New tire time for the jeep...input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
    Look into the 315's. They just had a sale on the bfg for dirt cheap.
    Only the load range "C" tire, part # 58424. They are selling like crazy though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
      I have had a couple of sets of BFG AT's and honestly haven't been really pleased with them. They were fine offroad, and mostly good on-road but it didn't seem to take long for them to get really hard, especially in the cold, and that resulted in really shitty traction on the street. Especially when wet. That said, I don't believe they were the KO2's, so that may have made a difference. That was my only real complaint though, and they did wear really slowly.. I have been considering them for the Jeep but am still uncertain on what route I am going to take. Still really considering buying some take-off factory wheels and tires to run on the street. I often see a full set of 5 with less than 1k miles for around $400.. That's also what I will pay for one 35x12.50x17..
      The KO2 is an upgraded/updated design that is relatively new. I *think* the originals are still available. With the KO2s I never had traction issues on or off-road. I can't speak to the originals, never had a set. Go read the reviews though. TireRack has them rated as the best all terrain tire last I checked.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
        Only the load range "C" tire, part # 58424. They are selling like crazy though.
        Thanks. Didnt know they made 2 diff ones in that size.
        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          Matt is big on the Toyo Open Country A/T, but I just can't drop that kind of money on a tire that looks no different than a normal street tire. The valleys between tread is narrow, no side lugs on the tires, etc. I don't see how they could possibly perform in mud.

I'm a big fan of the BFG A/T KO2. Had a set on my last truck and putting another set on this truck when it's time. I had 50k on my last set and there was PLENTY tread left. They had 20-30k miles left easily. Just rotate rotate rotate.

IIRC, Matt said Toyo is the only one with a 60k mile warranty, which I believe is correct. I'd still run the BFG though, I know they last just as long if not longer when you take care of them.
          I see a lot of folks come up here with all terrains that are like you describe - they barely look better than highway tires, and don't perform worth a shit. I find myself often asking "Those are supposed to be all terrains?". The Toyo Open Country all terrains we have on the 4Runner are much more aggressive, and perform wonderfully. I'm not sure what you're looking at, but these things look quite aggressive in person. I haven't gotten them stuck yet, and have even used this thing to pull others out of my driveway in the snow.

EDIT: Just went out and looked. They are the Open Country AT2s. They actually do have tread that come down over the shoulder and onto the sidewall. Nothing crazy like a mud tire, but still enough to help. And I can stick my fat fingers easily into the gaps in the main tread. You may have these confused with another tire. I'll post a pic in a minute.
          Last edited by jluv; 07-27-2017, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
            I see a lot of folks come up here with all terrains that are like you describe - they barely look better than highway tires, and don't perform worth a shit. I find myself often asking "Those are supposed to be all terrains?". The Toyo Open Country all terrains we have on the 4Runner are much more aggressive, and perform wonderfully. I'm not sure what you're looking at, but these things look quite aggressive in person. I haven't gotten them stuck yet, and have even used this thing to pull others out of my driveway in the snow.
            Toyo vs BFG
            Last edited by bcoop; 02-05-2020, 03:27 PM.

Comment

BFG. I've exceeded my limit so here's a link.

Comment

There are no lugs on the sidewall, whatsoever on the Toyo. I see them as no difference between them and a street tire.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                  There are no lugs on the sidewall, whatsoever on the Toyo. I see them as no difference between them and a street tire.
                  Yes, there are. Not big ones, but definitely enough edge to help grab. You'd have to see them in person. That small stock pic may be an old one, or it may just be tough to tell in the pic itself, but I'll post one in a minute.

They don't look as aggressive as the BFGs, but you're crazy if you think they look like a street tire. Like I said, they are much more aggressive than a lot of the "all terrains" I see up here. My buddy has a brand new F150 FX4, and the all terrains that came on it suck. He got stuck bad in a little snow in my driveway a few months back, and then just this past weekend, he was spinning like crazy in my driveway, dry as a bone. I don't know what tire they were, just that they were supposed to be all terrains.

Comment

Ah, it worked!

Like I said, I can fit my fingers all the way down between the treads. And you know I have giant hot dog fingers.

Notice the ridges coming down the shoulder and onto the sidewall. Not huge lugs or anything like a mud tire, but there is a definite edge on each of them, enough to grab and serve the purpose.

These definitely don't look nuthin' like a street tire, man!

At the end of the day, I know from experience how good they are in tough terrain. I have abused them many times over on very rough trails with mud, snow, and sharp, loose rocks, and haven't ever had an issue. They also do great on the street - quiet and smooth. It's yet to be seen how many miles they will go, but they are wearing well so far, even with the abuse I put them through. It's really a fantastic tire. The only other new set of all terrains we have had on this vehicle were the Nitto Terra Grapplers, and this is a far superior tire, in my opinion.
                    Last edited by jluv; 09-28-2017, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I believe we have decided on the Toyo's. WIll post pics once installed.

Comment

You won't be disappointed!

Comment

These definitely don't look nuthin' like a street tire, man!
                          They do to me, but I'very been running mud tires on the Jeep and the suburban for some time and am used to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                            They do to me, but I'very been running mud tires on the Jeep and the suburban for some time and am used to them.
                            Ya, they certainly don't look like a mud tire, either.

I've just been seeing a lot of all terrains lately that DO look like street tires. Nothing like these Toyos. Seems like a lot of new 4x4 vehicles come with crap from the factory.

Comment

Seems like a lot of new 4x4 vehicles come with crap from the factory.
                              They definitely do. Goodyear all terrains are a popular OEM tire and they are complete shit.

Comment

Working...
                              X