Wanted: Linux freaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Linux freaks

I'm hoping someone here can lend a hand with an application I'm trying to install on Kali Linux.

I'm basically following a set of instructions to set up RVM, Ruby, Passenger, and probably a few other things and I keep running into issues. Latest road block is when trying to install Ruby. I enter 'rvm install 2.1.5' but end up with an error

Searching for binary rubies, this might take some time.
    No binary rubies available for: kali/kali-rolling/x86_64/ruby-2.1.5
    Continuing with compilation. please read 'rvm help mount' to get more information on binary rubies
    Checking requirements for Kali.
    Installing requirements for Kali.
    Updating System.. There has been an error while updating your system using 'apt-get'
    It seems there are some 404 Not Found errors for repositories listed in:

/etc.apt/sources.list
    /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list

Make sure that all the repositories are avail from your system and verify your setup by running manually:

sudo apt-get update

"Error running 'requirements_debian_update_system ruby -2.1.5', please read /usr/local/rvm/log/1510537389_ruby-2.1.5/update_system.log
    Requirements installation failed with status: 100"

Trying to learn Linux via Google has been challenging to say the least. I'm basically using two sources to try and crawl through this.

Any penguin heads willing to lend a hand?
    Last edited by GeorgeG.; 11-12-2017, 08:00 PM.

I think there are a couple of linux guys around here, but I believe you'll have much better luck if you ask here:

Tons of salivating linux fanboys there.
    WH

Comment

When you're trying to get help, you need to paste the command you're running that generates the error message for context.

In particular for this output, it sounds like just and apt install, but it helps to clarify.
      Code:
      Searching for binary rubies, this might take some time.
      No binary rubies available for: kali/kali-rolling/x86_64/ruby-2.1.5
      Continuing with compilation. please read 'rvm help mount' to get more information on binary rubies
      Checking requirements for Kali.
      Installing requirements for Kali.
      Updating System.. There has been an error while updating your system using 'apt-get'
      Why not use Ubuntu instead of Kali Linux?
      Last edited by abecx; 11-13-2017, 10:49 AM.

Comment

My enterprise experience is running Apache servers utilizing Linux CentOS. Like Abecx said. You need to post the specific command that is creating the error.

Comment

the main reason is that I'm not Linux savy. I'm working to install PhishingFrenzy and since someone posted a video and step-by-step link would make it painless and easy. I'm slowly making progress. I made it to the 'passenger-install-apache2-module' and It's telling me I need to more dependencies before completing. It was three but I resolved one. I need 'apache2-threaded-dev' and 'libaprutil1-dev'.

I'd cut/paste the info but the connection on that box is ridiculously slow for some reason.

Comment

You're asking for help to install a phishing email manager? Why?

Comment

lol, I'm planning to create a phishing awareness campaign for our users. This program can send out fake phishing email and give reports on who clicks it. We can use this to gauge the effectiveness of our awareness efforts.

Comment

If this is a dedicated machine, you really dont need RVM. RVM is just an environment manager so you can run multiple versions of Ruby with different gems/configs.

I need access to your machine to help more, it looks like probably bad entries in source list.

Comment

thanks for the offer. It may come to that if it doesn't work but so far I'm slowly making progress. It's been a lot of trial and error so whether or not PF works when I'm done will tell me if I completely f'd this up.

Can you tell me how I edit the database.yml? I need to change the username and password to what I set when I ran # MYSQL -u username -p. The database.yml file has a different username and password. This is what I get but I don't know how to change it.

[cat config/database.yml
                  # MySQL. Versions 4.1 and 5.0 are recommended.
                  #
                  # Install the MYSQL driver
                  # gem install mysql2
                  #
                  # Ensure the MySQL gem is defined in your Gemfile
                  # gem 'mysql2'
                  #
                  # And be sure to use new-style password hashing:
                  # http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html
                  development:
                  adapter: mysql2
                  encoding: utf8
                  reconnect: false
                  database: pf_dev
                  pool: 25
                  username: pf_dev
                  password: password
                  host: localhost

Comment

I think I got it... Trying to reload Apache, I think this has to be done for it to take affect....

Well, I'm still missing something. I restarted Apache (read that somewhere) and MySQL after edited the database.yml from a text editor and when I run 'cat config/database.yml' it still shows the default username and password it created.
                    Last edited by GeorgeG.; 11-16-2017, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Nice work, have fun with the spamming!

Comment

Working...
                      X