DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Back Porch

The Back Porch General Discussions for topics that don't belong in other forums.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #21
scootro
Lifer

scootro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #22
scootro
Lifer

scootro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:18 AM   #23
lowthreeohz
comment removed

we stay prepped. ammo, food, freezer full of red meat, couple extra boxes of fever reducer, couple gallons of bleach, etc.. but nothing major. I'm preparing for what could be a short hiatus in everyday life but not expecting a pandemic. could be wrong, but I'm hedging a bet that this is overblown and will pass in short order.

but, I'm on a plane right now and have 4 more flights next week. so I may very well end up being a vector if I'm wrong lol
lowthreeohz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:20 AM   #24
Captain Crawfish
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
People really think like this?
The smart ones think outside the box. I suggest you start
Captain Crawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #25
kingjason
Notorious PIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
Just for the record - I assume you meant "preppers" - those were not preppers. Preppers are prepared or close to it. e.g. "Just in case" for this virus, it's a matter of topping off or just restocking a few things, but generally be okay without doing that as well. Preppers don't run the shelves empty at the last minute as that defeats the purposing of preparing for X time without food/water/fuel...etc being available for purchase.
I should of said "preppers". Yes you are correct.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:58 PM   #26
BP
infidel

I bought some extra canned goods, not on purpose though. I only have about 10 gallons of beer left right now though so I should probably make some more.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:21 PM   #27
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crawfish View Post
Yeah because all the idiots yanking bottled water off the shelves are the smart ones...I cant believe you seriously think that following all the other morons makes you an outside the box thinker...
Ruffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:50 PM   #28
cool cat
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
I only have about 10 gallons of beer left right now though so I should probably make some more.
How much to fill my keg?
cool cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:58 PM   #29
AnthonyS
Lifer

Dr. Drew is understating this. I don’t trust the US gov’t, and I sure as heck don’t believe China or Iran. Yes there are mild cases. Currently medicine has ID’d two strains of this thing. It’s a virus there will be more strains. Based on an incubation period of 14-28 days, this thing has not maxed out in Wuhan China even. (Jan 22nd to today is 6 weeks and a day) Seattle was hit this week. You can start you 10-20 week countdown in Seattle now. This thing is uncontained. It cannot be contained at this point. People you know will get it. Sadly someone you know will probably die from this. Best case you get a weaker form, stay home, and build your immunities to it. When it hits DFW its going to be 10-20 weeks of hell here too.

This is not a world ending event though. A 2-3% mortality rate won’t cause all goods and services to stop. It’s going to impede, interfere, and slow things down. It’s going to make 2020 a very bad year all around. Get prepared as best you can. Don’t go shrine licking in Iran.

All major metropolitan areas will see this virus. There are some dudes in backwoods Alaska that have bigger worries and won’t get it. If you live in DFW, get ready. It’s coming.
AnthonyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #30
bcoop
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crawfish View Post
Says the blind sheep/mindless lemming...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.
bcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:17 PM   #31
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

To answer what im doing about this, I transferred some higher risk investments into more stable funds. May be an overreaction...but in starting to see a lot of industries impacted. Especially consumer electronics and travel.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #32
BP
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool cat View Post
How much to fill my keg?
It varies by the beer but honestly it's not worth the risk or effort to try and sell anything. If you were curious about costs though the cheapest beer I can make is a saison and it works out to a round $25 for a 1/6 barrel keg (5.25 gallons). The most expensive one is around 4x that in ingredients but is nearly 10x the effort.

The funny part about beer though is a quality saison like Saison Dupont costs just as much as a big barrel aged stout at the store or bar but didn't cost anywhere near as much to produce or package. Now granted a production brewery could use the malt from the stout again in another beer and recoup some of the difference but it's still a lot more expensive than it would be for the saison.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:20 PM   #33
Broncojohnny
Lifer

I'm loving this, I have made at least $50k in the stock market already.

As for buying the food or whatever, it is all bullshit. This thing is already a pandemic just like the Spanish Flu. The death rate is around 3% and it doesn't really affect kids. It is hardly anything to be worried about because if it does kill 3% of the population it will do it in very slow motion, to the point where it is not disruptive to the economy. The over reaction of people will be more disruptive than this virus will, with all the school and store closings and all that shit.

I booked a great cruise for my in laws in May. Now is a great time to travel because the sheeple aren't going anywhere. They are in their 60s though so I did buy insurance in case they get nervous and want to back out. I'm going even if it is a zombie apocalypse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racrguy View Post
Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Last edited by Broncojohnny; 03-05-2020 at 04:35 PM.
Broncojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:44 PM   #34
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Over reactions are exactly what will kill the market...you know emotions run that shit show.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:40 PM   #35
Craizie
Not very WOKE
VIP Member

Quote:
Over reactions are exactly what will kill the market...you know emotions run that shit show.
I've had to cancel several trade show shipments because of this stupid shit.

Lots going to HIMSS - where Trump was supposed to speak as well.
Craizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:01 PM   #36
Broncojohnny
Lifer

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for washing hands all the time and pushing elevator buttons with my elbows and shit. This stuff is highly contagious and there is no reason to get it if you can take simple precautions.

On the other hand, my wife was at Sam's today and they had no toilet paper. Completely sold out. This is for a flu that resembles pneumonia. Fucking retards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racrguy View Post
Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.
Broncojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:23 PM   #37
bcoop
Lifer

Quote:
To answer what im doing about this, I transferred some higher risk investments into more stable funds. May be an overreaction...but in starting to see a lot of industries impacted. Especially consumer electronics and travel.
My industry has been affected. Production delays, etc. Parts coming from China havenít been, so itís slowing things down.

In my new venture Iím trying to capitalize on the market swings and gain some new investors looking to diversify in to something more stable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.
bcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:33 PM   #38
Gasser64
Lifer

Yeah apparently kids don't really get it, people under (about) 40 get common cold-like symptoms, people older than that get varying degrees of flu like symptoms. The elderly are the ones who are the main risk. They can get very bad flu symptoms and die from it.

Actually that sounds about right for china. Get rid of those old drains on the commie system. lol

But the way things are going, I really don't see any containment working. It's always some new report of "oh now it's here too" and it lives on surfaces for a long time. You're also a contagious asymptomatic incubator for a long time. So while I won't be buying up all the toilet paper and bottled water, I know there's people in my neighborhood that are gonna get it. And some people here know some older people that are going to die of it.

Last edited by Gasser64; 03-05-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Gasser64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:52 PM   #39
Captain Crawfish
Lifer

Quote:
Yeah because all the idiots yanking bottled water off the shelves are the smart ones...I cant believe you seriously think that following all the other morons makes you an outside the box thinker...
I really donít care what you believe. Nothing wrong with keeping some extra water on hand. If that makes someone a moron oh well.
Captain Crawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:53 PM   #40
AnthonyS
Lifer

My wife is in the hotel business. I will be buying hotel and airline stocks, probably in the fall. They will get hit really hard. People will use this as an excuse to inflate and pound the markets all year. It’s going to be an economic shit show until after the election. October should be a good time to get on the Trump choo choo market train.

Kids do have amazing immune systems and old folks don’t.
AnthonyS is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
freedom>tyranny, nay injected into dik, nay sez god i need cock, nay sez i'll keep sucking, nay suck 2 diks @ once, somebodydrain nays testes, spurt cure into naysmouth, svo #1 virus spreader!, svojizz=cure, when naynig season start?