Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to add a hole to a stainless sink. Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to add a hole to a stainless sink. Tips?

I know a standard hole saw wont do it and a knock out punch would be perfect but I am not going to buy a knock out punch kit to make one hole one time. And I am having a hard time finding anyone that has a kit I can borrow.

Anyone have a kit to loan? Anyone had any luck with any stepped drill bits drilling stainless?

Main thing is, I am adding this hole to put in a faucet I bought with a sprayer. I got the faucet at an over stock website for $50 and I don't want to spend that much just to add the damn sprayer. So a cheap idea is what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.
    sigpic
    00 Camaro SS, stuff, tuned by Sam - sold
    2004 GMC Sierra, tuned by Sam
    03 CR250R crash test dummy vehicle
    08 Yard machines mower, choppin up those blades

Originally posted by Stephen
    FUCK!! im gay then

why wouldnt a hole saw do it?
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

They make bi-metal hole saws for this very purpose, you can get a kit, or just buy the size that you need.

Comment

That ss is not very thick, a stepped bit or hole saw should work.. then just deburr it well.

Comment

Put masking tape on it and drill through with a hole saw like big a posted.

Comment

How big a hole ya need?
            Rich

Comment

Just be careful if you use the hole saw method - stainless is very prone to work hardening. If you try to cut it too fast (RPM), you will burn up the saw, and see what work hardening is all about.

spin the hole saw slower than you'd normally do it, and use some cutting oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                why wouldnt a hole saw do it?
                Never seen one that would work on metal as hard as stainless, well without burning it all to hell. I read carbide hole saws work great but they are very expensive and I just plan on using this one time in my life.

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                They make bi-metal hole saws for this very purpose, you can get a kit, or just buy the size that you need.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...gry=Search+All
                Thanks for the tip, I'll look into those. Edit: I looked at them, don't have much faith, but the price is right.

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
                That ss is not very thick, a stepped bit or hole saw should work.. then just deburr it well.
                Good point

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                Put masking tape on it and drill through with a hole saw like big a posted.
                Werd

Originally posted by TexasT View Post
                How big a hole ya need?
                Looks like 7/8" will do 'er. 1" probably be just fine as well.

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
                Just be careful if you use the hole saw method - stainless is very prone to work hardening. If you try to cut it too fast (RPM), you will burn up the saw, and see what work hardening is all about.

spin the hole saw slower than you'd normally do it, and use some cutting oil.
                ^^^This is why I had posted that I didn't think a hole saw would work. I figured the stainless would eat up the cutting teeth on it before it got through anyway. I am familiar with slow drilling though, I have some Matco bits that are slow speed bits.. I can't count how many bits I burnt up when I was younger because neither me or anyone around me knew that you weren't supposed to spin them 800000000 RPM's to cut. It was a come to jesus moment the first time I turned a bit slow and saw it pour metal out like butter.
                Last edited by 00pooterSS; 06-18-2013, 10:52 AM.
                sigpic

FUCK!! im gay then

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll try my luck with a hole saw and just go slow and steady. That's if I can't find a knockout punch somewhere. I still have a couple of phone calls to make in the hunt for one.
                  Last edited by 00pooterSS; 06-18-2013, 02:47 PM.
                  sigpic

FUCK!! im gay then

Comment

Originally posted by 00pooterSS View Post

Never seen one that would work on metal as hard as stainless, well without burning it all to hell. I read carbide hole saws work great but they are very expensive and I just plan on using this one time in my life.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into those. Edit: I looked at them, don't have much faith, but the price is right.

Good point

Werd

Looks like 7/8" will do 'er. 1" probably be just fine as well.

^^^This is why I had posted that I didn't think a hole saw would work. I figured the stainless would eat up the cutting teeth on it before it got through anyway. I am familiar with slow drilling though, I have some Matco bits that are slow speed bits.. I can't count how many bits I burnt up when I was younger because neither me or anyone around me knew that you weren't supposed to spin them 800000000 RPM's to cut. It was a come to jesus moment the first time I turned a bit slow and saw it pour metal out like butter.
                    I have about 40 hole saws that we use for various tasks, and all of them have been through stainless at one time or other. For some of them, it's all they've ever done. Proper speed will make them last nearly as long as regular steel.

Comment

Perfect!! Thank you (and everyone), hole saw it is.
                      sigpic

FUCK!! im gay then

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...gry=Search+All
                        Just so you guys know - The Milwaukee Bi-metal hole saw worked great. Slow and easy was the trick like Brooks said. I now have a 5 hole sink on 4 inch centers. Looks like it was bought that way.

Thanks again.
                        sigpic

FUCK!! im gay then

Comment

Brooks spoke it like a true machinist! Anytime you work with stainless, decrease the speed and pressure (shouldn't use a lot of pressure in any application) to prevent the surface from heating and hardening. The stainless will harden to a level equal to the tool being used and the tool will no longer cut into it. The reason I say use less pressure is because people tend to press harder when they decrease speed but the added pressure also increases friction and heat, causing the work hardening to take place again. Just requires patience. Glad you got it done Pooter!

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0Thunder View Post
                            Brooks spoke it like a true machinist! Anytime you work with stainless, decrease the speed and pressure (shouldn't use a lot of pressure in any application) to prevent the surface from heating and hardening. The stainless will harden to a level equal to the tool being used and the tool will no longer cut into it. The reason I say use less pressure is because people tend to press harder when they decrease speed but the added pressure also increases friction and heat, causing the work hardening to take place again. Just requires patience. Glad you got it done Pooter!
                            sigpic

FUCK!! im gay then

Comment

Glad it worked out!

Comment

Working...
                              X