Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DoubleTap Penetration and expansion of various calibers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
    bitches can't deal with a 10mm.
    Ah yes that is true... very true... Matt?
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
      OK what do you consider everywhere? If it can be found at Walmart I'd consider that "everywhere". But I've yet to see any 10mm there but I do find regularly there .357 Sig.
      Gander, Academy, CTD, cabellas, a pawn shop, and other gun shops. Haven't looked at Walmart but then again I avoid that place whenever possible.

Sent from my Super Schweet G2
      1988GT DSS pro bullet 306,pp track heat heads, pp downs box intake, TFS stage II cam, S-trim 13lbs, 503/461
      2002 VTX 1800C Chopped and Raked
      2000 F250 4x4 PSD
      2012 Ford Exploder
      www.fquick.com/payne5757
      www.myspace.com/payne5757

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
        Guess what, it's longer! Why?! Because it isn't in an outdated archaic framed revolver! mwa hahaha! The new 10mm cartridge is in a semi auto, which allows for a larger barrel in a smaller frame with the same overall size. And that is precisely why this test is about carry weapons and self defense. If a .44 mag carry revolver was in this test, it would not put the 10mm to shame at all. Quite the opposite. Remember - I'm the same guy that made the thread praising how badass the .44 magnum cartridge is - in a full frame revolver. When it comes to compact carry weapons, it has no place.
        Well, when you narrow it down to a specialized niche, then I guess it's the only place a 10mm can outshine a .44 Mag.

Sure, but I have a good feeling it's going to be quite surprising in front of my chronograph - which I hope Adam will let me do soon! My point is, in carry weapons the 10mm is better than the .44. It just doesn't do well in short barrels. However, the .44 mag is in a totally different ballpark when it comes to full frame guns, like 5"+ barrels. However, the 10mm has a special place - it's a semi auto cartridge, not a revolver cartridge. You can find full frame guns that can hold 15 rounds of 10mm - that's impressive. When it comes to semi auto the 10mm is one of the king dicks. When it comes to revolver cartridges the .44 is about 5 clicks below the top of the charts any longer. I still love the hell out of it (it's one of my favorites) but I think your opinion of the 10mm being outdated, archaic, old, and out of use is hardly the truth. I bet you in 10 years the 10mm will be considerably more popular. It's been resurging in popularity recently, and I can find it at academy, dicks sporting goods, gun ranges, etc.
        I'm sure there are fans of the 10mm, but I just don't see it surpassing the .44 Mag or even the .357 Mag in popularity, availabilty, etc...

Ah yes that is true... very true... Matt?
        I've shot both the 10mm and Adam's .454 Casull. I'd rather shoot the 10mm.

Comment

For those of you not familiar with DoubleTap, they are one of the few ammunition manufacturers that loads all of their rounds to nuclear/SAAMI limits. Almost all of these are max charges and the very limits of what is achievable without losing a hand. Some of those numbers are pretty impressive. Especially the 10mm showing 61% expansion on the 165gr, and 19.5" of penetration on the 200gr XTP - wow.
          This brand is definitely known for 10mm. If you're not handloading and buying commercial, this would be the brand to get especially in .308/.223 for hunting...
          sigpic
          COBRA WANTS YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by payne5757 View Post
            Gander, Academy, CTD, cabellas, a pawn shop, and other gun shops. Haven't looked at Walmart but then again I avoid that place whenever possible.

Sent from my Super Schweet G2
            Academy is the only one you listed I would consider to be "everywhere" and that's pushing it somewhat. Gander, CTD, Cabella's are not what I consider "everywhere" unless you happen live near one Never seen ammo at a pawn shop unless they sold guns but than again I don't frequent pawn shops to often. I wish I had a Gander's, CTD, or Cabella's near me but I don't so my main ammo supply source (other than the infrequent mail order) is Walmart which are everywhere.

Comment

look at the expansion the 9mm is getting compared to the 40 and 357.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                Well, when you narrow it down to a specialized niche, then I guess it's the only place a 10mm can outshine a .44 Mag.
                "Best" usually depends on intended purpose, among other things.
                Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzo View Post
                  look at the expansion the 9mm is getting compared to the 40 and 357.
                  So would you say it's impressive of the 9mm or disappointing of the .40 S&W and .357 Magnum LOL! I for one like it.

Comment

So would you say it's impressive of the 9mm or disappointing of the .40 S&W and .357 Magnum LOL! I for one like it.
                    I sold all my .40 and .45 guns a couple years ago and replaced them with 9mm

Comment

It's all about velocity. Faster you get that projectile moving, the easier and better it expands. Get it going too fast (like the 135gr 10mm) and it will expand so much/fast it separates and turns into 6 petals flying through you. Those .357 rounds were just disappointing, looks like bad bullet choice honestly.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                      X