Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one? Opinions?

Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
    There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
      Like matt?

Others, thanks for the info!

School me on pros/cons of DRO?
      Pros: repeatability and accuracy, ease of use, you don't have to count turns, you can zero anywhere.

Cons: cost

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
      I always found Techshop kind of odd. They had welders, CNC machines, laser cutters and water jets and you'd mostly hear about hippies in there making T-shirts or artists building useless shit that no one cares about.

I think that was part of their downfall. They tried to be too many thing to too many people. The footprint was massive but several sections were almost untouched. There was a cnc quilter, a electronics lab and other crafting shit only used by maybe 2-3% of members at best.

Machines were constantly breaking because they don't actually teach how to use the high end machines. It's just a safety course for liability purposes. Damn near every time I was there...some moron crashed a cnc machine into the table or workpiece.

Speaking of courses, they were expensive and required for all major equipment. So after paying 160 a month, you also had to pay to access equipment. People couldn't afford to take all these classes so they were going to a building full of equipment they couldn't use.

The popular equipment (cnc and lasers) was usually booked pretty solid so it was hard to find a time to get on.

They should have used the first 1 or 2 to understand usage and then but equipment based solely on what btongs members.

And yeah it was loaded down with stupid crafts. That's what happens when STEM becomes STEAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        Pros: repeatability and accuracy, ease of use, you don't have to count turns, you can zero anywhere.

Cons: cost

I think that was part of their downfall. They tried to be too many thing to too many people. The footprint was massive but several sections were almost untouched. There was a cnc quilter, a electronics lab and other crafting shit only used by maybe 2-3% of members at best.

Machines were constantly breaking because they don't actually teach how to use the high end machines. It's just a safety course for liability purposes. Damn near every time I was there...some moron crashed a cnc machine into the table or workpiece.

Speaking of courses, they were expensive and required for all major equipment. So after paying 160 a month, you also had to pay to access equipment. People couldn't afford to take all these classes so they were going to a building full of equipment they couldn't use.

The popular equipment (cnc and lasers) was usually booked pretty solid so it was hard to find a time to get on.

They should have used the first 1 or 2 to understand usage and then but equipment based solely on what btongs members.

And yeah it was loaded down with stupid crafts. That's what happens when STEM becomes STEAM.
        I can only imagine the scale of the problem. Lots of people think they can do all sorts of things. I used to think I could TIG weld until I actually bought a machine. Then I realized that I need a hell of a lot of practice.
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Originally posted by racrguy
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
          Speed and accuracy for sure. We’ve got a VFD on our lathes at work which make speed changes as easy as tuning a knob. I bet changing gears to change speeds gets to be a pain in the ass.
          Last edited by 4EyedTurd; 11-16-2017, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny
            I can only imagine the scale of the problem. Lots of people think they can do all sorts of things. I used to think I could TIG weld until I actually bought a machine. Then I realized that I need a hell of a lot of practice.
            I fear this effort of mine may fall into this category. Would hate to invest in an awesome, e.g. expensive machine, just to have it gather dust, instead of chips.
            There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Using a lathe is easier than welding IMO. Getting what you need the first time when you are new to the hobby is the hard part.

You're welcome to come a get a crash course if you are seriously interetsed in getting a machine. In 30 minutes you will know if this is for you or not and have a good idea what you may or may not need.

You need a DRO unless you don't plan on doing any precision work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Get on YouTube and watch tubalcain and Abom79 videos, and take every opportunity to make something with it. Want custom drawer pulls outta some random ass material, go make it. I could spend a lot of time running a lathe if I had one at home. That’s cause I enjoy it and the shit takes forever.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                  You're welcome to come a get a crash course if you are seriously interetsed in getting a machine. In 30 minutes you will know if this is for you or not and have a good idea what you may or may not need.
                  You have a PM

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                  Get on YouTube and watch tubalcain and Abom79 videos, and take every opportunity to make something with it. Want custom drawer pulls outta some random ass material, go make it. I could spend a lot of time running a lathe if I had one at home. That’s cause I enjoy it and the shit takes forever.
                  Excellent ideas. Been thinking what would be god first projects for the layman. thanks!

Comment

Great meeting you Doss. After that little intro, I'm convinced, i want a tool, not a project. Since ya just dont know what you're going to get when used, I'm going ro save up my pennies and buy new. However, i encourage additiinal comments and input. As usual, you guys bring the tech!

Comment

Brooks works 2nd shift and is a great resource. I'm just sayin'...
                      sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                      17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                      13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                      86 SVO - Sold
                      '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                      01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                      65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

I would get the biggest spindle bore possible because that really comes in handy, and like others have said get a DRO. Keep clothes away from anything moving, dont pull streamers with your hands and remember that the machine ALWAYS wins!

I made big precision machinery rollers for 18yrs on a 16x240 lathe. I wish I had room and power for something at home.
                        Justin

Comment

Originally posted by the spindoctor View Post
                          Keep clothes away from anything moving, dont pull streamers with your hands and remember that the machine ALWAYS wins!
                          This. Speaking from experience machine ALWAYS wins. Lucky for me no bad injuries but came very close to some more than once.

Comment

I had an oh shit moment one of the first times I was parting a piece off and it grabbed and walked up the tool. Completely wrecked the part and the tool and scared the piss out of me and I’m still overly cautious parting stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                              To tie onto this one, you should also check out Keith Rucker’s channel at: https://www.youtube.com/user/ksruckerowwm he typically has older machinery that requires some ingenious workarounds, then there Tom Lipton with his channel oxtoolco at: https://www.youtube.com/user/oxtoolco he focuses mainly on high precision machining and metrology. All of the folks you’ve been told about so far are experts, and I’ve learned a ton of stuff from all of them and I don’t even have a machine. If you would like a more “modern” channel that focuses on CNC et al, check out NYC CNC at https://www.youtube.com/user/saunixcomp that guy started in his apartment in New York (I’m certain his neighbors HATED him. Lol)

Comment

Man, I must say, you guys kick ass. I've posted this same question to various sites, some machinist sites too, and this is, by far, the best content.
                                Thank you!

Yes, safety is of great concern. I learned this as a youth and being around my aviation mechanic/pilot grand father and RxR Engineer father. As well as my 9 fingered shop teacher. (We all had one. )
                                I am now actively looking into the following.
                                WBL290F with DRO

And a small
                                The LittleMachineShop HiTorque Bench Mill 5500 incorporates true quill and drill press-style handles for easy drilling. Shop this benchtop mill for sale today.

Both in R8 and misc MT

Ultimately, I'll have something similar to this layout. Not as dark, or as big, but similar.

Comment

Working...
                                X