Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
    What is a X4?
    The BMW version of the Honda Crosstour. Obviously much more capable.

Comment

A guy I work with has an X4 and I have probably hauled a single car 10k miles this year, no way in hell would I do this.
      Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Originally posted by racrguy
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by noshine4mine View Post
        Saw a PSA when I was like 12-13 about this. If this ever happens to you, Accelerate out of it. You have to punch it. Pray you have enough power.
        My understanding is there is too much tongue weight for the towing vehicle and will cause what you describe.

Happened to me and my brother once, he thought we were going to wreck. I told him to punch it and we pulled out of it. (the car was definately to far up on the trailer for the vehicle we towed with.)

I've experienced trailer sway three times before and each time it was caused by not having enough tongue weight. I was also told to accelerate out of it, but it never seemed like a great idea to speed up when I thought I was going to crash!

The first two times it wasn't bad but I was definitely puckering when it happened. The last time it happened, it was sudden and very violent. The only thing that saved me was activating the electric trailer brakes with a brake controller. That straightened the trailer out immediately.

All three times were from doing favors for friends and pulling a trailer someone else loaded. After the last incident, I've became much more selective about doing those favors and how trailers are loaded.

Comment

One thing that's cool about the 2,200 lbs. Uhaul car hauler trailers is it forces you to pull the car up way up to the front in order to secure the tire straps and chains. I pulled a car back from Northwest Arkansas in a single cab Hemi Dodge Express. No trailer sway. The only thing I didn't like was the surge brakes. I couldn't use my trailer brake controller. However, still no problems. It was windy and cold and it worked like a champ. Tongue weight is key. People who experience trailer sway don't know how to load a trailer and also drive irresponsibly.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
            I've experienced trailer sway three times before and each time it was caused by not having enough tongue weight. I was also told to accelerate out of it, but it never seemed like a great idea to speed up when I thought I was going to crash!

The first two times it wasn't bad but I was definitely puckering when it happened. The last time it happened, it was sudden and very violent. The only thing that saved me was activating the electric trailer brakes with a brake controller. That straightened the trailer out immediately.

All three times were from doing favors for friends and pulling a trailer someone else loaded. After the last incident, I've became much more selective about doing those favors and how trailers are loaded.
            I've experienced it once and it was hauling 6 round bales of hay on an 18' flatbed, with 2 bales side by side a little further back and a little heavier than normal on the back. I stopped it before it got going too much.
            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Look up the tow ratings for that car in Germany. You may be surprised. I know vw gives their cars sold in the USA a low tow rating. The same car in Germany is much higher. Would I tow that much weight in a crossover? Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post

This!!!! I've experienced it once years ago. Someone else loaded a pallet on a trailer and asked me to tow it about 50 miles. I was fine in town, but once I got on the highway and got up to 55 or so, I thought the trailer was going to pass me on the side. The only way I didn't crash was to hit the e-brake and hit the gas just a bit. I was able to get it under control, pull over, and then bust the pallet open and redistribute the load...and take the back way home.

As someone else said, I'd worry more about stopping than towing. Just have it hauled.

Comment

If you were towing from Amarillo to DFW sure no problem. From California to DFW though? That's a bad idea. I didn't like driving a stock JKU without a trailer through those mountain roads. I can't imagine a lighter SUV and a trailer.

Comment

Thanks for the input all, the idea went from a remote possibility to a bad idea in a few posts, though I agree that a shorter haul wouldn't be a problem.

To be clear though, the X4 is essentially a restyled X3, so an SUV base, not a cross-over per-se. It's a relatively small SUV though, I give you that.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                      Thanks for the input all, the idea went from a remote possibility to a bad idea in a few posts, though I agree that a shorter haul wouldn't be a problem.
                      Well if you have to ask,...... Like a good lawyer you asked a question that you already know the answer to.

One of my neighbors has an X4. I've never ridden in one but I can't imagine towing a trailer with another vehicle in a car with such a short wheelbase, especially overloaded. Rent a truck / trailer of suitable size for the job or have it shipped. A family member to drive is an excellent idea also. Be safe out there and welcome back to Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                        Look up the tow ratings for that car in Germany. You may be surprised. I know vw gives their cars sold in the USA a low tow rating. The same car in Germany is much higher. Would I tow that much weight in a crossover? Nope.
                        So is it just the rating, or are the vehicles sold over here actually less capable? Maybe they just don't want to have to jump through certain hoops over here, so they just lower the rating and say don't do it. Even though its the exact same vehicle.
                        WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                          So is it just the rating, or are the vehicles sold over here actually less capable? Maybe they just don't want to have to jump through certain hoops over here, so they just lower the rating and say don't do it. Even though its the exact same vehicle.
                          One word answer - LAWYERS

Comment

Working...
                          X