Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can anyone give me some guidance with my computer woes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can anyone give me some guidance with my computer woes?

I'm getting an error message when I try to connect to one website... Taxact.com on which I'm processing our returns. It has always worked fine in the past and I've made no changes in settings that could affect it that I'm aware of.

I've tried several different computers (all on the same network) and all seem to have the same problem while all can access other secure sites without issue.

The error message is: pr_connect_reset_error

I've tried different browsers, clearing cache & cookies, changing some options in Firefox (although I don't think it's a browser problem) , turning off firewalls, turning off blockers, and have reached my limits of knowledge.

Any suggestions or comments would be welcomed.

Thanks
    mardyn

Reset your router.

Comment

Tried that too... no luck.

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.taxact.com. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
      Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Learn more…

update: went over to a different network (at my in-laws home) and it worked perfectly... I'm just stupefied at this point.

mardyn
      Last edited by mardyn; 04-03-2020, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Are you sure you aren't using a firewall or trying to connect through a VPN? Maybe your router is running a filter?

Comment

I disabled the firewall in the router... made no difference, not using a VPN that I know of...

I've tried on my desk top machine, two lap tops and my ipad... all (on my network) get similar error messages for the Taxact site

The net work is the common denominator but I've changed no settings that I'm aware of, no luck figuring it out so far... and I'm already out of talent on my end.

other secure sites like banking/Credit card/brokerage accounts all load up and display fine.

mardyn

Comment

Got a different router you can try?
            WH

Comment

Contact your ISP, I suspect something with dns.

Comment

I do have another router, but it would be a pretty good task to change it over as this one functions as a bridged repeater.

Maybe the ISP could offer some insight on the problem, the other network I used today is from the same ISP and it worked fine over there.

I appreciate everybody's suggestions so far...

mardyn

Comment

Sorry man, network stuffs is my cryptonite.

Comment

Seems strange that only the Taxact site is problematic, everything else loads just fine.

mardyn

Comment

Open a command window and type ping taxact.com

Comment

Hmmm... I tried that and it seemed to "ping" quickly with no loss of packets.

What does that tell me?

OK here what i found:

Ping a URL (like www.howtogeek.com) or IP address to see if you can reach an internet destination. If you get a successful response, you know that all the networking devices between you and that destination are working, including the network adapter in your computer, your router, and whatever devices exist on the internet between your router and the destination. And if you’re interested in exploring those routes further, you can use another networking tool named tracert to do just that.

Comment

Humor me here, but disable your antivirus right quick and try to load taxact.com Lmk what happens.

Comment

Hmmm, I tired to disable AVG but not sure its really off... it doesn't have a stop option that i can find.

I ended it in Task Mgr but that didn't help anything.

mardyn

Comment

OK, I should have edited my post after thinking about it some more so forgive me please. If it were your av, it wouldn't be be network wide, unless you're running the same product on every device.

Try your cell phone on wifi, then mobile data. If it fails on both and you're using avg on it as well, that seems to me that it could be the common denominator. To verify, uninstall it from the phone and try again, if taxact.com loads, boo avg.

Comment

Working...
                              X