Towing for dummies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing for dummies...

So the X4 has a factory tow rating of 3,500 lbs, and the GT is around 3,800lbs, how unsafe would it be to tow the GT 1,700 miles, either on a dolly or full flatbed?

The trailer obviously adds quite a bit of weight, which is why I mention the dolly being a possible safer alternative. The plan has been to have one or both cars shipped, but I'm not opposed to saving a few grand, and enjoying a cross-country road trip.

I've also considered flying my brother out to drive the X4 for me, but I also don't want to put that 1,700 miles on the GT either. Nor do I look forward to two days of exhaust drone.

If there are not hills you should be ok if you get a larger trans cooler.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

It's got the N55 if that matters, not the NA 6-pot, and will remain stock. Might get a tune to bump the HP if the trip justifies it. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

A true baller/Stanger would sell both, and buy 2 new vehicles in Texas.

Comment

I witnessed a crash a few months ago where a camper had its way with an older f150. That trailer looked like a lion shaking a piece of meat as it went left and right then eventually rolled. I was on other side of hwy hoping that it didn’t decide to jump the safety wires and come into on coming traffic. It just starts as a lil wiggle but the trailer weighs more so it will win if it wants to.

Comment

you don't need to use a dolly unless your experienced!!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Crawfish View Post
              I witnessed a crash a few months ago where a camper had its way with an older f150. That trailer looked like a lion shaking a piece of meat as it went left and right then eventually rolled. I was on other side of hwy hoping that it didn’t decide to jump the safety wires and come into on coming traffic. It just starts as a lil wiggle but the trailer weighs more so it will win if it wants to.
              This is the feed back I need to hear. So the X4 weighs in at 4200 lbs, so about the same, maybe slightly more, as the car and dolly. That said, still a bad idea?

Comment

I’ve towed some sketchy loads with small trucks before. It’s not something I care to do again. Like a 64 impala on a cargo trailer using a 4cyl 5speed ranger. It did the job. But my balls were easily puckered up into my ass
                07 f250-family truckster
                08 Denali -baby hauler
                52 f1-rust bucket
                05 Jeep tj. Buggy
                livin the double-wide dream

Comment

I’ve towed some sketchy loads with small trucks before. It’s not something I care to do again. Like a 64 impala on a cargo trailer using a 4cyl 5speed ranger. It did the job. But my balls were easily puckered up into my ass
                  07 f250-family truckster
                  08 Denali -baby hauler
                  52 f1-rust bucket
                  05 Jeep tj. Buggy
                  livin the double-wide dream

Comment

sounds like you already know it's a bad idea
                    part of the rating is braking, think of the liability over towing puts you in

Comment

I think you will be ok if your careful keep distance etc. just keep safety in mind. Getting there safe instead of fast is always my goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Crawfish View Post
                        Saw a PSA when I was like 12-13 about this. If this ever happens to you, Accelerate out of it. You have to punch it. Pray you have enough power.
                        My understanding is there is too much tongue weight for the towing vehicle and will cause what you describe.

Happened to me and my brother once, he thought we were going to wreck. I told him to punch it and we pulled out of it. (the car was definately to far up on the trailer for the vehicle we towed with.)

Comment

Mount gopros front to rear to catch every angle of the crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                            This is the feed back I need to hear. So the X4 weighs in at 4200 lbs, so about the same, maybe slightly more, as the car and dolly. That said, still a bad idea?

Risk vs reward. You have the money so it's a no brainer.

Even with my explorer...towing just shy of 5K didn't feel safe for 30 miles. Id never want to do CA to TX.

Comment

What is a X4?
                              1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

Working...
                              X