Low Disk Space help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Disk Space help!

I have a Win10 computer that I built a couple of years ago as a budget gaming rig to play a couple of older games and do some light photo/video editing. One area that I saved money on was going on a smallish 222 GB SSD HD.

The past couple of weeks I've been noticing HD space shrinking and didn't think much of it until I started getting low disk space warnings. I'm talking about maybe 100 MB of free space. WTF.

I haven't installed any new apps or anything. So I went on a cleaning spree yesterday. I removed an extra browser (Opera) that I didn't really use anyway, couple of small apps like Spotify and Pandora, started moving documents and pictures to an external HD, and I removed a couple of games that WERE taking up a lot of space (but that had never been an issue until recently).

So I managed to free up some space and had 4.3 GB of room on my SSD. I logged into my desktop just now (I rarely turn it off) and got another low disk space warning. Checked and I was showing 0 free. WTF! Rebooted and 1.19 GB free.

WTF is going on? Is my computer infected with something? I've always been good with not installing anything from unknown sources. Hell I don't even download illegal apps anymore. Just the occasional movie.

Unless I can get this figured out, I may go ahead and wipe out the drive and start over. I'd rather not do that unless I have to but it's not that big of a deal to me either.

What I'm more concerned with is knowing why this is happening. Any ideas?

Install windirstat to see what's using so much space.

Comment

Thanks man, I found a .WDTemp folder that has 65 GB in it. I suspect it has something to do with the WD external HD I have. Looking into it now.

Comment

Right on bubba, lmk if I can help any more.

Comment

Some Googlefu and it turns out that it has to do with my WD MyCloud NAS that I use and the sync program. It's having problems syncing with files from the looks of it so it keeps creating a temp copy of it. And it's been doing it for a year or so or however long I've been using this drive on my computer. Deleting the contents of it now. Thanks again Bryan for the suggestion on the app!

Comment

Good deal man. I use Backblaze for my bup stuffs.

Comment

I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X