• Show
Clear All

• Gun Safes

So I am slowly amassing what looks to be a small arsenal of firearms with:

1 Rifle
    3 ARs
    1 Carbine
    4 Pistols

and no doubt a few more to come. I have been looking into gun safes, and getting them slipped into a small closet I have. Anyone have any recommendations on safes or for getting them into a closet? I have done some measurements, but not sure how it might work and will all depend on the door hinge and swing out. If its internally hinged or externally, left or right hinge, etc.

Pandora's box in 3...2...1...

I have 2 safes. They are 4' or so wide by about 2' deep and 5' tall. They're not the super duper expensive ones, largely because my research showed a 10K dollar safe offered exactly the same warranty for the contents as a $500 one -- nothing. They only cover the damage to the safe. I also don't have any SVO valued firearms in mine. Here's what I ultimately used to make my decision.

1) Expensive safe or reasonable safe with money in my pocket (and ultimately more things in the safe)?

2) Size of safe based on where I wanted to install it and with room to grow.

3) Fire rating.

4) Flexible options inside (moveable shelves, door pegs or bag, etc.).

5) Ease of bolt down to foundation.

Whatever you do, make sure you bolt it down. All the videos I saw of people breaking into "cheap" safes showed them putting the safe on its back. Mine are bolted to the slab with 4 concrete anchors. I figure 99% of the people who would break into my house are going to try to get in it quickly in case it was unlocked. They may even try a few times at the combination. Then they may see if they can flip it over. When that fails, they'll move on to TV's and whatever jewelry is left -- if the dog hasn't shredded them yet or one of us hasn't introduced them to what's not in that safe...

Comment

Might help to provide the dimensions of the doorway of the closet.

Contrary to most people probably but I went with smaller safes (yes that's plural) in different areas of the house. One in my basement and another in a closest near the back of my house. Eventually I might get a "big" safe but for now the two smaller ones (I believe they are ten gun safes so kinda small) are working for me.

Looking forward to the discussion here. I'd also like to hear peoples opinions on mechanical versus electronic locks.

Comment

I like to pick up or buy used TL30 safes off of Craigslist and convert them to a gun safe. The quality is off the charts better then a normal gun safe but they are normally 2400 to 5000 pounds and are hard to move and people will give them away rather then try to move them themselves.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I saw some neat storage rods that might help cramped safes..

Comment

I have a safe if one of my closets. But it use to be the 4th bedroom. Buy a big one. I’m at 3 safes now, needing a 4th.

Comment

Whatever size safe you think you may need, double that shit or you’ll regret it ha!
              "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                Whatever size safe you think you may need, double that shit or you’ll regret it ha!
                that's the only real advice ever needed when safe shopping

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                  Bingo. Guns are like tattoos, they are addicting.

Comment

Sturdy and Amsec make decent ones. Anything that is TL rated is going to be heavy as hell. There is a place in Dallas that sells used one but do not remember the name. But they were a Amsec dealer.

Comment

Not sure about quality, maybe somebody else can chime in on these. But they seem like pretty good deals to me.

With a 30-minute fire rating and an electronic lock, your guns and valuables will be secure inside the Cannon Safe Force Series 64-Gun Safe. Behind the 12 gauge steel door is a top shelf, a gun rack and 2 adjustable side shelves to keep your gear organized.

$774.99 After $125 OFF $125 manufacturer's savings** is valid 11/6/17 through 12/17/17. While supplies last.
                      "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
                      http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
                      Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                      Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
                      http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
                      www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
                      sigpic

Comment

I have a Amsec bf6030 with 4ga inner liner. Weighs 1200lb. No complaints. The Platinum paint is better than my cars.
                        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

trying to convince the wife that having it in a guest bedroom is okay and wont look too ugly...this is going to be an uphill battle.

Comment

Fire Proof Gun Safes Heavy Gauge Steel Small Big Large UL Rated American Made Residential Safes Promote Gun Safety Protect Valuables Deliver & Install

He made us a great deal on our safe. Get big as you can, as it will fill up quick. You'll end up putting cash, gold, guns, family photos, ect in there

Comment

Another vote for wait till you can afford twice or thrice what you *think* you need now.

For the the guest bedroom, perhaps a nice velco'd on curtain would work. Well now I'm going to do this to mine.

Or put it in the garage. If you have a hammer drill or can borrow one just bolt it down yourself.
                              WRX

Comment

Working...
                              X