Building a pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
    1 - Don't waste your money (heat for hot tub only, and only if you have health issues)

2- Yes on the cover

3 - I saw last week that Lowes has wrought iron 5ft. sections at around $60-70. per, both 5 ft. and 6 ft. a post hole digger and some bags of concrete and some elbow grease and your set, if not plan on paying $20-$30 a sq. ft.

4 - Yes on the controller, always nice to be able to control remotely and you can also turn off lights, pumps, etc.

5 - 8 months to a year depending on weather and the crew the company uses.
    Damn!!! 8 months is way more than what we were told lol. Heres to hoping it was because you built a resort style pool and Im building a glorified water fountain!

Comment

Also, the deeper/larger the pool the cooler it stays in Texas, small shallow pools get unbearable hot.

One of my best friend plumbs pools and I have spent a lot of time at his company and was there every step of the way for his pool build. Of which he didn't build until recently because they are a pain in the ass to maintain and hes been in the business for 30+ years.
      His wife pressured him to finally build one...and he hates it, lmao! He built a bad boy though, right at a $100K all at cost.
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

full time shade means you will be heating the pool more.

We had two of these on the sides, and you could move them to make shade where you want.

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
          Damn!!! 8 months is way more than what we were told lol. Heres to hoping it was because you built a resort style pool and Im building a glorified water fountain!
          Well, let me give it to you this way, salesman LIE, no matter what kind of sales they do, its in thier DNA!

My buddy did build a resort type pool and his took a little over a year, my cousin built a small peanut sized standard pool, it took close to 10 months.

Also, be prepared to have a no use of your back yard and side yard for the entire build process and a giant mud hole for a majority of the build time, lol...
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

1 - Don't waste your money (heat for hot tub only, and only if you have health issues)
            I disagree with this if you have kids or if you like entertaining a lot. A pool that small wouldn't cost a ton to heat and extends or makes the pool available year round. Even if you don't use it a ton during the winter if you have any kids it's always fun to be able to have a pool party when its cold.

On the gate if you're really wanting something that is a throw away this is what I put up mainly to keep the dog on the other side of the yard. HD and Lowes both carry it.

Comment

I put in a heater a couple years ago - can't believe it took me as long as it did. We turn it up around the middle of Feb til about the first of May and again from mid Sept through October. We also have a solar cover, and with that combo the gas bill isn't bad at all. Without the solar cover the gas bill/water bill will be significant if you try to keep the pool heated at all times. My son can swim most of the year and we get in a few nights a week in the cooler months and treat it as a hot tub.

I have a chiller I run usually around the first to middle of July and run through August. I have no direct shade over the pool so without it the water will reach close to 100 in August and be unbearable. I just use a cheap PVC type aerator/mister that plugs into a side return. About $40 and it'll cool the pool down about 8 degrees if you run it at night for 4-5 nights.

We got our fence through a company called "Protect a Child" and it was pretty reasonable.
              Originally posted by davbrucas
              I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I actually have a mesh style safety fence that I never installed that i'd be willing to let go cheap. I would have to look and see how big it is but it was big enough to cover the perimeter around my entire pool. This style usually is drilled into the concrete and you can pool it up as needed/wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
                  On the gate if you're really wanting something that is a throw away this is what I put up mainly to keep the dog on the other side of the yard. HD and Lowes both carry it.

https://www.mnhomeoutlet.com/hampton...e-panel-860039
                  I wouldn't trust my kids life with that setup.

Comment

Well, let me give it to you this way, salesman LIE, no matter what kind of sales they do, its in thier DNA!

My buddy did build a resort type pool and his took a little over a year, my cousin built a small peanut sized standard pool, it took close to 10 months.

Also, be prepared to have a no use of your back yard and side yard for the entire build process and a giant mud hole for a majority of the build time, lol...
                    I'm ready for the suck...but every builder we talked to said 3 months. I mean out entire house only took 6-7 tops.

Thanks for the fence suggestion...that's what I'll probably do. Itll only be $500-1000 for a true iron fence at that rate and sturdy enough for my son.

Sounds like the heater/chiller was a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                      I wouldn't trust my kids life with that setup.
                      Yeah mine was for the dog.

Comment

If all goes well I'll have a pool at my new house in Parker/Lucas, my new house is on a acre and no house on once side, so I could careless how long it takes and I'll have plenty of yard and a big patio until they finish..

One thing I have learned is the contractor diggng the hole, the gunite and the plumbing have to be scheduled in and you ain't the only one getting a pool, weather is a big factor, too muddy/rain, no digging, too hot/wet and no gunite.

Not trying to scare you, but i'm lol at 3 months...

Comment

If all goes well I'll have a pool at my new house in Parker/Lucas, my new house is on a acre and no house on once side, so I could careless how long it takes and I'll have plenty of yard and a big patio until they finish..

One thing I have learned is the contractor diggng the hole, the gunite and the plumbing have to be scheduled in and you ain't the only one getting a pool, weather is a big factor, too muddy/rain, no digging, too hot/wet and no gunite.

Not trying to scare you, but i'm lol at 3 months...
                          If I had expected it to be ready by the summer swim season I would be stressing about timeline, but realistically I dont expect to get much use until next year anyways because of the time of year that we started.

I'll keep yall updated on build schedule just for the sake of a data point. But this also is a straight forward simple pool so that may be a factor.

And the house in Lucas sounds baddas and expensive. Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                            I'm ready for the suck...but every builder we talked to said 3 months. I mean out entire house only took 6-7 tops.

Thanks for the fence suggestion...that's what I'll probably do. Itll only be $500-1000 for a true iron fence at that rate and sturdy enough for my son.

Sounds like the heater/chiller was a good idea.
                            Not all HDs carry it. Lewisville does, they also have flanged posts you can mount to a slab with anchors, use the brackets they sell for mounting the panels to posts. It is a pain in the ass to weld that stuff, you can also get bolt on brackets for gates and such I’m not sure if HD carries them, I buy them from a supplier in Dallas.

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                              Not all HDs carry it. Lewisville does, they also have flanged posts you can mount to a slab with anchors, use the brackets they sell for mounting the panels to posts. It is a pain in the ass to weld that stuff, you can also get bolt on brackets for gates and such I’m not sure if HD carries them, I buy them from a supplier in Dallas.
                              Will you share your supplier? Or is there a min buy?

Comment

Had a pool, fuck that, never ever again. I will say SVO hooked me up on some parts when I had issues.. Fuck pools, did I say that ?

Comment

Working...
                                X