No announcement yet.

Off Road Trailer (Truck Bed) Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you register the trailer as home made ?
    HOw does it pull ?

Im searching craigslist now LOL

Comment

Originally posted by HECDOGGIE View Post
      Do you register the trailer as home made ?
      HOw does it pull ?

Im searching craigslist now LOL
      I actually have to admit that I have not registered it in Texas yet. It has a perm trailer tag from AZ (which is why I haven't changed it over yet), including a "vin plate" and a title, so when I do I will likely just use the title. But yeah, most people buy these on a Bill of Sale only and register as homemade.

It pulls great, even with the short tongue. No swaying or anything.

I have seen a few of the Courier bed trailers and older Toyota bed trailers that are very similar come up on CL, but they are not always available. You just have to keep your eye out. I like both of those because of the external tie-downs on the bed. They come in really handy when using them without caps.

There are almost always full size truck bed trailers, but those are way too big, IMO.

Comment

What I would really prefer is a fiberglass utility bed designed for a small truck (like a Ranger). I have seen a few builds based on those and they are great as camping trailers because they already have plenty of built in doors for all of the gear. Those are even harder to come by for a reasonable price though. Aluminum is a good alternative as well.

I have seen people build some really cool ones with steel bodies, but those get pretty heavy.

This is one of my favorites (from expeditionportal.com):

Comment

Man, that's pretty cool. Good work dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
            What I would really prefer is a fiberglass utility bed designed for a small truck (like a Ranger). I have seen a few builds based on those and they are great as camping trailers because they already have plenty of built in doors for all of the gear. Those are even harder to come by for a reasonable price though. Aluminum is a good alternative as well.

I have seen people build some really cool ones with steel bodies, but those get pretty heavy.

This is one of my favorites (from expeditionportal.com):

I wish I would have seen this sooner, I gave away a dually utility bed last year because it had some rusted out bins and most of the latches needed replacing. Never considered doing something like that with it.

Comment

Where is a good place to camp in Colorado ?

Im thinking of an October Trip with the family.

Comment

Originally posted by HECDOGGIE View Post
                Where is a good place to camp in Colorado ?

Im thinking of an October Trip with the family.
                Colorado is full of public land. There's tons of amazing places. If you go in October, be prepared for snow. I've been snowed on in September. Also, rifle season for elk starts in October, so the mountains will be crawling with trigger-happy hunters who paid a lot of money to shoot something. Better make sure everyone is decked out in blaze orange, stays close to camp, and doesn't make too much racket. It's really just not the best time to go unless you stay in a town or at least at lower elevations. I was actually planning an October trip this year, but moved it back to late September. Fall is beautiful there, with all the aspens turning bright yellow. If you plan on being up high, take warm and cold weather gear (thermals, wool socks, something to cover your head, a good sleeping bag, etc). It can get well below freezing at night. I love that shit.

Comment

Saw a M102 for sale that looked brand new for $1,500.

Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                    Colorado is full of public land. There's tons of amazing places. If you go in October, be prepared for snow. I've been snowed on in September. Also, rifle season for elk starts in October, so the mountains will be crawling with trigger-happy hunters who paid a lot of money to shoot something. Better make sure everyone is decked out in blaze orange, stays close to camp, and doesn't make too much racket. It's really just not the best time to go unless you stay in a town or at least at lower elevations. I was actually planning an October trip this year, but moved it back to late September. Fall is beautiful there, with all the aspens turning bright yellow. If you plan on being up high, take warm and cold weather gear (thermals, wool socks, something to cover your head, a good sleeping bag, etc). It can get well below freezing at night. I love that shit.

Good info... thanks !

Comment

I'm currently working on my Overland/Expedition Jeep. They have an awesome thread on the JK forums regarding equipment, trailers, RTT, refrigerators, gear, gps...its definitely worth checking out if you're into that stuff. Also The Overland Journal is worth checking out as well.

JK Show & Tell - Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!! - There are many rock-crawler modded JKs on here, which is understandable but who's modding their's for expedition type travel and long haul trips? I'm preparing mine for the above and am having a custom safari roof rack, winch bumper (LOD mid-width) and Wartn...

Trailers

Last edited by gripenfelter; 07-16-2014, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gripenfelter View Post
                        I'm currently working on my Overland/Expedition Jeep. They have an awesome thread on the JK forums regarding equipment, trailers, RTT, refrigerators, gear, gps...its definitely worth checking out if you're into that stuff. Also The Overland Journal is worth checking out as well.

JK Show & Tell - Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!! - There are many rock-crawler modded JKs on here, which is understandable but who's modding their's for expedition type travel and long haul trips? I'm preparing mine for the above and am having a custom safari roof rack, winch bumper (LOD mid-width) and Wartn...

Trailers

I have spent a good deal of time on expeditionportal.com, which is where many of my ideas are coming from. I am also familiar with the Overland Journal.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X