you can use a lock).

You bought a Mustang?!?

Pics...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Yeah, I caught that too.. I didn't know you had a Mustang Jose!
LOL! I bought Henry's GT a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceweezl View Post
I'm not the expert here, but Your house is conditioned space. I've taken a cartridge from a 20+ year old box of ammo that was stored in a locked cabinet, loaded into my 30.06 that hadn't been fired in almost 10 years, and hit the bull first shot. I've never had a failure from shotgun shells that old either.

That being said, I store some ammo in safe, some in a traditional gun cabinet, and some in a locked closet in either the box it arrived in or a cheap Plano ammo box. I throw a few of those bean bags to soak humidity in the general area I store in (closet, safe, etc.). I've never had a problem. Load...squeeze...BOOM!
What Craig was saying. Ammo and most of my firearms are stored in my basement which is not climate controlled. I've shot some shotgun shells I had that had some slight rush on it. But the point is that I want to make sure I don't have these issues. But I appreciate your input.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote