Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Semi Auto Shotguns? Beretta 1301 Tactical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like those shockwaves and similar shottys but what are they being used for? Cool looks or big truck guns? I am thinking of getting one but cant find a practical reason to actually get it.

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
      I like those shockwaves and similar shottys but what are they being used for? Cool looks or big truck guns? I am thinking of getting one but cant find a practical reason to actually get it.
      There is no practical reason to own the shockwave with a detachable magazine, but I know I want me one.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
        Sweet man! Glad you like it. Here's that shroud, in case you need it.

http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/bere...d-kit/eu00074/
        I need that. I still dont see why they thought the unloader attached to the bolt-release was a good move.

Comment

Wasn't sure where to post this but figured this was as good as a place as any.

Just got back from a shotgun class taught by Tom Givens. Although my "shooting" of a shotgun didn't really improve (I seemed to be a pretty good shot compared to some of the others in my class, maybe it was my shotgun), what I did learn was how to "feed the beast" quickly and under a little pressure as well as clearing malfunctions (I didn't have any that weren't manufactured for training). Also learned a lot about patterning (like the difference between how an 8 and 9 pellet 00 buckshot load patterns i.e. 9'th pellet tends to be a flyer) and how different shotgun loads pattern in my 1301 as well as how the same load patterns differently between different shotguns (even the same model). Anyone who loads birdshot for defensive purposes is an idiot for anything other than pretty much a contact shot.

Needless to say, I learned a lot about shotguns that I wouldn't have otherwise picked up shooting it a lot at the range. Most ranges I go to won't let you shot a shotgun and those that do won't let you do what we did in the class.

We went through roughly 250 shells of birdshot and 50 of buckshot. Who would have thought that birdshot would hurt? But after 250 shells I was getting pretty sore not to mention the buckshot. The Beretta 1301 ran like a champ. I actually saw a Mossberg 930 fail on the first or second shot and the instructor handed her his personal 1301. I think out of 18 of us, only 2 (besides the instructors) were running Beretta's, with maybe 4 or 5 running 930's and the rest running pumps with the majority being 870's.

The middle of these targets is mine, with the one on the right was shot by a female with an 870 and the one on the left by a male with an 870.

Look at the headshot for an example of a 9 pellet load. Almost all are in the head area with the 9'th in the neck and this was at a fairly close distance (although I can't remember it). Several examples were given of the stray pellet striking an unintended victim near the target and killing them.

The firing line was cleaned up a couple of times during the day.

Wish I would have taken more pictures and at least some video, but I was by myself and once w got out to the range, things go pretty busy.

I think anyone who keeps a shotgun for home defensive purposes should take a class like this to learn how to handle it and learn what it is capable of. Now I have to buy a few different loads of buckshot to see what works best for me (8 pellet Federal FliteControl comes highly recommended).

Comment

Oh another lesson learned in this class, an auto shotgun is not necessarily the fastest. It really comes down to the shooter and experience. Saw a couple of pump shotguns that were damn quick and when we were running drills, two of the semi autos were consistently last (although they were both with female shooters ).

Comment

The federal flite control ammo doesn't like wind at all but it is hands-down my favorite buckshot load.

I have an old Winchester Model 12 Riot shotgun that I can shoot faster then any semi-auto I have ever picked up.

That class sounds like a bunch of fun. Do you know when the next one is being held?
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I screwed up the round count, it was 150 rounds of birdshot and 50 buckshot. I was a little sore yesterday but better today.

Unfortunately it only looks like Tom only does this class once a year in Texas. He's got a pistol class going on this weekend and another later in the year that I might sign up for. I would do another another shotgun class, even this one.

Comment

Damn. that sounds fun. how much was the fee to take the class?

Comment

I put a new buttpad on my 1301 and it really helped.

Comment

I love my Mossberg 930SPX, I don't know if they did any internal work to set it apart from the normal 930, but I've only had one issue with it during a 3 gun tournament and it was the shotgun shell and not the gun (light primer strike).

I basically cannot use Winchester shells, I have use Federal, and it runs like butter.

Any idea what ammo the mossy was using?

Comment

I'm not an expert, but a light primer strike doesn't sound like it's the ammo's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                          I'm not an expert, but a light primer strike doesn't sound like it's the ammo's fault.
                          Lol yeah
                          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                            I love my Mossberg 930SPX, I don't know if they did any internal work to set it apart from the normal 930, but I've only had one issue with it during a 3 gun tournament and it was the shotgun shell and not the gun (light primer strike).

I basically cannot use Winchester shells, I have use Federal, and it runs like butter.

Any idea what ammo the mossy was using?
                            Probably because Mossberg is the worst shotgun you could ever buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                              Probably because Mossberg is the worst shotgun you could ever buy.
                              What's the best?
                              WH

Comment

I own Benelli, Beretta, Mossberg, Remington, and Winchester shotguns in pumps or semi autos as well as some in over/under or side/side. I 100% agree that certain beasts chew through certain ammo better than others. Sometimes you can disassemble a semi-auto and a thorough cleaning will solve problems, but certain guns just do not like some loads no matter what.

Comment

Working...
                                X