No announcement yet.

Reccomended flooring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every homeowner that I know with tile or laminate floors at the pool entry has had someone monumentally bust their ass when coming back inside. Even when you wipe down, there is still water running off your shorts. It doesn't take much.

Have you considered cork? It is an old material used for flooring and seems to be making a comeback. It is infinitely more interesting than box store travertine or laminate. You can stain it, it feels soft on your feet, you won't slip on it, and it's resilient to water.

Originally posted by Chili View Post
    This appears to have been the original flooring in the house (was under the carpet):

Yack!
    You replaced that cool, original linoleum with Home Depot fake wood?!
    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post

You replaced that cool, original linoleum with Home Depot fake wood?!
      It's ugly as shit.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I have tile leading in from the backyard pool area, and it has worked great long term. (11 years and counting) This is with a dog and two kids who come in and out a lot.

A towel usually ends up getting left at the entrance to the back door for wet feet. I also usually turn the AC down when we are in the pool and turn up the fans to help keep everything dry. Or just the fans up when we have people over.
        WRX

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
          I have tile leading in from the backyard pool area, and it has worked great long term. (11 years and counting) This is with a dog and two kids who come in and out a lot.
          Man, I have this memory etched in my mind of a kid coming in from my 8th birthday pool party. He took two steps in and flipped completely upside down and landed on his head. Please be careful.

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          It's ugly as shit.
          In the right environment, I think it could look pretty good.

*edit - I thought it was obvious I was just f'ing with Craig, but maybe it wasn't.

Last edited by 46Tbird; 07-08-2015, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
            Man, I have this memory etched in my mind of a kid coming in from my 8th birthday pool party. He took two steps in and flipped completely upside down and landed on his head. Please be careful
            I think with a towel or bath mat in place when you are out there would solve that.
            07 f250-family truckster
            08 Denali -baby hauler
            52 f1-rust bucket
            05 Jeep tj. Buggy
            livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
              I think with a towel or bath mat in place when you are out there would solve that.
              Yeah, but all it takes is one wet dog or one wet kid to make it a hazard. Just throwing it out there to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                Most of our baseboards were still original to the house (built in 1961), so we replaced all of the old stuff at the same time. They were also all the way to the concrete, with the carpet butted up against, so getting taller baseboards, and installing it over the floor, meant the walls did not have to be fixed.

I had previously replaced the baseboards in one room, but was able to gently remove and reuse those.

This appears to have been the original flooring in the house (was under the carpet):

Yack!

They left it because its full of asbestos!!
                2006 Civic SI
                2009 Pilot
                1988 GT
                CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

I had no idea that pimento loaf made a decent flooring.

Comment

So we're remodeling the kitchen. Start to do the floor it's covered in 5 layers of linoleum! Called a tester to see if the floor has asbestos and, of course, the bottom original layer does. He recommended instead of calling out the hazmat crew, to do the wet method of removal, since it's a relatively small area. Basically, spray it down with water as your removing the tile. That way, there's no dust.

So, we started down that path, but has anyone else done this?
                    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                      So we're remodeling the kitchen. Start to do the floor it's covered in 5 layers of linoleum! Called a tester to see if the floor has asbestos and, of course, the bottom original layer does. He recommended instead of calling out the hazmat crew, to do the wet method of removal, since it's a relatively small area. Basically, spray it down with water as your removing the tile. That way, there's no dust.

I might have. My house was built in 61 and was very old and dingy looking when I bought it, and remodeled. Protect yourself and have at it.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post

I looked into it after this thread and for the flooring, as long as you aren't cutting with saws and creating a lot of dust, supposedly it shouldn't be an issue. I also read a lot of reference to amount of exposure, and that pulling up one floor is very minimal exposure as opposed to people who dealt with the stuff every day.. Fortunately it wasn't in the whole house.

IDK.. I wasn't aware it might have asbestos when I did it.. Hopefully I don't get cancer.

Comment

Linoleum from back in the 60's was typically pretty high in asbestos content, often around 40%. It's bound up in the matrix though, and like Chili posted if you aren't aggressively sawing it and/or pulverizing it exposure is minimal. There's likely more exposure encountered walking downtown from the brake dust (thanks NAFTA) deposited at intersections and kicked up by the never-ending Texas wind.

Comment

Had to chisel off a bunch. Got the respirator and hope the plastic we have on the doorways to the house is good enough. I have dust but don't know if that just work dust, or the evil asbestos stuff. FFS, this blows.

Got a call in for an air sample, but he won't get here until Monday.

Comment

One item that's often overlooked in home renovations is the texture and/or tape & bedding compound once used on gypsum board. Sometimes it contains a relatively small amount of asbestos, around 2%, which isn't a lot but those materials are easily made airborne.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                                One item that's often overlooked in home renovations is the texture and/or tape & bedding compound once used on gypsum board. Sometimes it contains a relatively small amount of asbestos, around 2%, which isn't a lot but those materials are easily made airborne.
                                When we had the floor tested, he tested the popcorn ceiling and some corners on the walls. The floor was the only positive.

Comment

Working...
                                X