Britain attempts to reduce welfare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britain attempts to reduce welfare

Britain's government says unemployed people who refuse to go back to work will have their benefits cut off for up to three years under sweeping reforms to the welfare system.

Prime Minister David Cameron says those who "persistently reject work" should lose their 65 pounds ($105) weekly welfare payment.

The government is unveiling plans Thursday to cut 8 billion pounds ($29 billion) from Britain's welfare bill.

Officials say they will simplify the complex system, replacing a patchwork of benefits with a single payment, and may make some jobless do community work such as street cleaning in return for their welfare check.

Britain, a nation of over 60 million people, has about 5 million on unemployment benefits, including about 1.4 million who have drawn welfare for a decade.

Good for him.

Comment

It's a wonder it took so long. Hopefully it will spread to here.

Comment

I'm all for returning to pre New Deal no govt assistance. If people fell on hard times their family or their church helped them out until they could get back on their feet.
        A quote from the great Ben Franklin:
        I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
        But if we stopped welfare, what would happen to the Democratic voting base?
        Last edited by Kimmypie; 11-14-2010, 12:42 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

I think some provisions should be made for poor folks (scholarships, some limited medical care, etc), but how you choose to live is just that, your choice. Is it an asswhip and a mindfuck to make real changes sometimes? Sure, but none of that stops you from doing so.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I think you should have to take a pee pee test for any sort of govenment assistance. I mean, we have to take them to get a job, why shouldn't you have to take one for a handout?

Good for them.

Comment

Great Britain has a problem with immigrants who do not want to assimilate into society. I read somewhere the most common boys name for newborns is Mohammed. Glad we don't have that problem here.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX
                I think you should have to take a pee pee test for any sort of govenment assistance. I mean, we have to take them to get a job, why shouldn't you have to take one for a handout?

Good for them.
                I'm down with that sickness. At one time I thought women on welfare should be on birth control, too.
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale
                  I think some provisions should be made for poor folks (scholarships, some limited medical care, etc), but how you choose to live is just that, your choice. Is it an asswhip and a mindfuck to make real changes sometimes? Sure, but none of that stops you from doing so.
                  That can be handled by private charity. I mean governmentally supplied welfare.
                  Scholarships can be set up by individuals and doctors can volunteer their time/resources to help the poor...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stinginstang
                    Great Britain has a problem with immigrants who do not want to assimilate into society. I read somewhere the most common boys name for newborns is Mohammed. Glad we don't have that problem here.
                    GB has been stupid enough to allow for Sharia Law to be recognized, as have many of the other Eastern European countries. That's why they are being over run by the Islamic people.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UserX

Good for them.
                      Even as an avid proponent of the freedom to use marijuana, I couldn't agree more. I don't care what your drug of choice is (alcohol, weed, coke, etc.), if you're living off your fellow citizens' dime then you need to be clean and attempting to be productive.

Comment

I am ready for this to happen not today but yesterday.
                        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                          I'm down with that sickness. At one time I thought women on welfare should be on birth control, too.
                          "At one time..." ? What changed your mind? Personally, I think the poor should be chemically sterilized. Otherwise they breed like cockroaches....or mexicans.

It's time to cull the heard. There are too many people getting "sumthin' for nuthin'..."

Fuck em!

Comment

Good for the UK. We could follow their example on this one.
                            Originally posted by lincolnboy
                            After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

nice if only someone in the US would consider this.

Comment

Working...
                              X