Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jury awards Ventura $1.8M in Chris Kyle defamation case

Daaaamn.

ST. PAUL, Minn. — A jury awarded former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura $1.8 million on Tuesday in his lawsuit against the estate of "American Sniper" author Chris Kyle.

On the sixth day of deliberations, the federal jury decided that the 2012 best-selling book defamed Ventura in its description of a bar fight in California in 2006. Kyle wrote that he decked a man whom he later identified as Ventura after the man allegedly said the Navy SEALs "deserve to lose a few."

Ventura testified that Kyle fabricated the passage about punching him. Kyle said in testimony videotaped before his death last year that his story was accurate.

Legal experts had said Ventura had to clear a high legal bar to win, since as a public figure he had to prove "actual malice." According to the jury instructions, Ventura had to prove with "clear and convincing evidence" that Kyle either knew or believed what he wrote was untrue, or that he harbored serious doubts about its truth.

The jury told the judge Monday that it didn't believe it could reach a unanimous verdict, but the judge instructed them to continue. On Tuesday, attorneys for both sides agreed that the verdict did not need to be unanimous and would allow a verdict if only eight of 10 jurors agreed.

After finding in favor of Ventura, the jury was also tasked with awarding damages for any harm to his reputation, humiliation and embarrassment. Jurors had to find that Ventura suffered an economic loss as a direct result of Kyle's statements, or that Kyle used Ventura to profit unjustly.

Neither Ventura nor Chris Kyle's widow, Taya Kyle, were in the courtroom for the verdict. Chris Kyle was killed at a North Texas gun range last year, so his widow is executor of his estate with control over proceeds from book royalties and movie rights.

In his closing argument, Ventura attorney David Bradley Olsen said he believes Kyle's estate has earned more than $6 million from the book, and suggested that $5 million to $15 million would be reasonable compensation for what he said was irreparable harm to Ventura's reputation.

"The verdict will tell the world Chris Kyle's story was a lie," Olsen said.

Olsen said Kyle's claims that Ventura said he hated America, thought the U.S. military was killing innocent civilians in Iraq and that the SEALs "deserve to lose a few" had made him a pariah in the community that mattered most to him — the brotherhood of current and former SEALs.

"One-point-five million people have bought the book," he said. "Millions more heard Fox TV trash Jesse Ventura because of it. And the story went viral on the Internet and will be there forever."

Defense attorney John Borger had told jurors in his own closing argument that the 11 witnesses presented by the defense "tell a compelling and consistent story" that backed Kyle's version.

U.S. District Judge Richard Kyle, who is not related to the author, told jurors they weren't charged with determining whether Ventura was punched, but rather whether he was defamed by the remarks Kyle attributed to him.

Chris Kyle, regarded as the deadliest military sniper in U.S. history, included a brief account in his book of a confrontation at a bar in Coronado, California, with a man he called "Scruff Face." In promotional interviews, Kyle identified the man as Ventura, a former SEAL who became a pro wrestler and movie actor before being elected for one term as Minnesota governor in 1998. Ventura was in Coronado for a SEAL reunion and graduation ceremony.

Olsen said inconsistencies in testimony from defense witnesses about what happened the night of Oct. 12, 2006, were so serious that their stories couldn't be trusted. He also pointed out that people who were with Ventura that night testified that the alleged confrontation never happened. And he said Ventura would never have said any of the remarks attributed to him because he remains proud of his and his parents' military service.

"The statement is completely out of character for Jesse Ventura. He never said anything like that in his life, and he never will," he said.

Ventura testified that his income as a television personality fell sharply as job offers dried up in the wake of "American Sniper." Borger said Ventura's career as an entertainer was in decline well before that.

A fucking disgrace...
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

So who has to pay that?

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
        So who has to pay that?
        It reads that CK's wife, since she is in charge of his estate.
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Hopefully she can appeal it

Comment

Ventura is a piece of shit.
            2007 Silverado CC
            1970 Mustang Coupe

True Street Motorsports. 972-542-9886

Comment

Yeah he is, I hope he doesn't get a single fucking penny from CK's estate...

Comment

I definitely don't agree with the award amount but I can understand why Ventura did sued. You can't drag someone's name through the mud with a made up story like that. On that note, before his death, was Kyle ever able to present evidence to back up his claims?

All that said, IMO, from a publicity standpoint, Ventura would well served to excuse a big chunk of that money. He got his reputation back and the man is dead. There is no reason to hang this on the man's wife..

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
                  Hopefully she can appeal it
                  Hopefully it gets paid out before she signs a movie deal, it might be worth 20x as much.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                    Hopefully it gets paid out before she signs a movie deal, it might be worth 20x as much.
                    I don't think the judgement can be increased, even if there is a movie deal. They just need to leave any mention of Ventura out of the movie.

Comment

I wanna see him get decked in a movie

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                        I wanna see him get decked in a movie
                        haha, that would be nice. Have some jerk off talking shit at the Seal reunion and then show Kyle floor his old ass. Of course he would probably sue, again.

Comment

What a scumbag. Broke dick needs money.
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                            I definitely don't agree with the award amount but I can understand why Ventura did sued. You can't drag someone's name through the mud with a made up story like that. On that note, before his death, was Kyle ever able to present evidence to back up his claims?

All that said, IMO, from a publicity standpoint, Ventura would well served to excuse a big chunk of that money. He got his reputation back and the man is dead. There is no reason to hang this on the man's wife..
                            If it was a made up story then that is a shitty thing to say about another SEAL, but who knows. Obviously the court saw it Ventura's way and I'm sure the above article barely scratches the surface as far as evidence/testimony that was presented to the jury.

Either way it would be a class act for Jessie to donate the entire amount to some kind of charity that benefits the families of fallen SEALs

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                              I don't think the judgement can be increased, even if there is a movie deal. They just need to leave any mention of Ventura out of the movie.
                              They could argue that the movie wouldn't be as popular if it wasn't for the book. It'd be a good will effort to offer him a cameo in it, where he gets his ass kicked.

Comment

Working...
                              X