Any machinists? Jet BD-920N opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
    Man, I must say, you guys kick ass. I've posted this same question to various sites, some machinist sites too, and this is, by far, the best content.
    Thank you!

Yes, safety is of great concern. I learned this as a youth and being around my aviation mechanic/pilot grand father and RxR Engineer father. As well as my 9 fingered shop teacher. (We all had one. )
    I am now actively looking into the following.
    WBL290F with DRO

And a small
    The LittleMachineShop HiTorque Bench Mill 5500 incorporates true quill and drill press-style handles for easy drilling. Shop this benchtop mill for sale today.

Both in R8 and misc MT
    That 290 specs out real nice 1.5" spindle bore as well. Hell Ive considered selling mine to upgrade to that.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
      That 290 specs out real nice 1.5" spindle bore as well. Hell Ive considered selling mine to upgrade to that.
      I've got a neighbor who says he has an Enco mill and lathe for sale. I'm supposed to go see them the last Friday of the month. We'll see what he has amd what kind of shape they are in. Obviously, hopes are high, but I wont get too hyped up. Folks are pretty proud of their machines......
      Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
      There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Found the ads I THINK my neighbor is talking about. Both Enco mill and lathe and in Aledo. Coincidence? I'm thinking not.

Your opinions on both, on prices too, are greatly appreciated.

Mill

Lathe

I'm betting I could walk in w/ $5k and get both. However, I think both are much bigger than I'll ever need and neither have a DRO. Unknown tooling, if any.
        There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Both look ok to me but I would try them out and make sure they can hold tolerance and make sure everything works.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
            Found the ads I THINK my neighbor is talking about. Both Enco mill and lathe and in Aledo. Coincidence? I'm thinking not.

Your opinions on both, on prices too, are greatly appreciated.

Mill

Lathe

I'm betting I could walk in w/ $5k and get both. However, I think both are much bigger than I'll ever need and neither have a DRO. Unknown tooling, if any.

I bet neither are used hard. The lathe still has that bullshit 4 position tool post on it and that mill has the equivalent of a childs toy for a vise. Anyone who uses one more than a few times immediately ditches that thing. Both have surface rust on them, that little knee mill is pretty cool, beware is has no quick change for speed and you have to manually adjust belts in the top end of it. MAJOR bitch. General machining you wont need to change it much though. I think they are asking top dollar for the condition that I see. Like I told you, people think these machine appreciate in value or at the least just dont lose any. I would start with a 3k offer for both and work up to 4k-4500 if they are immaculate. if they are in good enough shape. Both of those are more than capable of keeping any kind of hobby machinist very busy.

Comment

Yeah. I'm thinking way too big for me right now. While I'm sure I can get them for cheaper than advertised..... If they are that proud of them, they'll still have the Enco's when I have a shop. As cool as it would be to have a set of matching Enco's, it isn't 3-4k cool.

Happy to take a look at those Enco's for anyone who is interested.

Comment

Keith Fenner is also good on Youtube

My favorite all around person though is This Old Tony. Hes hilarious

Comment

Oh yeah, This Old Tony has some good humor and top notch skills

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                    Keith Fenner is also good on Youtube

My favorite all around person though is This Old Tony. Hes hilarious
                    My only problem with Keith’s videos are that 1) they’re too long and 2) he’s so dry it’s hard to keep my attention. I agree on This Old Tony.

Comment

Damn you! Travel ..... lol

Comment

Fly out, rent a truck and uhaul trailer.

Comment

Working...
                        X