Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, I thought it was a V6 model.

Reading>me

Set one to TDC which is easy as its on the keyd crank pulley and line the cam gears up and go. Get the really good and thick Felpro gasket. Yeah you lose a tad of compression but if the decks arnt perfect it will still seal. Buy new head bolts.
    Run a GOOD filter and break in oil for a couple hundred miles and then switch to whatever brand oil you like.
    Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

• Laser, can your shop take care of the scratches on my rental car?

Comment

• Call up Brazos Valley Auto Concepts. 254-420-4314 He does all the dealers in town. He will do the several dozen rock chips on my Audi for $60.
        Tell him L&D Auto sent ya.
        Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

• Was there a glitch in the matrix just now?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
          Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Comment

• Isn't it great when your daughter takes her car in for an oil change and the techs are too concerned about the upsell then doing their job?

Made sure to meet the car at the shop, only to find this...torque spec 0.0 n-M for 2.5l VW?

Time to go rounds now...no metal in filter when they filled it up, but now its sporatically running rough and CEL came on and wont go off..
            Originally posted by Sgt Beavis
            I don't always like lowered trucks, but when I do, it's because they really kick ass..

Comment

• Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
              Hell maybe I'll try to do it myself. Its a little intimidating to me, because I'm only a mid level mechanic most of the time. I like to turn my own wrenches as a hobby, and obviously as a member of this site, I'm an automobile enthusiast.

But I've never set the timing on an overhead cam engine (its the 4 cylinder 2.5). But, there are little markers on the gears and the timing chain has little yellow links to line it up with, so how hard can it be. Might give it a shot. Save her a pretty penny if I could pull it off. As for the bolts, they're all in bags and labeled. So I've got that going for me at least.
              Couldn't be any harder than when you built your non-existent wooden weight rack.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                I got my truck back from Ford on the AC issue. I have never had a dealership tell me that it's not worth fixing. Evidently the AC compressor exploded and shredded everything in the system. They said "We can fix it of course but to be honest, it wouldn't be worth it to you."

They fixed the power steering leak, told me the engine tapping was a lifter and not to worry and told me about the compressor saying I'd need that to start as well as pretty much everything else. Total cost? $140 plus tax. That was the diagnostic fees.

So basically they charged you $140 to pop the hood, if they even did that much. Not to sound negative but they had your truck for one week and then said exactly what I told you they would say about the ac system, and they probably just cut the leaking reservoir line an inch or two shorter to get rid of the leak around the clamp.

I'm probably just being rude because I wish I could charge $140 to pop the hood on your truck and look at it for five minutes

Comment

• Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
                  Oh, I thought it was a V6 model.

Reading>me

Set one to TDC which is easy as its on the keyd crank pulley and line the cam gears up and go. Get the really good and thick Felpro gasket. Yeah you lose a tad of compression but if the decks arnt perfect it will still seal. Buy new head bolts.
                  Run a GOOD filter and break in oil for a couple hundred miles and then switch to whatever brand oil you like.
                  Well last night I figured I'd give it a go. Why not. Worst that can happen is it still doesn't run. The head was already on the car, and he used DNJ brand... I think. He told me about a box of gaskets to use that were in the trunk. They came in a thin cardboard box with "DNJ" on it. I just have to install the cams and set the timing, put on the oil pan and oil pump, and put on the exhaust manifold and cat back. Then of course the valve cover gasket, alternator, and AC compressor. He didn't crack open the AC anywhere, so it should still work.

Started on it last night, going to work on it all day today. I'll report back the results.
                  WH

Comment

• Originally posted by 4king View Post
                    If I recall correctly the 2.5 had a timing chain and there's no reason it should have just lost compression unless it over heated or spun a bearing.
                    That's because you don't know what you're talking about.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by 4king View Post
                      So basically they charged you $140 to pop the hood, if they even did that much. Not to sound negative but they had your truck for one week and then said exactly what I told you they would say about the ac system, and they probably just cut the leaking reservoir line an inch or two shorter to get rid of the leak around the clamp.

I'm probably just being rude because I wish I could charge $140 to pop the hood on your truck and look at it for five minutes
                      You are probably right but I figure between the truck and the wife's car, I still came out ahead. Like I said, I trust a mechanic and don't get upset about bills on my toys if they sound reasonable
                      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

• Thanks! I somehow completely spaced that post. Or maybe I read it but don't remember, not sure

Originally posted by 4king View Post
                        If I recall correctly the 2.5 had a timing chain and there's no reason it should have just lost compression unless it over heated or spun a bearing.
                        Yeah its got a long chain with yellow links for setting the timing. I didn't ask since he said he rebuilt it. My assumption would be any issues caused by that would have been covered in the rebuild. I just have to finish it up.

But me not being nearly the mechanic you guys are, that does raise a question. Couldn't you still lose compression if you simply had a problem with one of the piston rings? Maybe just a faulty ring or something, that breaks and little pieces are missing or who knows what. How could the timing chain keep compression with a bad ring?
                        WH

Comment

• Low compression will be due to bad piston rings or bad valve/valve seats. Too bad the head is on because you could just put a plug in it and while its upside down fill the combustion chamber with fuel and see if it leaks out. Honestly if the cylinder wall didn't need to be honed then chances are the issue is in the head, Could have been a blown head gasket too.

Comment

• So I have this 69 year old customer. He wanted a nice used pickup to drive around. Found a super super clean 04 Dodge 1500 crew cab with 74k miles on it and the nicest Dodge truck interior I ever saw. Seats done like an 03/04 Cobra. Well this truck has a growl to it. Pop the hood and see a brand new 6.1 Hemi in it with a nitrous system. See it has a new trans with a 4000 RPM stall, full spool and some gears and ladder bars. He knew none of this. I told him watch out because when I drove it and nailed it that it was quite the handful. We did brakes and ball joints and control arms.

Well guess he played with it this weekend and slammed into something. How he drove it home and then here........ I get less amazed at the amazing stuff I see. LOL

Snapped the inner tie rod, blew the racks seals, destroyed the ball joint we JUST installed, ate up the SRT10 front bumper and somehow caved in the tailgate.

Comment

• Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
                              Low compression will be due to bad piston rings or bad valve/valve seats. Too bad the head is on because you could just put a plug in it and while its upside down fill the combustion chamber with fuel and see if it leaks out. Honestly if the cylinder wall didn't need to be honed then chances are the issue is in the head, Could have been a blown head gasket too.
                              Get resources and info about staying safe on America’s roads. And, find out if there’s a recall on your car or how to report a vehicle safety problem.
                              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                                That's because you don't know what you're talking about.
                                The 2.5 is timing chain driven. Loss of compression to me indicates the car overheated and has a blown head gasket, or was starved of oil.

Seeing as how the head was taken off most likely had a bad head gasket. I do not recall the original poster mentioning if the head was sent off to be rebuilt

I'm not physically looking at his car or anything so you're probably right.

If it was a piston ring the car should have had smoking symptoms, even then re assembly would be more complicated because the whole engine was dis assembled to replace the piston ring. Then there is also a possibility of damage to the cylinder walls
                                Last edited by 4king; 10-12-2015, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X