Bought a '71 Hemi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a '71 Hemi

It's a 1971 Honda Trail 90. Bought it for myself as a 21st birthday present, and it'll make for a nice little daily for my mile trip to campus and back while I'm in grad school and hopefully help extend the life of my GT, at least until I finish grad school and work for a few months.

Picked it up around noon and spent the last 5 hours trying to get it to start and idle. Got it to start intermittently, but then it wouldn't idle without the choke engaged and the altitude adjustment pulled all of the way out. Eventually played with the mixture and idle screws and got it to run and idle fine, at which point I discovered that the bike would not engage neutral.

After a lot of cursing, push starting, and sweating, I got the bike to run and move under its own power when I discovered the issue: the bike shifts opposite to the way in which it was designed to shift from the factory. Factory is all of the way down on the front lever for neutral and the toed-up/heeled-back to upshift and toed-down to downshift. Somehow, and I have no clue how, this bike is completely backwards: heel back for neutral, toe down for upshifts. It works for now, but that'll be first on my list to fix. Anyone have any ideas?

Anyway, here's a quick picture, I'll snap better ones later tonight after dinner:

Paint is okay, except on the front fender. Saddle plastics are broken and will be replaced, as will the seat. All of the electronics work, aside from the Neutral light.
    Last edited by Slowhand; 08-14-2011, 09:45 PM.

badass...now shave your head and grow a goatee!

Comment

Awe man I was expecting to see a mopar lol!

Congrats though that's sweet

Comment

Me too...

Comment

The older models shifted that way, no problems.

Comment

Grad school... you're on the (somewhat) standard, 5 year, Masters of Accounting path?
            Originally posted by davbrucas
            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by tgrper View Post
              The older models shifted that way, no problems.
              Cool, was not aware but that works well enough for me. Still struggling to start and idle with consistency, but I'm going to tear apart and clean the carb and set the points later this week so hopefully that'll take care of the issue.

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
              Grad school... you're on the (somewhat) standard, 5 year, Masters of Accounting path?
              That's the one. Doing MTax, but it's the same as MAcc. Taking one grad school (management) course this semester because I didn't have any undergrad classes left to take, but I'll start in earnest with a mini-mester in January and my internship from Feb-April/May.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                Cool, was not aware but that works well enough for me. Still struggling to start and idle with consistency, but I'm going to tear apart and clean the carb and set the points later this week so hopefully that'll take care of the issue.

That's the one. Doing MTax, but it's the same as MAcc. Taking one grad school (management) course this semester because I didn't have any undergrad classes left to take, but I'll start in earnest with a mini-mester in January and my internship from Feb-April/May.
                Where are you studying?

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
                  Where are you studying?
                  Baylor.

Comment

Working...
                  X